Sci-Fi novel recommendations

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Nic

Re: Sci-Fi novel recommendations

Post by Nic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm

I get that, but to me some of the characters are miscast. Holden is too tall. Amos is too young. Prax was all wrong for me, other than his nationality. And Bobbie? I mean, I understand that maybe they couldn't find a 6'6 Samoan woman, but the whole point of Bobbie in the books was that people were awed by her physical size and prowess. The actress in the show does a fair job, but she just doesn't have the physical presence that Bobbie should have.

I would like to see Avasarala swearing a lot more. That's her defining characteristic in the books, but I will admit her casting is spot-on.

Pet peeve: Errinwright. Completely the wrong choice. As much as I like Joey from Big Love as an actor, he doesn't even remotely resemble the description of Errinwright from the books. And he and Avasarala were never once in the same room in any of the books.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:12 am

Nic wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
he doesn't even remotely resemble the description of Errinwright from the books.
Fuckin' Bobblehead.

Cory

Post by Cory » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 am

I'm currently reading Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover. If you read the Star Wars New Jedi Order series, he wrote Traitor (one of the best in the series IMO). I got to hang out and have a few beers with him for a little bit at SW Celebration III a bunch of years back and he was cool, so I bought a couple of his books (Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle) when I got home...and never read them.

So anyway, I don't know if this book falls under Sci-fi or Fantasy because it sorta has both in it. In a distant, semi-dystopian future, actors take on roles in an alternate universe that is still middle ages-ish technology/society-wise, has magic, human subspecies (elves, faeries, etc.), and the rest of the typical fantasy world tropes. The main character is one of the most famous actors in our world, who plays one of the most famous assassins in the alternate universe. For taking place in two separate worlds, the world building is pretty good for both. He does some funny stuff with tense and pov that I wasn't sure I'd like at first, but now I get it and am enjoying it.

Anyone else happen to have read this one? I'm really liking it so far and unless the ending just fails miserably, I'll probably keep going on the series.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon May 01, 2017 5:27 am

Cory wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 am
If you read the Star Wars New Jedi Order series, he wrote Traitor
I enjoyed the NJO at the time but only got up to 'Star By Star'. The Vong never really bothered me but the shift from the movie characters over to the Young Jedi Knights cast didn't work for me. I know Star Wars has always been a bit camp. but this was a series of books following strike teams made up of teenagers.

I gave some of my favourite EU books one last hurrah before The Force Awakens came out and tried to reread 'Vector Prime' and just couldn't get into it.
Cory wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 am
So anyway, I don't know if this book falls under Sci-fi or Fantasy because it sorta has both in it.
I've not read any of his stuff but I know his prequel era books are raved about by people who like prequel-era Star Wars. I've considered reading some of Zahn or Stackpoles original novels but never been sure why to start. What is it with Star Wars tie-in authors mostly having a fantasy background anyways?

Cory

Post by Cory » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 am

Faldor wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 5:27 am
What is it with Star Wars tie-in authors mostly having a fantasy background anyways?
Threel main reasons I can think of:

1. Star Wars has a lot of fantasy elements to it, almost more in common with epic fantasy than most hard sci-fi or space opera.
2. The fantasy market blew up, so a lot of sf/f writers were writing fantasy.
3. The people running the show on shared world series (where multiple authors are writing the same series or world) look for authors who have experience writing for other shared world series. Most of those types of series I can think of are fantasy: forgotten realms, dragonlance, etc.

#3 is actually insight I picked up listening to the writing excuses podcast when their guest was an editor for one of those shared world series.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:39 am

Ready Player One by Thug Notes - better than the book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reVk7l1mAo
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 am

I liked the book!

I also liked his follow up "Armada" which seems to be a much less popular opinion.

Currently, I'm down a well of Star Trek novels. (shut up!) Over the last ten years or so, they are doing a comics thing where everything is split into different ongoing series with the occasional crossover events. Luckily the Trekkies have put together elaborate charts and diagrams explaining what happens in what order.

Next I'll probably jump back to some classic sci-fi.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Just thinning out The Library and a couple of suggestions jumped out at me: Michael Crichton's "The Andromeda Strain" and "Congo." And please, let's not bring up those embarrassments of film production.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Nic

Post by Nic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Mike wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:23 pm
Just thinning out The Library and a couple of suggestions jumped out at me: Michael Crichton's "The Andromeda Strain" and "Congo." And please, let's not bring up those embarrassments of film production.
Both fine choices. Congo is interesting, because the movie is basically nothing much like the book. You will like it.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I just read Kurt Vonnegut's "The Sirens Of Titan". It was batshit insane. I rather liked it.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm

1. Star Wars has a lot of fantasy elements to it, almost more in common with epic fantasy than most hard sci-fi or space opera.
This is why I have such a fondness for the 1976 novelization of ANH. It's a version of the story that _thinks_ the movie is something more like hard sci-fi. It's Star Wars by someone who has never seen Star Wars, as the movie was nowhere near complete and most certainly did not have John Williams' music to set the tone. The movie that that book is describing would be scored with synthesizers and weird droning noises.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:21 am

They've turned the only sci-fi book I've read recently into a movie... and not only does it star NP herself, but it looks kinda great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk

From the director of "Ex Machina" (who, coincidentally, also wrote "Sunshine", for those of you paying attention to the rest of the forum's current discussions). Promising.