ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:04 pm

With the release of the new iMac Pros last month, i was thinking I'd finally have a new machine at the homestead, especially as I branch out away from the job I previously held (and out into the wild unknown). So, naturally, there'd be a major security flaw revealed in all Intel processors that effectively will slow their machines down considerably with the use of a patch (but hey, no compromised security!) At this point an AMD processor seems like the way to go, even if they're not as powerful as the new Intel i9 processors, but Apple doesn't use those, and a PC build is just fine. We've used PCs at the office for VFX since House of Cards began, and even though we're still using the same machines (on Mindhunter and beyond), those machines still can handle new footage well enough (6k EXR sequences, though, are pushing the boundaries of what these $20k computers can handle). I'll end up building my own machine, I think, for the first time ever. Those "old" $20k computers will be the equivalent of a $5k machine nowadays, so at least they're vaguely around "affordable" on a personal budget, for once.

Has anyone here built their own PC? Recently?

I've got a list I put together and am looking to start collecting the parts in the near future. I'll be sure to post updates as I build.

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm

I have built and repaired more PCs than I care to remember, for many different tasks. None in the last year but I did just upgrade my youngest kid's to a liquid cooled CPU system. I have never installed the hardware for reading the RED memory cards but, in my experience, it's all pretty straight foreword once you get the chassis wired to your mainboard. Now days you can build a massive workstation that's stable and redundantly backed up on budget that won't break you.

Just FYI, it's not just Intel that is affected by the security breach, it's all devices that use any chipset built since 1995. Any computer, smartphone, smart TV, Intel, AMD, ect... It's a massive cluster fuck. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/cpu- ... l-pcs-macs

User avatar
Heiliger
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:47 pm
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Heiliger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am

I'll make you the same deal I have with others in the past. I will help you build the computer if you need help, but you have to put the CPU and heatsink in place yourself. It's just too fucking stressful and if it goes wrong, it won't be my fault.

Start with these sites:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 pm

So... basically... you're offering to put in my ram? lolololololololol

Also, gross.

Also... after getting off the phone with one mister Michael "I beat up a MOTHERFUCKING BEAR" Durand, I went and made this horribl(y amazing) decision to start the process:
threadripper.JPG
threadripper.JPG (100.73 KiB) Viewed 359 times

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 am

Make sure you get a power supply with enough juice to run the features that your motherboard and graphics card(s) boast. Liquid cooling is essential for AMD and video editing so good choice there. Are you going with solid state drives, standard HDD, or a combination? I would recommend a combination depending on your budget, ssd for system and programs, and a 10TB NAS hdd or two for storing those huge RED files if you can swing it. Don't forget to check the latency on the ram you pick up. The lower the "cl" or "CAS Latency" number, the faster response times, the more efficient the memory.

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 am

As far as graphics, if you're using adobe products for editing/ compositing, make sure your card supports cuda.

User avatar
Faldor
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Faldor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 am

I know just enough about the insides of a PC to be dangerous. I've upgraded graphics cards and drives without issue but I wouldn't feel comfortable building one from scratch, the biggest problem I had with my last machine was the fact that the case was so small you couldn't move one thing without unplugging something else.

What I ended up doing was getting sometimes poster Owen Ward to come down and build one for me, which I made sure had a big case.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 am

Given the current state of cryptocurrency mining, the GPU's I need also are in the middle of a mass shortage, going for twice the retail price. Figures. (Looking for one (or TWO) GeForce GTX 1080 ti video cards, for this machine).

And Martin, yeah... too small a case was a concern. I almost went with a mid-range one, but was worried I'd end up with components that were too large. Instead I said "fuck it" and went large.

Case I've ordered:

http://www.anidees.com/ai-crystal-cube/ ... l-cube-rgb

The irony about how large it is: there's no space for a physical media cd/dvd/blu reader/writer. Not that I've used one in years.

User avatar
Faldor
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Faldor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:28 am

I actually use my Blu-Ray reader all the time. I picked it up a couple of years back as a "Huh, that might be neat" idea but after a month or two the laser in my BR player died and I now use it as my main setup.

My pc is hooked up to a second, 42" monitor that I picked up for less than £100 from a colour grading house that was shutting up shop.

Although I will say due to some backwards thinking licensing issues, it can be frustratingly complicated to play Blu-Rays with multiple monitors.
Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 am
Case I've ordered:

http://www.anidees.com/ai-crystal-cube/ ... l-cube-rgb
How come you're so insecure?!

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 am
Given the current state of cryptocurrency mining, the GPU's I need also are in the middle of a mass shortage, going for twice the retail price. Figures. (Looking for one (or TWO) GeForce GTX 1080 ti video cards, for this machine).

And Martin, yeah... too small a case was a concern. I almost went with a mid-range one, but was worried I'd end up with components that were too large. Instead I said "fuck it" and went large.

Case I've ordered:

http://www.anidees.com/ai-crystal-cube/ ... l-cube-rgb

The irony about how large it is: there's no space for a physical media cd/dvd/blu reader/writer. Not that I've used one in years.
There are three available EVGA, GIGABYTE, or ZOTAC GTX 1080ti cards at the moment here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... isNodeId=1 but it'll cost ya'.

I presume you're looking for the AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1950X 16-Core / 32 Threads 3.4 GHz Socket sTR4 180W by the looks of your motherboard. You could sacrifice 8 cores and half the $900 price tag but, processing power!! Am I right?

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Lance wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 am
I presume you're looking for the AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1950X 16-Core / 32 Threads 3.4 GHz Socket sTR4 180W by the looks of your motherboard. You could sacrifice 8 cores and half the $900 price tag but, processing power!! Am I right?
Correct. Pretty much every machine I've had the pleasure of using at work has had dual processors, so if I'm going single processor, I'd better damn sure get one that *should* do the trick. Even the dual processors at the office struggle mightily with the files we work on, so I'm holding out hope that this won't be a giant waste of money. We'll see.

User avatar
Faldor
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Faldor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:34 am

What's your budget?

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Correct. Pretty much every machine I've had the pleasure of using at work has had dual processors, so if I'm going single processor, I'd better damn sure get one that *should* do the trick. Even the dual processors at the office struggle mightily with the files we work on, so I'm holding out hope that this won't be a giant waste of money. We'll see.
Yeah but, how old are those dual processors? Technology jumps by leaps and bounds every year. I'm confident the machine you're building will handle your needs as long as you back up the processing power with a buttload of low latency RAM. I'm not sure there's a machine that can be built on a personal budget that won't get the proverbial butt-pucker when it comes to 6k & 8k files but this thing should hold its own. Remember to keep your receipts, it's all tax deductible if you itemize.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 am
Chad Peter wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Correct. Pretty much every machine I've had the pleasure of using at work has had dual processors, so if I'm going single processor, I'd better damn sure get one that *should* do the trick. Even the dual processors at the office struggle mightily with the files we work on, so I'm holding out hope that this won't be a giant waste of money. We'll see.
Yeah but, how old are those dual processors? Technology jumps by leaps and bounds every year. I'm confident the machine you're building will handle your needs as long as you back up the processing power with a buttload of low latency RAM. I'm not sure there's a machine that can be built on a personal budget that won't get the proverbial butt-pucker when it comes to 6k & 8k files but this thing should hold its own. Remember to keep your receipts, it's all tax deductible if you itemize.
It's possible that - if this works - I'll end up building two additional machines as well, as I'm in charge of hiring two compositors in-house on the new show I'm on. For the amount I'll spend on this one computer, it's the same amount "we" spent to rent one for that Robot show I was on.

Martin - don't really have a budget for this thing. Don't even have the money for it right now (or the credit), but I do have a magical thing called a charge card, which will front the costs until my paycheck catches up to the size of my eyes. For what I've been eyeing, this machine will probably cost about $6k, give or take $1k.

This is absolutely my first time building a machine (or even eyeing pre-built machines), where there exists the possibility for a hard drive as fast as those NVMe SDD's (the Samsung 960 PRO, in particular). The motherboard I've got can fit three and give me speeds that all other hard drives can't comprehend. Though it seems their lifespan is generally short and prone to overheating. The Samsung's are only rated to last 100 TB worth of transfers, which I feel like we blow through in a season and a half worth of TV. Has anyone here ever had one of those fail? Frankly, if these drives can handle it, this could solve a lot of the bottlenecking issues we have. The Fusion drives we've had in the past were OK, but not great, and there's been far too many RAID0 crashes for me to wanna go back down that dark alley.

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

... The Fusion drives we've had in the past were OK, but not great, and there's been far too many RAID0 crashes for me to wanna go back down that dark alley.
Dude, RAID0 with critical data is like teasing an alligator with your genitals.

SSD are super fast but do tend to have a short lifespan, though I can't speak from experience. That's why I recommended a combination with the 7200 rpm NAS HDD (or two in RAID1) for storing large data files that you don't want to disappear when an SSD craps itself, though I don't know just how much it would affect rendering speeds. I would think if the programs are on the SSD then loading the video files from the HDD shouldn't bog it down much. I could be wrong.

If you're just going to be processing/compiling/rendering video you might consider Quadro for your graphics. The 1080ti will run circles around it in speed, gaming, and price point but the stability, compatibility, reduced power consumption, reduced heat, and durability of the upper Quadro cards are something to think about for longevity. It's also something you could switch to at a later date if you find it suits your application.

There's always the Titan V, but that's more of a "money is no object" kind of card.

User avatar
Faldor
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Faldor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am
I'm in charge of hiring two compositors in-house on the new show I'm on.
Hiring compositors you say...? ;)

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Faldor wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am
I'm in charge of hiring two compositors in-house on the new show I'm on.
Hiring compositors you say...? ;)
Now all you'd have to do is move to Los Angeles. Permanently. ;)

Lance wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

... The Fusion drives we've had in the past were OK, but not great, and there's been far too many RAID0 crashes for me to wanna go back down that dark alley.
Dude, RAID0 with critical data is like teasing an alligator with your genitals.

SSD are super fast but do tend to have a short lifespan, though I can't speak from experience. That's why I recommended a combination with the 7200 rpm NAS HDD (or two in RAID1) for storing large data files that you don't want to disappear when an SSD craps itself, though I don't know just how much it would affect rendering speeds. I would think if the programs are on the SSD then loading the video files from the HDD shouldn't bog it down much. I could be wrong.

If you're just going to be processing/compiling/rendering video you might consider Quadro for your graphics. The 1080ti will run circles around it in speed, gaming, and price point but the stability, compatibility, reduced power consumption, reduced heat, and durability of the upper Quadro cards are something to think about for longevity. It's also something you could switch to at a later date if you find it suits your application.

There's always the Titan V, but that's more of a "money is no object" kind of card.
Yeah, the Quadro cards were what we had at Fincher's all these years - various version of them. For the most part, those cards would probably have their asses handed to them by even the 1080 ti's now (the Quadro cards we had are easily five years old now). For better or worse, I ended up buying the Titan Xp off the NVIDIA site, because they're actually in stock and (barely) better than the 1080 ti cards, which are nearly selling for the exact same amount these days. Since I'm building this machine as a proof of concept before building two more of the same type, I decided to stick with something I know I can get more of, even if it's $1200 a card (or less, if I want the stupid Star Wars versions).

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Yeah, the Quadro cards were what we had at Fincher's all these years - various version of them. For the most part, those cards would probably have their asses handed to them by even the 1080 ti's now (the Quadro cards we had are easily five years old now).


Agreed, at the price. The QUADRO GP100 pushes $8000 to get to that HBM2 memory, at which point the Titan V would be the way to go. I only mentioned it because the Quadro is built to last through industrial strength processing where as the 1080ti is a consumer card with a more limited lifespan.
Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 pm
For better or worse, I ended up buying the Titan Xp off the NVIDIA site, because they're actually in stock and (barely) better than the 1080 ti cards, which are nearly selling for the exact same amount these days. Since I'm building this machine as a proof of concept before building two more of the same type, I decided to stick with something I know I can get more of, even if it's $1200 a card (or less, if I want the stupid Star Wars versions).
The Titan XP is an awesome card and a better choice at that price, in my opinion.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Completed the base of my build. Should be able to construct it all on Tuesday or Wednesday. Still some more to purchase in the near future, but for now I'm spent.

Got a G.Skill set of 128 GB DDR4-3000 CL14 ram and a 512 GB NVMe m.2 drive as the boot drive. Will eventually purchase two more NVMe drives and make a RAID0 out of it, because I'm a crazy person. Possibly also a second Titan Xp, to help out. Beyond that... we'll see how this puppy runs. We typically had 256 GB of ram in the machines at work, but there was a fair amount of bottlenecking with the hard drives.

I'll be sure to post some pix as I put it together.

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 pm


Will eventually purchase two more NVMe drives and make a RAID0 out of it, because I'm a crazy person.
Fuck yeah, bigger balls than I would ever have!! Guinea pig that shit, I hope it works out.

Your rig is going to be better than anything I've ever even been in a room with. I don't want to sound weird or anything, but I might just want to make sweet love to it...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest