The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Post Reply
User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Chad and Byron Smith tackle Chad's favorite movie from 2014, the wonderful (but oddly divisive) "It Follows".  This movie loves suspense, adores suspense and craves suspense - teasing the audience from start to finish.  Stylistically, it set the bar for last year's "Stranger Things", but it did so in a way that was probably more terrifying and less nostalgic.  Not loved by everyone, but certainly worth a look.

https://thehellwiththiscom.files.wordpr ... ollows.mp3

“It Follows" (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/combined

Performers of note: Maika Monroe, Keir Gilchrist, Lili Sepe, Olivia Luccardi

User avatar
Heiliger
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:47 pm
Contact:

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Heiliger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:56 pm

I really love It Follows. Super suspenseful without being humorless, throwback to the 80s style without being cheesy. Really nailed what it was trying to do perfectly. I also love the weird little shell phone that one girl has. It's just enough to tell you this isn't taking place in our world. It's in a universe next door to ours where the urban legends are all different along with the smartphones.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:55 am

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 pm

There's brilliant insights as to filmmaking in this podcast: the role of the horror genre given to newcomers: editing: pacing...and stuff.
Heiliger wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:56 pm
I also love the weird little shell phone that one girl has. It's just enough to tell you this isn't taking place in our world. It's in a universe next door to ours where the urban legends are all different along with the smartphones.
Pinpoint observation. Well struck.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Mike wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 pm
There's brilliant insights as to filmmaking in this podcast: the role of the horror genre given to newcomers: editing: pacing...and stuff.
Heiliger wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:56 pm
I also love the weird little shell phone that one girl has. It's just enough to tell you this isn't taking place in our world. It's in a universe next door to ours where the urban legends are all different along with the smartphones.
Pinpoint observation. Well struck.
Glad to hear SOMETHING came out of this mess of an episode. I had to edit over an HOUR of material out of it, as we went waaaaaaay off subject, time and time again. Hopefully it's coherent.

User avatar
Adam Bertocci
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:18 am

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Adam Bertocci » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:40 pm

My favorite film of its year, and I'm not much of a horror guy.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:55 am

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:07 pm
Glad to hear SOMETHING came out of this mess of an episode. I had to edit over an HOUR of material out of it, as we went waaaaaaay off subject, time and time again. Hopefully it's coherent.
I don't know how you do it. A Mutual Acquaintance wants to start a podcast with me...I'm going to pass this snippet on to him with the reminder that it has to be done with the spare time that we all have. Anyway, thanks for the effort. And the sleep deprivation. Good job on 29 episodes, podcasts usually don't last more than six eps or so.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Lance » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't know why I haven't seen it before, I know I've looked at it many times, but I'm looking forward to watching it now.

On my Netflix streaming queue and waiting to watch it before I listen to the podcast.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:27 pm
I don't know why I haven't seen it before, I know I've looked at it many times, but I'm looking forward to watching it now.

On my Netflix streaming queue and waiting to watch it before I listen to the podcast.
Excellent. It takes a moment to get into the tone of the film, but once it gets going - it's a fun one.
Mike wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:07 pm
Glad to hear SOMETHING came out of this mess of an episode. I had to edit over an HOUR of material out of it, as we went waaaaaaay off subject, time and time again. Hopefully it's coherent.
I don't know how you do it. A Mutual Acquaintance wants to start a podcast with me...I'm going to pass this snippet on to him with the reminder that it has to be done with the spare time that we all have. Anyway, thanks for the effort. And the sleep deprivation. Good job on 29 episodes, podcasts usually don't last more than six eps or so.
Yeah, I *could* have had that episode up on Tuesday, as is our usual release day. We recorded on Monday night, and I tried to edit it during work on Tuesday, but it required too much of my attention to finish. Fortunately, when it's just Mark and myself, it's much much easier to edit at work, because I rarely have to edit anything out. Usually there's a snip of silence off the beginning, and a snip of silence off the end, and that's it!

Mark and I are already a day late on releasing this week's podcast, but we're recording tonight and I hope to have the episode up by tomorrow. Once I no longer have to work six days a week, I'll have time to get caught up. We've gotta at least get through 52 weeks of this before completely imploding!

User avatar
Nic
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Nic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 pm

The lead girl is cute. I think she popped up in Independence Day 2, right? Other than that...

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Nic wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 pm
I think she popped up in Independence Day 2, right? Other than that...
She did, indeed! This will sound like complete bullshit, but I had dinner with her around the time ID4 v2 came out. The plan was to make another "Waiting on Roxie" style fashion short, but with Maika as the model this time around. Didn't happen for a number of reasons, but we had shoot days scheduled before it all fell apart. But... who knows what the future holds!

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #29 - It Follows

Post by Lance » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:16 pm

It didn't take to long to get into it. The pacing was a little slow intentionally, I think. It helped maintain the tension for the duration of the film instead of building it up to a point, drop off, then try to jump it back up again. It worked to buck the standard formula. I think this achieved the kind of mood M. Knight Shyamalan has been trying, and failing (IMHO) to achieve in the majority of his movies. The acting was just right, the only effect that was distracting was when the hole was blown into the door of the boathouse, and the ending was perfect. I don't know why it took me so long to watch this.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests