Sci-Fi novel recommendations

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Faldor

Re: Sci-Fi novel recommendations

Post by Faldor » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:18 am

Fuzzy Nation does a really good job of making the protagonist sympathetic as he has a lot to gain from the mining rights but also the only person with a relationship with the creatures. It's a "remake" of a novel from the sixties that was considered a bit... racist.
Mike wrote:Sounds great. Ordered!
I need me one of those amazon affiliate links round about now! :lol:

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Faldor wrote:Fuzzy Nation does a really good job of making the protagonist sympathetic as he has a lot to gain from the mining rights but also the only person with a relationship with the creatures. It's a "remake" of a novel from the sixties that was considered a bit... racist.
So there's more to it than an otherwordly re-telling of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." (Gold fever is real.) If the prospector is interested in the mining rights and yet the only personal with a relationship with the creatures, he becomes a diplomat? No, wait, I'll keep an eye out for Fuzzy Nation and find out for myself.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:14 pm

...Maybe ;)

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Faldor wrote:One of his first books is "Agent To The Stars" about aliens making first contact with humanity via a Hollywood agency to help improve their PR. Really fun stuff.
Overall good read - awesome premise, somewhat flawed execution, funny as hell industry-insider snarky comments - and now I have a book that I don't want to keep competing for space on overcrowded bookshelves. Who wants to read it next? PM your mailing address and I'll get it into the mail. Probably later than sooner.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Mike wrote:
Faldor wrote:One of his first books is "Agent To The Stars" about aliens making first contact with humanity via a Hollywood agency to help improve their PR. Really fun stuff.
Overall good read - awesome premise, somewhat flawed execution, funny as hell industry-insider snarky comments - and now I have a book that I don't want to keep competing for space on overcrowded bookshelves. Who wants to read it next? PM your mailing address and I'll get it into the mail. Probably later than sooner.
I'd raise my hand here, but lets be honest. Me? Read?

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Chad Peter wrote:I'd raise my hand here, but lets be honest. Me? Read?
It happens when work isn't stress-testing-you-to-failure...you've gotten through most of the stuff I've sent you, which is pretty damn good. Though I'd prioritize the latest Gibson over this one.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:16 am

'Babylon's Ashes' was released today after being pushed back from august. It's the sixth book in the Expanse series.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:12 am

I just read "Six Wakes" about a group of clones on a deep space mission who have just been activated to find their previous version have all been murdered and the killer is probably among them.

Really fun well written bit of sci-fi.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am

Faldor wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:16 am
'Babylon's Ashes' was released today after being pushed back from august. It's the sixth book in the Expanse series.
Almost finished with "Leviathan Wakes" and I'm finding it to be extremely entertaining. I need to get past where the TV show is currently though, because it's coloring my perception of the books. I keep imagining the characters looking like the actors on the show, even though none of their descriptions really match all that well. Once I'm past the show in terms of the story, I feel like it will be even better!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Nic wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Faldor wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:16 am
Almost finished with "Leviathan Wakes" and I'm finding it to be extremely entertaining. I need to get past where the TV show is currently though, because it's coloring my perception of the books. I keep imagining the characters looking like the actors on the show, even though none of their descriptions really match all that well. Once I'm past the show in terms of the story, I feel like it will be even better!
How may books in the Expanse series ARE there? *too lazy to check google*

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Seven so far.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:57 am

Six, but don't worry they're also making a TV show :)

The audio books are really well produced, one of the great things about working in VFX is just being able to listen to books and podcasts.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Nic wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:11 pm
Seven...
Faldor wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:57 am
Six...
Oh! Fight! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Nic

Post by Nic » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:57 pm

It's complicated, because the books are a mix of novels, novellas, and short stories.

There are six (6) full-length novels.
Three (3) novellas
And three (3) short stories.

Also, the book "The Martian" by Andy Weir (and a movie with Matt Damon) is also set in the same universe, with a ship named the "Mark Watney" appearing in the new Expanse book.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:36 am

But don't worry Chad, they're making a TV show for those with your attention span :D

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:44 am

Faldor wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:36 am
But don't worry Chad, they're making a TV show for those with your attention span :D
Thank God...

What are we talking about, again?

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Hah... of course they're making a feature film out of the latest book I've been reading (FOREVER now, because I'm so slow at life). "Annihilation" stars Natalie Portman, who seems to follow me around all stalker like. God, I really wish she'd just leave me alone already.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 am

The expanse finished its second season this week. The show is roughly at the halfway point of book two "Caliban's war". The second season has definitely been much stronger than the first and it's already been renewed for season three. The real question is will it keep going long enough for them to adapt book 5 and six?

John's Scalzi recently released the first book in a new series "the collapsing Empire". Which is kind of a combination of June and foundation. It follows an Empire which is held together by a flow system which is something in between hyperspace and a river. It follows a young woman ascending to the throne who had never been in the line of succession and a young scientist who lives on the furthest planet that realises these flow systems are collapsing and the Empire along with it. It's a really fun sci-fi book that I blazed through as you'll see from the rest of the thread I'm rather fond of Scalzi's work.

Nic

Post by Nic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Faldor wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 am
The expanse finished its second season this week. The show is roughly at the halfway point of book two "Caliban's war". The second season has definitely been much stronger than the first and it's already been renewed for season three. The real question is will it keep going long enough for them to adapt book 5 and six?
Having read the books now, I'm finding the TV show to be lacking. It keeps straying further from the books every week, and just when you think they've just decided to go off completely, they sneak in a scene from a book to remind you that it's still the Expanse-iverse after all. It's not a bad show at all, but it's just way too much story for a Sci-Fi TV budget. I bet HBO could have knocked it out the park.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Nic wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm
Having read the books now, I'm finding the TV show to be lacking.
It's the best Sci-fi in years but still nowhere near as good as the novels. I'm enjoying the show but they are dropping so many great moments for no good reason, I loved how in the book Prax hasn't eaten for a month and is ill from worry about his daughter and just recognises Holden in a corridor and introduces himself.

One of the best moment in book 6 is when Jackbooted thugs take Prax from his home in the middle of the night and interrogate him. Prax realises He's going to have to make the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good and makes peace with that. Only for the thugs to not understand what he's saying and just let him go.

Prax on the show is just kinda handsome and coherent.

The show gets more right than wrong, Amos didn't work for me in the first season but he's now finding himself. Bobbie has been great to watch and Avasarala has finally started swearing.

whilst it's not as good as the books (yet) It's a really well-made space series where one of the best characters is an ageing Indian woman. So I'll give it points for being different.