ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Faldor

Re: ITT Chad Probably Builds A PC

Post by Faldor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:13 pm

I don't think the CPU is the only thing that is going to need liquid cooling... !

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Will eventually purchase two more NVMe drives and make a RAID0 out of it, because I'm a crazy person.
Fuck yeah, bigger balls than I would ever have!! Guinea pig that shit, I hope it works out.

Your rig is going to be better than anything I've ever even been in a room with. I don't want to sound weird or anything, but I might just want to make sweet love to it...
Haha coming from you, I'll take that as a serious complement. Probably a good idea to build it first - there's always room to plug the wrong cable into the wrong port and melt the entire thing.
Faldor wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:13 pm
I don't think the CPU is the only thing that is going to need liquid cooling... !
Haha yeah, this thing will need to live in the snow, for sure. RIP my power bill.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 pm
Haha yeah, this thing will need to live in the snow, for sure. RIP my power bill.
I meant Lance ;)

I am a tad worried that this is the first thing you are going to build. You should probably get one a really basic machine just to practice on first?

I can see it now, you trying to work it all out whilst watching guides on youtube. "So the heatsink goes on the CPU like this?" *Crunch*

Although saying that, A few years back, probably around the time, I made that Victorian time travel film for the NP2k film festival. My computer just kept turning itself off. Turned out the heatsink had stopped working and I popped down to Maplin and bought a replacement and some thermal paste and just swapped it out. If I'd known exactly what I was doing I probably wouldn't have dared try.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 am
I meant Lance ;)
'Bout to turn the hose on me. :lol:

Computers are not as sensitive as people seem to think, most of your connections are pretty comprehensive. Be wary of static, get yourself a static band if you're really nervous or live in a high natural static environment: https://www.amazon.com/Zitrades-Static- ... B009Z9SLTE , and remember that if it doesn't fit, don't force it...for the most part. Your CPU installation is different from past CPU installations so you might want to look that up if you haven't already, and the liquid cooling has a mount that might need to be placed when installing the motherboard if your case doesn't allow access to the back side of the MB. Most do these days.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 pm

I've built several PCs in my day, although not recently. I've been rocking the same laptop for many years now.

My only real screwup was bricking a $1000 dollar CPU once though. That was a bummer. I stared at it in disbelief for days before I finally had to admit it. It was a dark time.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Nic wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 pm
I've built several PCs in my day, although not recently. I've been rocking the same laptop for many years now.

My only real screwup was bricking a $1000 dollar CPU once though. That was a bummer. I stared at it in disbelief for days before I finally had to admit it. It was a dark time.
OUCH. That's rough.

From what I've seen about this CPU in particular, it's much more modular and not as fussy about being installed than the CPU's I've seen in the past. Watching my college roommate brick a CPU when he fucked up a soldered connection, well, I won't have to do any of that shit.

The last of the parts for this beast arrive Tuesday. I've got the MoBo, CPU, SSD, CPU cooling unit and Case already. Waiting on the GPU, power supply and RAM to be delivered in the mail. Once all that shit arrives, I'll spend a good afternoon at Fry's, buying a wealth of case fans, etc. Oh, and I've got the static-wristband-thing already. Just trying not to build up any static from all the excitement of wanting to build this thing.

It'll never REALLY be complete, however, until I can afford the 2nd GPU and 2x 2 TB NVMe cards (to configure the RAID0 array). *drool*

Nic

Post by Nic » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Sounds like it might be time to switch over to Davinci Resolve while you're at it. Change is good. :)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 pm

This shit takes forever.

Been building all day / running to store for pieces.

Getting there. Ugh.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:31 am

End of Day 1.

Mostly built. Still a fuck-ton of cables to attach to shit. A lot of instructions to read to make sure everything is plugged in right.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:31 am
End of Day 1.

Mostly built. Still a fuck-ton of cables to attach to shit. A lot of instructions to read to make sure everything is plugged in right.

Then you get to install the OS, update the OS, update Bios and drivers, and start loading apps... Assuming your hardware installation passes the "smoke test" (first power on).

I have built two rigs in one day a couple of times. The hardware took a couple of hours for the pair each time, but the software took the better part of the day to get all loaded and updated. The old windows patch and update marathon. Had a few Ubuntu set ups as well, much faster OS install but finding and mounting everything needed to run the programs I wanted and fumbling around took a bit.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:09 am

Well, passed the "smoke" test...

Heh...

Been running the windows install and bios shit for the better part of an hour and the machine is still running. Not everything is working as expected. Three of my fans aren't moving, so I gotta figure out why (they're all attached to an expansion card, but there's another fan attached to the same card that's working fine, sooooo...). I'll dig into that tomorrow. In the mean time, there's still 6 fans running, as well as the 2 fans attached to my CPU's liquid cooling heatsink. Should be fine, even without those three fans, but I'd rather it run cooler than just cool.

Next update will, hopefully, be from the new PC itself.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:01 am

Annnnnnd now posting from my new PC.

(still updating everything, but so far so great).

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am

I'm so glad this thread hasn't ended in tragedy and financial ruin! :D

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 pm

ME TOO!

Spaceship or Chad's computer?
IMG_1553[3].JPG
IMG_1553[3].JPG (186.7 KiB) Viewed 409 times

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:24 am

What have you been complaining about all thread? There is nothing in there :D

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:46 pm

In the next episode, external cable management.

*looks down at mess of cables coming off of own computer... chooses not to have O.C.D. today.

:P

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 am

My OCD alarm went off when I saw that picture too. CABLES EVERYWHERE GAHHHHH!!!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:31 am

hahah, yes... maybe yall could teach me some cable management. Need to get some velcro ties or something, because I feel like every time I use the zip-ties, I end up needing to remove a cable to move a hard drive or something.

WHY DO YOU HATE ME