In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Lance

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Lance » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:03 am

Chad Peter wrote: Nice. We had one of the larger screen wacoms at work, but no one liked it for editorial work - so it's sitting and collecting dust now. I only started using a wacom a year ago, when my wrist finally gave out and I just couldn't use a mouse anymore without my arm feeling like it was going to fall off. Now I'm on a wacom intuos 4. Love it.
I don't want to hijack the thread but, yeah, I can see how it could be a pain with video editing on what is basically a cloud based super tablet. I'm still rockin' an old Intuos 3. It's cracked and dirty but after working digital images with a mouse for nearly a decade before I was able to get my hands on one I don't feel the need to upgrade any time soon, barring any catastrophic failure. Besides, you pretty much have to go Adobe cloud to use the companion. CS6 master on a pc suits my needs just fine. Still, I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:25 pm

I got Mrs Faldor a wacom for her birthday a few years back. She uses it for some of her illustrations. I've tried to get my head around it for photoshop and after effects work but it has a bit of a learning curve.

I'm currently animating a title sequence for a talk show. I never used to be particularly good at motion graphics but somewhere along the line it started to make sense to me.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:29 pm

Faldor wrote:I got Mrs Faldor a Wacom for her birthday a few years back. She uses it for some of her illustrations. I've tried to get my head around it for photoshop and after effects work but it has a bit of a learning curve.

I'm currently animating a title sequence for a talk show. I never used to be particularly good at motion graphics but somewhere along the line it started to make sense to me.
Takes about two weeks of use to really get acclimated to using a tablet over a mouse, but once you get the hang of it - like driving stick over automatic - you really feel like you have a lot more freedom to move quickly. That said, a mouse is still far more accurate for precision, but speed - hands down - goes to the tablet.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 pm

After 3 seasons of re-animating EVERY motion shot on HoC, I'm leaving for another new series. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/

And did some work on two upcoming features:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2331047
and
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4731136/

Lank

Post by Lank » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:52 am

I'm really curious how he's gonna separate it from the other FIVE THOUSAND procedurals on tv. Not that I doubt his ability.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm between jobs and looking for new opportunities. Does anyone know anybody?

"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Mike wrote:I'm between jobs and looking for new opportunities. Does anyone know anybody?
Skills include hand to hand bear combat.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Chad Peter wrote:Skills include hand to hand bear combat.
I'm trying to avoid a narrow focus, so we can just pitch that as "I'm really good at not dying." That way it encompasses all of my near-death experiences.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:33 am

Mike wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:Skills include hand to hand bear combat.
I'm trying to avoid a narrow focus, so we can just pitch that as "I'm really good at not dying." That way it encompasses all of my near-death experiences.
Good call.
Lank wrote:I'm really curious how he's gonna separate it from the other FIVE THOUSAND procedurals on tv. Not that I doubt his ability.
Same here! But... from what I've seen, so far so good.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:42 pm

I haven't updated what I'm up to in this thread in a while.

So this year I finally landed a paying gig cutting a feature. Not well-paying, mind you, but something I can cross off my bucket list. (And it helps that I am very fond of the project, it's very much up my alley in a sort of plotless-meandering-twentysomething-girl vein. It will be my fourth feature edit.

My second and third features as an editor have premiered at tiny-ass festivals in NYC. All the little chicks leaving the nest.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:28 am

I tried getting my foot in the door with the local male prostitution/dog walking scene but apparently the market is saturated round these parts...back to my old position as an intra-dermal pigmentation technician/socially inept ambassador of awkward.

Heiliger

Post by Heiliger » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:09 am

My stint on ABC's Mistresses is coming to a close and I'm moving onto Golden Globe-winning & Emmy-nominated Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I've never worked on musicals before, so this may be interesting.

Cory

Post by Cory » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm

So the Mindhunters description sounds exactly like a description of Criminal Minds. So can we just call this Criminal Minds: Fincher Edition?
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Cory wrote:So the Mindhunters description sounds exactly like a description of Criminal Minds. So can we just call this Criminal Minds: Fincher Edition?
Sure.

Cory

Post by Cory » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:48 pm

On topic: I'm currently recording the audiobooks for my buddy's novels for royalty share. The recording is easy for me, and cutting isn't so different than video (easier actually), but I'm still getting the hang of mastering. I'm hoping what I learn doing his will lead to some better paying gigs.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Lank

Post by Lank » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:30 am

Heiliger wrote:My stint on ABC's Mistresses is coming to a close and I'm moving onto Golden Globe-winning & Emmy-nominated Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I've never worked on musicals before, so this may be interesting.
Whoa, that's huge! NIce dude!
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Adam, how's that feature coming? When can I go to Arclight to see it?

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Good question. I haven't been called in in ages. The director is tinkering with it, I'm told, but I don't know if it's picture-locked yet. I thought we were in a pretty good place when I last worked on it a few months ago.

Shit, the third feature I edited is still tinkering and it's been in festivals and had a San Francisco theatrical run!

I think the second feature I edited is going to be on Amazon Prime soon though.

===

I want another fun project. I'm doing mostly corporate stuff now. This coming month is going to be tough, a lot of jobs happening at once, but it will be nice to finish out the year with a bang rather than a whimper, money-wise.

I also have a little ongoing gig with a YouTube comedian where I watched his 3000+ library of videos, made a spreadsheet of them by YouTube ID, title, date, summary, etc., and now I do the same with all his current output. It's only a coupla bucks at a time, but, can't go wrong with getting paid to watch stuff. :p

Also, today I got hired to do a poster for a Polish thriller. My movie poster fonts don't have all those accents that Polish has "built in" so I'm gonna have to do them by hand on the billing block, I'm guessing. Oh, the glamour of the industry!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:40 am

Were all three of those features paid gigs? If so, congrats! (Even if not, seems like you're setting up a good editing career).

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Alas, my fourth feature is the only one to pay me so far.

Hoping for a fifth one of these days. I technically have one lined up on an if-we-make-it-the-gig-is-yours, but that's currently in the cross-your-fingers-it-happens-one-day stage, ha ha.