ITT: Faldor Quits The Day Job

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Faldor

ITT: Faldor Quits The Day Job

Post by Faldor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:54 pm

The last couple of years I've been working as a duty manager at a cinema and freelancing in VFX and motion graphics in my spare time. Last year this started to take off, starting on new years day when the 1st AC from a film I'd been working on contacted my about doing some VFX shots for a project of his and by the end of the year I'd edited some in-house videos for a national brand.

Annoyingly there were several occasions where I had to turn work down because of shift work and not being able to swap things around at short notice. So I spent most of 2016 putting spare money to one side and I've now got enough in my pocket to have a go at doing this full time.

I'm putting a new website together and billing myself as Explainer Videos, Live Action Corporate shoots and Web Design. (Don't worry Lank, the t-shirts will be making a come back soon as well)

I've already got one client wanting a website and talking to a local bar about doing some work with them. So there is a chance I might just pull this thing off.

Nic

Re: ITT: Faldor Quits The Day Job

Post by Nic » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:06 am

Congratulations! Living the dream is a goal to which we should all aspire. **Glares at crappy day job**

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Indeed, congrats on having the balls to take a risk. They can't execute you for trying! But there is no try, there is only DO.

Lank

Post by Lank » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Congrats!

Also, yay tshirts!
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:42 pm
Indeed, congrats on having the balls to take a risk.
Actually, it's the notable lack of a ball that spurred me on. After dealing with cancer I realised I could drop dead at any minute so might as well give it a shot.

Ugh, I've become one of those inspirational cancer survivors. Sorry guys :roll:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:44 pm

WOW. Props on taking the plunge. And props on the follow-through and ACCOMPLISHMENT. Keep fighting the good fight and know there's a bunch of people reading here that have your back.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Faldor, Cancer Slayer.

To be fair, life is too fucking short to be someone else's bitch. Glad to see you're taking charge, mate!

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Ugh, I've become one of those inspirational cancer survivors. Sorry guys :roll:
Every group's gotta' have one. :P seriously though, congrats on the jump. I think you'll do well.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Mike wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:44 pm
Keep fighting the good fight and know there's a bunch of people reading here that have your back.
Thank you that means a lot.
Chad Peter wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm
Glad to see you're taking charge, mate!
It's from sitting around saying "Cor, I wish I could be like that Chad Peter!"
Lance wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:37 pm
Every group's gotta' have one. :P seriously though, congrats on the jump. I think you'll do well.
Thanks, Well here's hoping!

Seeing all of you guys do your thing has shown it's worth a go if nothing else. What would be lovely, but probably nieve is that I can justify buying new kit and then since I have it find more time to make my own films again.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:59 am

Speaking of making your own films again, what exactly would you need to complete a kit? Anything in general or just some stuff?

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:08 am

The main thing would be a new camera like a GH4 or Black Magic Pocket with more Lattitude and resolution. (I'd love to upgrade my GoPro cos they are great little B-cams) In the long run a good set of radio lapels.

I'm still rocking my 550d (Rebel something-something) from six or seven years ago (Bloody fantastic camera but some more latitude or 4k would be nice)

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 am

Well NP2k diary, Last night was my penultimate shift at the cinema, I was hoping for a quiet Sunday night close but no such luck, a drunk guy decided to lie down in the aisle and sleep, course all anyone told me was someone had fallen down so I had to call an ambulance when he didn't respond to my shouting at him "ARE YOU DEAD, I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF DINNER YOU INSENSITIVE BASTARD."

When the paramedic tried to rouse him he got quite punchy so we had to wait for the police to turn up to frog march him out. He later tried three more times to get back in.

My current goal is to build up the portfolio and client list so my site is not empty. I thought it would be a good idea to instead of offering to make a free video for someone to instead, to have already made one. I went on a hot air balloon flight last year and took some video on my GoPro. I went back through the footage and recut it (taking out all the shots of me and my mum) and sent it to the company to see if they wanted to use it on their site or on social media.

They passed on it. Which is frustrating but that doesn't mean I can't offer it to other Balloon companies.

I'm also putting together a video for my wife's business which will be an instructional video to send to performers explaining how to measure themselves. I've got a grey photography backdrop that I've not had a chance to use and some new softbox lights. I'm currently trying to find somewhere I can hire with space to set it all up.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 am

Maybe put those videos up on gettyimages and sell stock footage?

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 am
Maybe put those videos up on gettyimages and sell stock footage?
That's a good call, I've put it on the ever-growing list of things to do.

So Wednesday was my last shift at the cinema. Done and done. After feeling a bit down due to certain relationships having soured and no word of a leaving do, nor a card I was pleasantly surprised to be present with a bottle of whisky, and not a bad one either.

Today was quite productive. I've been doing more work on the site after wrestling with some domain issues, I'm breaking it up into sections for animation, video and web design. This it turns out is very time-consuming but I'm confident I'll actually have quite a professional looking site at the end of it.

As I mentioned a few posts up, My wife has asked for a video to explain to actors how to measure themselves for costumes, to save the time she wastes when actors send her the wrong details. (It won't help when they are just embarrassed and lie mind.) I've been emailing potential filming locations (we don't all have a Lance to do this!) I heard back from a church hall nearby and checked that out. They wanted about £50 for a half day which is pricey but cheaper than the theatres I'd approached (one wanted £450, and they weren't even the big one.)

Just as I got home I got an email back from the new Bristol Improv Theatre which has just opened saying I could swing by this afternoon so I put my coat back on and headed out.

They've got a really nice space in the posh end of town and have a large conference room upstairs with good ambient lighting and are only asking £10 an hour for it. There were only a handful of plug sockets which is a slight concern but I don't think it should be an issue with 2 - 4 soft box photography lights.

I'm looking to shoot in the week after next when my wife has some free days. The next job is to find some people to stand around on camera, measuring themselves. In their underwear.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 am

In mid feb I sent emails out to all the other corporate video companies in the area to say what I do and would they put me on a freelancers list, I got a couple of replies but nothing solid, however yesterday I got an email from one asking for a quote. I replied with a slightly low-ball number which they seemed happy with and asked if I had any examples of similar work.

I sent over the video I'd done for a national newspaper, partly because it was the closest thing I had and partly cos of the name. I also sent a spec explainer video I'd made as it featured a similar animation to one of the elements. I was a bit unsure about including it as they are wanting stock footage with After Effects shape layers animated overlays and it wasn't really the same thing but it's what I had.

I needn't have worried as I've now got a reply asking how much I charge for explainer videos!

Of course, It's nothing solid but It feels good to have even a potential lead.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:16 am

Sorry to hear about the troubled relationships, whichever they may be. Hopefully that's getting better.

£50 for a location sounds cheap to me! But then when it's common to be quoted $8000 for a location in los angeles (10 hours of shooting), £50 seems like chump change. Would love to see another Faldor short in the near future.

Soooo, you gonna post the video you're gonna do for your wife?

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:38 pm

£50 isn't too bad but I've usually managed to blag locations for free or for a favour. In the end, I managed to get a meeting room in the Improv Theatre for £40. The next challenge is to find some people to be in the video, I've actually got a bit of money which will make that a bit easier than the usual struggle to find people to appear for free.

We've pushed filming back til the end of the month since Mrs Faldor is currently costuming two theatre shows in Dubai. On Sunday I'll be going with her to a place called Torquay to help deliver the costumes for fitting and get her some photos.

Torquay used to be famous as the setting of classic sitcom 'Fawlty Towers', it is now famous for people telling you it was the setting of Fawlty Towers.
Chad Peter wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:16 am
Would love to see another Faldor short in the near future.
I bloody love to make one. I am very aware that I need to make some freelance gigs happen before my savings run out however, I do have a new lapel mic, GoPro Jib and DJI Osmo that I've yet to field test and a short would definitely allow me to do that. 8-)
Chad Peter wrote:
Soooo, you gonna post the video you're gonna do for your wife?
Sure, once it's shot and cut I'll post it up here.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 am

Faldor wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:38 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Would love to see another Faldor short in the near future.
I bloody love to make one. I am very aware that I need to make some freelance gigs happen before my savings run out however, I do have a new lapel mic, GoPro Jib and DJI Osmo that I've yet to field test and a short would definitely allow me to do that. 8-)
Hmmm, maybe we should try yet another 2k film fest. Speaking of which, did MATT LANK HINGSTMAN ever post his final short film "The Breakwater" for the forums? Considering it was the only film to make it out of the last film fest alive. (Followed, of course, by Lance and his film - which I'm excited to see).

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 am

Hmmm, maybe we should try yet another 2k film fest. Speaking of which, did MATT LANK HINGSTMAN ever post his final short film "The Breakwater" for the forums? Considering it was the only film to make it out of the last film fest alive. (Followed, of course, by Lance and his film - which I'm excited to see).
Soon-ish. It will happen.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 am

The photography in Torbay went ok yesterday, and we got to visit a creepy pier after! Annoyingly there was hardly any light in the rehearsal room and I was using the canon kit lens constantly wrestling focus and f-stops. Nice to shoot people who knew how to pose mind.
Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 am
Hmmm, maybe we should try yet another 2k film fest.
I'd probably be down for it. I'd be more interested in going old school without the team shenanigans. (No offence Lance, you were ace!)

Yeah, the TEAMS, while fun, seem to almost always fizzle off around the middle/end of the script phase. Not entirely sure how that'll change if people are involved in writing their own projects, but who knows. Guess we'll have to actually involve a prize of some sort to make it worthwhile.