Sci-Fi novel recommendations

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Cory

Re: Sci-Fi novel recommendations

Post by Cory » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Faldor wrote: Starship Troopers is great but my favourite of Heinlein's that I've read is 'The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress'.
I've had The Moon is a Harsh Mistress sitting on my shelf since high school (circus 1997) when I got it from the Science Fiction Book Club by accident/negligence. I should probably crack it open, but who has the time? Most of my "reading" is done via Audible on my daily commute.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Cory

Post by Cory » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:14 pm

And out of curiosity, I just checked, and it is on Audible. Maybe I'll queue that bitch up...

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:21 am

Cory wrote: Most of my "reading" is done via Audible on my daily commute.
I get most my reading done with audiobooks, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress was rather well done.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:08 pm

SyFy have released the first episode of "The Expanse" online a few weeks early, It's pretty faithful to the novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZeQD1Vf2s

Cory

Post by Cory » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Listening to The Maze Runner series right now. Enjoyed the first one a lot, second one a little less so, not sure where the third is going just yet. Feels like it follows the same formula used for the Hunger Games trilogy.

*** Spoiler warning ***

Book 1: Kids put through crazy traumatic experience by the government.
Book 2: Kids think they're safe, then put through very similar crazy traumatic experience by the government.
Book 3: Kids escape and try to find a way to take down the government that put them through crazy traumatic experiences in the first two books.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Cory wrote:Listening to The Maze Runner series right now. Enjoyed the first one a lot, second one a little less so, not sure where the third is going just yet. Feels like it follows the same formula used for the Hunger Games trilogy.
How does the first one compare to the movie? My biggest problem with the story of the movie was - "Why do we care about this fictional world or characters?"

And I was shocked to find that the sequel has already been in and out of theaters - did it even have a theatrical release? Wasn't the first movie a $$$ success?

Cory

Post by Cory » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:39 pm

I didn't know the first one was enough of a success for the sequel to be made (didn't really see much about it until it was out on video).

As with most novel adaptations, the plot was about the same, but the characterization and details made the book much better. I definitely cared more about the characters/world reading(listening to) the book than I did watching the movie.

Cory

Post by Cory » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Again, like The Hunger Games, the last book of the Maze Runner series was my least favorite of the three. The ending was much better than I had anticipated, but most of the novel felt like filler to get to that point. Think it would have worked much better in two parts, but who writes/publishes a YA dystopian duology these days? Think I'll pass on the genre for a while. The next obvious choice would have been Divergent, and watching the movie made me not care about ever reading the book at all.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:00 am

Chad Peter wrote:On the more fantastical spectrum of sci-fi, maybe check out the works of Ursula K. LeGuin. Her book "The Lathe of Heaven" is perhaps my favorite book of all time and a quick read.
I wasn't sure at first but I really enjoyed this. What a cool concept. I like how a lot of seventies sci-fi now takes place about fifteen years ago yet everyone still talks like the late sixties.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Faldor wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:On the more fantastical spectrum of sci-fi, maybe check out the works of Ursula K. LeGuin. Her book "The Lathe of Heaven" is perhaps my favorite book of all time and a quick read.
I wasn't sure at first but I really enjoyed this. What a cool concept. I like how a lot of seventies sci-fi now takes place about fifteen years ago yet everyone still talks like the late sixties.
Yeah, there's something about the idea of going into the "same" room, and yet something is different - that whole relationship with the hypnotherapist is awesome. I'm curious how bad the movie adaptations are (there's been 2, I think, but nothing for awhile).

I need to revisit it.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I wondered the same thing about the adaptations, I also noticed the wishing for world peace and then aliens show up which is probably where the Simpsons got it from their Monkey Paw episode.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:14 pm

Faldor wrote:I wondered the same thing about the adaptations, I also noticed the wishing for world peace and then aliens show up which is probably where the Simpsons got it from their Monkey Paw episode.
Hahaha, I had never made that connection.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:19 pm

A couple End-of-the-World novels that were very well done. The technical acuity is sound.

Daniel Suarez's "Daemon" and John Barnes's "Directive 51." Semi-spoilers ahead...

Daemon: A mesh network near-AI is unleashed by using "an army of teen gamers to beta test the operating system of a new civilization."

Directive 51 (excerpted from the back of Directive 51's sequel): "A year has passed since the catastrophic event known as Daybreak began. 9 months since Daybreak killed 7 billion people...8 months since Daybreak vaporized Washington DC..6 months since..." And so it goes...
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Mike wrote:A couple End-of-the-World novels that were very well done. The technical acuity is sound.

Daniel Suarez's "Daemon" and John Barnes's "Directive 51." Semi-spoilers ahead...

Daemon: A mesh network near-AI is unleashed by using "an army of teen gamers to beta test the operating system of a new civilization."

Directive 51 (excerpted from the back of Directive 51's sequel): "A year has passed since the catastrophic event known as Daybreak began. 9 months since Daybreak killed 7 billion people...8 months since Daybreak vaporized Washington DC..6 months since..." And so it goes...
If you had to suggest only one of these... which one wins?

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Chad Peter wrote:If you had to suggest only one of these... which one wins?
Daemon. I really, really like the premise behind Directive 51, but it raises some questions that you have to suffer through the next two books for, and they suck.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 am

Now if only I would spend the time to finish the other six books I'm currently mid-read on... -_-

Currently on "Annihilation" - book one of the Southern Reach trilogy.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Chad Peter wrote:Now if only I would spend the time to finish the other six books I'm currently mid-read on... -_-
As far as I could tell, you've even cut sleep out of schedule because of time constraints...Also, Gibson's "The Peripheral."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:13 pm

Mike wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:Now if only I would spend the time to finish the other six books I'm currently mid-read on... -_-
As far as I could tell, you've even cut sleep out of schedule because of time constraints...Also, Gibson's "The Peripheral."
Hell, at least I haven't started Peripheral. lol... and I'll sleep when I'm dead... which should be any day now.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:30 am

You could just dream that you finished all those book and wake up in a reality where you had! [/Call Back]

I've been reading more John Scalzi. One of his first books is "Agent To The Stars" about aliens making first contact with humanity via a Hollywood agency to help improve their PR. Really fun stuff.

Also 'Fuzzy Nation' about a prospector on an alien world who realises that the cat monkey like animals hanging out in his accommodation might be sentient life which would mean any mining activity would be illegal, right after he's made the find of his life.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:09 am

Faldor wrote:You could just dream that you finished all those book and wake up in a reality where you had! [/Call Back]

I've been reading more John Scalzi. One of his first books is "Agent To The Stars" about aliens making first contact with humanity via a Hollywood agency to help improve their PR. Really fun stuff.
Sounds great. Ordered!
Faldor wrote:Also 'Fuzzy Nation' about a prospector on an alien world who realises that the cat monkey like animals hanging out in his accommodation might be sentient life which would mean any mining activity would be illegal, right after he's made the find of his life.
Having been on a couple of mining projects where the project manager was particularly...undisciplined...with respect to ethics and legalities, I can only suggest that "this will not end well."