The Hell With This Podcast #49 - "Outlander" (2008)

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #49 - "Outlander" (2008)

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Ep. 49 - "Outlander" (2008)

Not to be confused with the extremely popular TV show of the same name, 2008's "Outlander" film came and went with a whimper. Vikings vs. space aliens? Uhh, sure - we'll be your guinea pigs! Mark and Chad take a chance on the film, in the hopes that it is as good as some people hint.

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/ful ... cl_sm#cast

MP3 LINK: http://traffic.libsyn.com/thehellwithth ... LANDER.mp3

Performers of note: Jim Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, John Hurt, Ron Perlman, Cliff Saunders, Howard McCain
0049-outlander.jpg
0049-outlander.jpg (179.26 KiB) Viewed 5010 times

Lance

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #49 - "Outlander" (2008)

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Oooo...I'm gonna' hunt this down before I listen.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm
Oooo...I'm gonna' hunt this down before I listen.
Curious to see if you agree with us.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Well, without seeing it or listening to the podcast, I'm going to say just from the trailer it looks like a terrible movie. I will watch it soon to confirm or dispel my preconceived notion. I'll post my opinions once I've seen it, then I'll listen to the podcast and compare views.

You guys always seem to bring up things that I don't even think about while watching movies most of the time, insider stuff like comparing a directors work with other works by the same/other directors. I don't really retain that kind of information or make those connections until someone points them out, but I can critique the shit out of things (good and bad) from the point of view of the common movie goer that appreciates the craft. :lol:

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Well, without seeing it or listening to the podcast, I'm going to say just from the trailer it looks like a terrible movie.
hahahahahahah

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm
You guys always seem to bring up things that I don't even think about while watching movies most of the time, insider stuff like comparing a directors work with other works by the same/other directors. I don't really retain that kind of information or make those connections until someone points them out, but I can critique the shit out of things (good and bad) from the point of view of the common movie goer that appreciates the craft. :lol:
Ah, cool. At least we're offering up SOMETHING in this bloody podcast. lol!

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Netflix sent it out today, should arrive tomorrow, I'll watch it when I get a chance thereafter.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:07 pm

*possible spoilers*

Okay, I watched it. Where to begin...

I'm trying to find something good to say about this movie before I get all negative but I'm at a loss. There are movies out there that are so bad that it becomes their saving grace. This is not one of those movies. The lighting effect on the alien was about the best part of this movie and that's not saying much.

Right from the beginning the stark, over exposed, high contrast color treatment after the crash made me want to turn away from the screen. Then, there was everything else.

From rubber bands in beards, terrible costumes that stayed remarkably clean no matter how dirty the actors skin got, to a comically cliche' over sized war horn,and a mish-mash of horribly delivered accents, none of which were Norse/Danish/Swedish. It was clear that whoever did the research just plain didn't care about authenticity and only barely skimmed the cliff notes of Norse culture. Then ignored what they read completely and just made shit up. I could go on about how the women in that society, especially Freyja who is depicted (poorly) as a shield maiden that would never have been cooking in a community kitchen or tending to wounded prisoners, were mis-portrayed in a very sexist manner but, in the current climate, i'll just leave it.

Right off the bat our main character, an intergalactic warrior with the physique of a man who would have trouble curling 50 lbs at the gym, loses his super awesome space gun. Probably a good thing because he really thought it made him look cool and i'm not sure I could handle any more cool-guy posing...at least not until he gets a sword that he clearly doesn't know how to use. That's okay though, neither does anyone else. Then we go straight into the stranger vs. the equally physically challenged but oh-so-cool rival, fighting for the hand of the love interest that, at first hates then loves the new guy, and the rivals become buddies, trope. But let's not leave out the forced ethical dilemma of the protagonist's past which led to this calamity. Then, we'll wrap it all up with a Lion King ending that segues into our main man either saving the planet from his kings scorched earth policy, or a reverse E.T. where he decides to stay, to which the rescue(?) ship, which is close enough for a direct line of sight with the beacon, loses the signal and decides fuck it, we're out.

I could nit-pick the shit out of this movies poorly edited fight scenes but it just feels like beating a dead horse at this point.

Now I can listen to the podcast.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Hmm, keeps kicking me out at 4:42, I'll try the other link later.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:51 pm

No joy there either...

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Lance wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm
Hmm, keeps kicking me out at 4:42, I'll try the other link later.
Bizarre. Just tried downloading/listening through a few different outlets/links (iTunes, spotify, and the link above), and was able to play through 4:42 no problem. So I have no clue.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:19 pm

I'll try again.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Working just fine now, I wonder if you might have been posting the Dredd episode at the same time.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Well, I totally disagree with the Reign of Fire comparison, I wouldn't rank this movie anywhere near.

And yes, I am that guy that, if you're going to represent a culture that actually existed, wants there to be at least a hint of realism in the representation. Even in a Sci-Fi Fantasy where the fiction and fantasy are emphasized. Make up a tribe. Create a whole new culture and social structure based on whatever. Give it attributes of cultures that existed if you want. Just don't formally make it a representation of something that existed and can be fact checked by some anal retentive asshole( heh, redundant). If they had said it was anything other than "Viking" I might have had a different take on at least that aspect of the film. The rest was still crap though :lol: I mean, the Kings helmet was so ill fitting that he couldn't even see out of it because it kept flopping around on his head. That's like a metaphor for the whole movie, it didn't matter whether or not it fit well and no one tried to fix it.

I'd give it a solid 3 out of 10.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Haha, it's been so long since I saw Reign of Fire, so I'm sure we are totally wrong.

And yes, you're pretty much right on the rest of it - thank you for reminding me that my tastes have flattened over the years. Younger me would have scoffed at the thought of this movie. We really should have torn this movie apart. haha

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm
Haha, it's been so long since I saw Reign of Fire, so I'm sure we are totally wrong.

And yes, you're pretty much right on the rest of it - thank you for reminding me that my tastes have flattened over the years. Younger me would have scoffed at the thought of this movie. We really should have torn this movie apart. haha
Nah, we like what we like. There's plenty of movies I give way more leeway than I should for some reason or another. Mood at viewing has a lot to do with the experience as well.

And Reign of Fire has it's issues too, the pacing draggs a lot among other things. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 just as a comparison.