ITT Faldor becomes a Frenchman, Gets job on TV show...

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Faldor

ITT Faldor becomes a Frenchman, Gets job on TV show...

Post by Faldor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 am

So, as regular readers will be aware, around this time last year I quit my job to pursue freelancing in video full time and it has certainly had some rocky moments where jobs that were all set to go ahead don't materialise because a producer decided they didn't want an onset supervisor the night before the shoot or footage was shot without track markers and the screen replacement they wanted won't come together as they'd hoped.

There has also been some incredible moments like being sent to Spain and Italy to film conferences on Quantum Mechanics, doing a promo for the local Steampunk Museum and getting to use my skills to help my wife's costume company grow.

Towards the end of last year, a friend of mine mentioned being made up to VFX supervisor on the TV series he's been a compositor on for a few years now. My response was "So, I guess your jobs up for grabs then?" Not thinking for a moment that the job was in the south of France.
So, one thing lead to another and this morning the lease was signed on an apartment in the centre of Montpellier.

There have been times where I've felt like a bit of a pretender on this forum where most people have worked in the industry at one point or another but as of the 26th, I work on a TV show!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: ITT Faldor becomes a Frenchman, Gets job on TV show...

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am

Faldor wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 am
So, as regular readers will be aware, around this time last year I quit my job to pursue freelancing in video full time and it has certainly had some rocky moments where jobs that were all set to go ahead don't materialise because a producer decided they didn't want an onset supervisor the night before the shoot or footage was shot without track markers and the screen replacement they wanted won't come together as they'd hoped.

There has also been some incredible moments like being sent to Spain and Italy to film conferences on Quantum Mechanics, doing a promo for the local Steampunk Museum and getting to use my skills to help my wife's costume company grow.

Towards the end of last year, a friend of mine mentioned being made up to VFX supervisor on the TV series he's been a compositor on for a few years now. My response was "So, I guess your jobs up for grabs then?" Not thinking for a moment that the job was in the south of France.
So, one thing lead to another and this morning the lease was signed on an apartment in the centre of Montpellier.

There have been times where I've felt like a bit of a pretender on this forum where most people have worked in the industry at one point or another but as of the 26th, I work on a TV show!
Congrats, mate! Sounds like we have the exact same job at the moment. Can you say what show?

And who needs tracking markers anyway, amiright?

Hopefully the following conversation doesn't happen to you on day one, like it did to me:

Key Grip: You guys are a special bunch. I've worked with Dennis Muren a few times and that guy is working on another level.

Me: Oh wow, yeah... that's guy's incredible.

Key Grip: Yeah, you're not him.

Me: Maybe someday. Dennis has a few years on me.

Key Grip: No, not even close. You're not even one-twentieth of Dennis Muren.

Me: :-|

(To be fair, he's right. On the plus side: I've never wanted to be Dennis Muren)

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 am

You would look great with no hair! I guess I'm slightly ahead in the Dennis Muren stakes!

Who would even be the Dennis Muren of keygrips? Idiot.

I'm lucky, the worst I've had is "I'm supervising the VFX" "Are you doing digital intermediate as well" "er... No."

The show is a history documentary series which does air in a couple of places in the US. The style is done with digital matte paintings and actors in silhouette and I'll be creating the background and comping the actors in.

Lank

Post by Lank » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am
Hahaha what the fuck
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Lank wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:33 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am
Hahaha what the fuck
haha, mostly it came off in jest.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat May 12, 2018 2:54 am

So, little update...

The biggest change has just been getting used to working a 9-5 job for the first time in about 15 years. Which isn't helped by a lot of services like Banks not being open here on saturdays.

But the hardest part is being away from my wife who has had a massive job on for the last few months. She flew out for nine days a few weeks back and two weeks today, I go back to Bristol to have a leaving do and help pack the flat up and move out properly.

The new apartment is much more spacious than my last place and I've got a nifty balcony overlooking the street, and some fancy french shutters that can make the rooms *really* dark!

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:40 am

So, Last week I flew back to the UK and had a going away party, really nice to catch up with everyone and have a bit of a send off. Then the rest of the week was spent packing and cleaning the old place. Then we travelled back by train, with my PC in a suitcase.

Now I'm back and totally exhausted but finally my wife is out here and things are starting to feel more like home.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Really glad you're finally getting settled in. So. Deep breath, wine, cheese, and bread. You (and your lovely) have earned it.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 pm
Really glad you're finally getting settled in. So. Deep breath, wine, cheese, and bread. You (and your lovely) have earned it.
Seconded! Dude, you just moved to another country AND succeeded. That puts you in a very, very small percentage of folk.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 am

Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 pm
Thanks man! Our local supermarket has three rows of camembert and just one selection of brie.
Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:27 pm
Seconded! Dude, you just moved to another country AND succeeded. That puts you in a very, very small percentage of folk.
So far, so good. eh?

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 am

Gad it's hot.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Faldor wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 am
Gad it's hot.
I'll bite,

"How hot is it?"

Awaits punchline.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:38 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:58 pm
"How hot is it?"
No punchline, I'm just whinging.

...Fucking hot