The Hell With This Podcast #38 - The Trust

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #38 - The Trust

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:06 pm

"The Trust" (2016)

Today we dip our feet in the world of "modern" independent film.  Mark brings us to a film that recently caught his attention: "The Trust" - made in 2016, starring Elijah Wood and Nicolas Cage (with a hint of Jerry Lewis in a thankless role).

https://thehellwiththiscom.files.wordpr ... etrust.mp3

“The Trust" (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3733774/combined

Performers of note: Nicolas Cage, Elijah Wood, Ethan Suplee, Jerry Lewis, Sky Ferreira.
thetrust.jpg
thetrust.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 65 times

Heiliger

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #38 - The Trust

Post by Heiliger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 pm

I think I should elaborate on why I chose this movie because I wasn't at my most eloquent during the record.

This is our 2nd movie with Nicolas Cage, the first being Rumble Fish, so I wanted to do something more recent of his that people have probably overlooked. And what better film than one that got a lot of negative attention on Reddit last year for its bad poster? https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... rong_with/ If nothing else, this movie is way better than its shitty poster.

This may not have a Cage performance for the ages like your Vampire's Kiss or Face/Off, but it's one he's having fun with which makes it fun for me. Take the screenshot above: He's wearing sunblock on his nose in this scene that lasts maybe 2 minutes. He actually puts it on in the scene and then walks out a minute later. That's just a waste of sunblock. You think that was scripted? Fuck no, that was Cage trying to add his essence to a scene that is otherwise a pretty straightforward expository scene. I can't explain how he works, I just know that he does.

Despite the bits of comedy he peppered throughout the movie, Cage also gives us a character we can believe will A) forget to pick up the van they're using for the heist, upon which the entire plan hinges and B) calmly shoot a guy in the face so he won't have to pay for some guns. He is simultaneously the moron coworker and the psycho killer. This puts me on edge for the rest of the movie because he could easily switch from making bad jokes in the middle of their heist to murdering his partner in crime. He doesn't even have a strong moral reason for going through with this plan, he simply thinks he's smarter than his job. It can be hard to root for characters like this, but I find them very interesting.

Another thing I really like about this is the street level view of the heist being put together by guys who have no special talents, questionable interpersonal skills, and almost no money to their name. It's the direct opposite of Ocean's Eleven. Cage's character craves the adventure more than whatever's in the vault. He makes decisions based on how COOL they sound. He is Tom Sawyer to Elijah's Huck Finn, the guy who should know better.