The Hell With This Podcast #30 - La la land

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #30 - La la land

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:12 am

Pretty sure you've heard of this one before.  "The famous Oscar loser", as Mark puts it, gently.  But Mark's never seen it, and Chad has (too many times), so here we are.  Why tackle a movie that's hot off the press?  Well, maybe it's a half-hearted attempt to have a conversation about hype and how too much of it can be a turn-off - can a great movie surpass the expectations of hype, or is it always doomed to fail?   

https://thehellwiththiscom.files.wordpr ... laland.mp3

“La La Land" (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3783958/combined

Performers of note: Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, Rosemarie DeWitt, J.K. Simmons.
lalaland.jpg
lalaland.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Heiliger

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #30 - La la land

Post by Heiliger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 pm

I read the IMDB trivia after we were done recording and learned all about the numerous references to other musicals. That kind of cleverness doesn't mean much to me because I haven't SEEN all those old musicals. So when a particular number is taking cues from The Umbrellas of Blahblahblah, that's wasted on me. If the whole final musical sequence is doing exactly what An American in Paris did, I don't care. So clearly this movie was made BY and FOR fans of classic musicals, not for me. And I still liked it.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Heiliger wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 pm
I read the IMDB trivia after we were done recording and learned all about the numerous references to other musicals. That kind of cleverness doesn't mean much to me because I haven't SEEN all those old musicals. So when a particular number is taking cues from The Umbrellas of Blahblahblah, that's wasted on me. If the whole final musical sequence is doing exactly what An American in Paris did, I don't care. So clearly this movie was made BY and FOR fans of classic musicals, not for me. And I still liked it.
Meh, I didn't know any of that either until you said so just now. That's kinda the beauty of a good film that's borrowing from other films - it's not outright requiring that you know any of the references.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:34 pm

I'm not a big musical guy though I have seen quite a few of the classics in my time. I did not make a direct correlation to the old films, I just thought it was a great homage to the classic musicals of the past. I guess that would explain it. I loved everything about the movie. My youngest was pretty upset at the ending. I mean she was mad, which made it even more potent for me having to explain how, as in life, it wasn't necessarily a sad ending.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:34 pm
My youngest was pretty upset at the ending. I mean she was mad, which made it even more potent for me having to explain how, as in life, it wasn't necessarily a sad ending.
This is amazing. This generally upbeat movie destroyed your child's world view.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:05 pm
This is amazing. This generally upbeat movie destroyed your child's world view.

(SPOILER!!)

Yeah, she just had a little trouble processing that their happy endings didn't include each other.

Lank

Post by Lank » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 am

Your kid just grew up a little.
"We're here to fuck shit up."