NP2K Films proposal

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Nic

NP2K Films proposal

Post by Nic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 am

OK, so this probably works better in my head than it would in reality, but I this is the basis for my idea.

Instead of breaking into groups and dividing the tasks among people who will likely not do them anyway, (*guilty*) I'm suggesting this:

Someone writes a script. Everyone is eligible. A first draft, basic plot outline. Or perhaps we have a couple of different outlines that can be voted upon to decide a winner.

The winning script is revised and re-written by whomever wants to take on the task. Refined. Again, perhaps a couple of different iterations will exist at that point, and again a winner can be chosen.

Now we have a script. It needs to be short; no more than say... ten minutes. This is crucial.

Anyone can film it. Anyone who thinks they have the means and the talent can take a crack at filming the story. Once again, mayhap a couple of different people will take on the task. Two different takes on the same script? Sure. Why not?

The fun part: Anyone who has the means and software and computer horsepower can take a crack at editing. The final film will be at the mercy of anyone who thinks they have the balls to edit it into a masterpiece of Internet-worthy splendor. This is where the final runtime comes into play, because even a ten minute film can have hours of stuff. There needs to be a limit on file size and resolution so that this is possible.

The finale: A work of wonder that is truly a NP2K film, created by the community and representative of the whole.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is this even workable?

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: NP2K Films proposal

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 pm

I'm down. Ish.

I think the general limit of 10 pages is probably ideal, but I definitely would love to read any shorts or whatever (if they're good), even if it means it's, like, 14 pages or something.

And maybe the resolution limits, etc, could be at the discretion of the editor(s) that's taking it on? Like, don't shoot it at lower quality just to meet the demands of the editor - maybe just transcode different file sizes at the request of the editor(s)?

Maybe this would inspire everyone outside of Lance to get off our collective butts to make something.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 pm
I'm down. Ish.

I think the general limit of 10 pages is probably ideal, but I definitely would love to read any shorts or whatever (if they're good), even if it means it's, like, 14 pages or something.

And maybe the resolution limits, etc, could be at the discretion of the editor(s) that's taking it on? Like, don't shoot it at lower quality just to meet the demands of the editor - maybe just transcode different file sizes at the request of the editor(s)?

Maybe this would inspire everyone outside of Lance to get off our collective butts to make something.

The file size limit would be specifically aimed at making it easy for anyone to obtain the files. For instance, say I want to take a shot at editing, but how would I access tens of gigabytes of files? Where could that be stored? The other solution would be to store smaller proxy files and use those for editing, then whomever has the originals would have to agree to be faithful to that edit in final.

There are a few points to work out. Still looking for input.

OH, also: I need to mention copyright issues. If we do actually create something wonderful and amazing, and it somehow gets attention, we need to work out copyright issues ahead of time and get all legal and stuff. We gotta hammer out that point too.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:12 am

Editing: Hard drives in the mail, man. It would only get expensive if the Europeans want to get involved. :p Editors could pop a drive in the mail plus a ten-dollar bill to the director. Much cheaper and faster in the long run than figuring out where to put hundreds of gigs of footage.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:54 pm

I would say let's get the scripts settled first, then figure it out on a case by case basis. Lord knows we have the most trouble getting past the script phase.

When should we start such a thing?

I've basically just started a massive job, as I know has Eric, so I'm not terribly certain how much time I'll have, but in the immortal words of Roger Deakins... "whatever".

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:21 am

Adam Bertocci wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:12 am
Editing: Hard drives in the mail, man. It would only get expensive if the Americans want to get involved. :p
Checks out. ;)
Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:54 pm
I've basically just started a massive job, as I know has Eric, so I'm not terribly certain how much time I'll have
Same here but I'd be down for doing some writing, and it's not like anyone really expects us to finish these things anyways...

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Faldor wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:21 am

... and it's not like anyone really expects us to finish these things anyways...
Well not with that kind of attitude they don't!
:lol:

*Backs out of the room slowly.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Faldor wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:21 am
Adam Bertocci wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:12 am
Editing: Hard drives in the mail, man. It would only get expensive if the Americans want to get involved. :p
Checks out. ;)
LOL

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun May 06, 2018 2:48 pm

Hmmm, what would it take to make a film festival worth entering? Prizes? An actual festival in a theater?

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 pm

You know I'm down for whatever.

An actual "Film Festival" in a theater would be pretty cool.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:13 pm

I had another idea along the same lines of total group involvement, but a little larger scale...sort of.

Basically, we develop a central theme that any one who chooses to can write a ten page script around, the idea being a sort of anthology, which then can have the story lines intertwine at some point in each script. Any one who chooses to write a script would post it here, maybe in a locked thread that only those involved can access so no public eyes can see, and every one involved could have input to develop each script. Once we have a number of scripts that work together, we figure out who's going to be able to shoot and edit each ten page script based on resources (time/ability/desire). Multiple people shooting multiple short stories that can then be edited into one film. We can have multiple people editing multiple shorts which will ultimately end up with a single final edit. One single NP2K endeavor.

There's elements that would still need to be worked out in the whole idea but first, does anyone think this could work?