Sci-Fi novel recommendations

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Mike

Re: Sci-Fi novel recommendations

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Work is ramping down, so I'm getting a lot more reading in - luxury beyond price! Chad gave me a copy of leGuin's "The Lathe of Heaven," soooo...

Wow. Just wow. I need to revisit this one in the near future in order to fully absorb it.

My first exposure to her work turned me off for some reason (and I don't even remember what that book was), so I never pursued her writing. "The Lathe of Heaven" has changed that.

Many thanks, Chad.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Mike wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 pm
Work is ramping down, so I'm getting a lot more reading in - luxury beyond price! Chad gave me a copy of leGuin's "The Lathe of Heaven," soooo...

Wow. Just wow. I need to revisit this one in the near future in order to fully absorb it.

My first exposure to her work turned me off for some reason (and I don't even remember what that book was), so I never pursued her writing. "The Lathe of Heaven" has changed that.

Many thanks, Chad.
Nice! I'm due to revisit the book, as it has been quite awhile...

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm
Nice! I'm due to revisit the book, as it has been quite awhile...
It's definitely a faster read than "The Peripheral" though I'd consider both books to be complementary in terms of ideas.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 am

John Scalzi’s “The Consuming Fire” came out last night, which was originally due out next spring which makes up somewhat for the next Expanse novel being put back. It follows a young woman ascending to the throne of a galactic empire, only to learn that their form of space travel will stop working in the next few years and how to deal with no one believing this.

The “We Are Legion, We Are Bob” trilogy is a lot of fun. It follows a copy of a guy who had his mind uploaded as an A.I. and then put into a space probe.

"2001: A Space Odyssey" is an interesting counterpart to the movie, written at the same time but holds pretty close to the movies plot but is able to, you know tell you what is actually going on, which some might not like.

"Cat’s Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut really didn’t’ work for me. I really enjoyed Slaughter House Five and Sirens Of Titan and was looking forward to what is regarded as one of his best but it was just a total mess. There was a lot of potential but it never amounts to anything.