Untitled Australian Roadtrip Movie

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: Untitled Australian Roadtrip Movie

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 am

Black Flower mostly just keeps getting it's ass kicked by my day job (I generally let it). This was the time to really focus on BF, but instead I took the Mr. Robot job and now that's leading to something... else. Can't say yet until I'm officially SIGNED to a deal (or at least until I read the NDA). Got a promotion and skipped a few floors on the way.

Honestly, if I felt the BF script was ready to shoot, I'd have started by now, but it's missing something. I'll post something when I figure out what, exactly.

As far as the Aussie feature, well, still editing it, and hoping to have a rough cut together by the time I start the next job (Valentine's Day). HAH

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:14 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:50 pm
Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:08 am

Speaking of...uh, so Chad...LAX footage for Untitled Australian Road Trip film is in the can? Or on the card, or however you put it?
Definitely not yet. Job yes. Personal projects no. You offering to shoot it? :P :P :P

Out of curiosity, is the prelude scripted? About how many minutes do you expect it run?
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am

Mike wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:14 am
Chad Peter wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:50 pm
Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:08 am

Speaking of...uh, so Chad...LAX footage for Untitled Australian Road Trip film is in the can? Or on the card, or however you put it?
Definitely not yet. Job yes. Personal projects no. You offering to shoot it? :P :P :P

Out of curiosity, is the prelude scripted? About how many minutes do you expect it run?
In total or just the prelude? The prelude will be scripted, as will the various phone call scenes that happen throughout the movie (well, the American side of it will be scripted - the Australian side was already shot, but that was scripted, too). Most of the movie was scripted, now that I think of it - it was just written about five minutes before shooting and would change on the fly. Only a few scenes in the film were left unscripted, and usually only because we didn't have time to put something together.

If I had to guess how long the final movie will be, I'm hoping for 100 minutes. I've cut together about 45 minutes worth and barely scraped the surface, which is a good thing, since there's some dead air to cut out. In any case, it's not gonna be a happy-go-lucky adventure comedy with snappy editing.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Just curious about the length of the prelude / Los Angeles scenes. I do recall you saying stuff about the rest of the film being scripted on the fly (as an aside: has that ever been done for a feature-length before?) as well as pretty significant sleep deprivation. With respect to the latter...at least all it would take is one stiff drink and you'd be dead to the world for the interminable flight back. And thrombosis.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 pm

German director Wim Wenders has tackled entire trilogies of generally unscripted or scripted-on-the-go films, the most famous of which is "Paris, Texas", which he and Sam Shepard wrote on back-and-forth notepads throughout principal photography. "Wings of Desire" was made similarly - a bunch of notes that became a shooting script, sometimes the moment of. There's a trilogy of "road films" that Wenders did in the 70's/80's that I still need to see. From my understanding, it was likely a similar approach to my Australian film.

If I had to guess how much there is left to film, I'd say... 5 to 10 minutes worth of content. I've been delaying because I wanted to have a good edit together of the rest of the film before going back to see what I needed to add. I should probably do that before my actor is struck by lightning.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:03 pm
I do recall you saying stuff about the rest of the film being scripted on the fly (as an aside: has that ever been done for a feature-length before?)
Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 pm
A bunch of examples
Whoa. Leave it to the Germans for self-flagellation, so to speak.
Chad Peter wrote:
I've been delaying because I wanted to have a good edit together of the rest of the film before going back to see what I needed to add.
And delaying the edit because you have a job and a fiancée...
Chad Peter wrote:
I should probably do that before my actor is struck by lightning.
Having a good edit on hand is sound reasoning...but yeah. Lightning. Or shark attack. Or...but yeah. Edit. With your Copious Spare Time (™).

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Was listening to Marc Maron's WTF podcast today - guest Gus Van Sant spoke a bit about shooting some unscripted films. Good chat, check it out!

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-933-gus-van-sant