TV: What are you currently watching?

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

TV: What are you currently watching?

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:48 pm

On watch list:
Daredevil

Just getting started:
Walking Dead (season 4) - JUST started the show less than five days ago and already on season 4. Fitting, because I'm dying of the plague while I watch.
The Killing
The Leftovers (season 2) - After a wacky season 1, s2 is actually pretty solid so far.
Homeland (season 6? or 5?) - I lost track. Whatever the latest episode is, that's where I am. Probably the best show on TV.

Falling behind on:
Orphan Black (season 3) - started and promptly got bored. Need to pick it back up.

Long haul:
X-Files (season 2) - trying and failing to catch up before the new miniseries later this year.

Caught up:
Game of Thrones (duh)
The Americans (just gets better and better - soviets and spies. What could be better?)

Just Finished:
The Knick (season 1) - great stuff.
Boardwalk Empire (peaked at the end of season two - all downhill ever since)

Gave up on:
Bloodline - maybe again someday, but the pilot ep lost me.
Veep - (only put this on as background noise)

Vaportrail

Re: TV: What are you currently watching?

Post by Vaportrail » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:00 pm

I kind of go through phases, but this sort of summarizes my year..

On watch list:
Arrow (I like archery, okay.)
The Office (g/f hw)
Danger 5
Vixen

Just getting started:
Luther
Sword Art Online
Star Wars: Rebels
The Wire
Stargate: Atlantis (g/f hw Mk. II)

Falling behind on:
House of Cards (Season 3)
Archer (Vice. Meh.)
Avengers Assemble (Season 2.)

Long haul:
X-Files (Season 1. There's so much and it's too episodic to leave me hooked.)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex (I keep falling asleep, but anime isn't as good during the day.)
Clone Wars (It's so bad, but Star Wars, so.)
M*A*S*H*
Cheers
Star Trek. (Any/All. Someday. I prolly won't watch in order.)
Friends (I'm always somewhere in the middle of it. Good background noise.)

Caught up:
DareDevil (omg)
Brooklyn 99
The Flash
Last Man Standing

Just Finished:
Agents of SHIELD (Season 2 > Season 1. By a lot.)
Parks & Recreation

Gave up on:
Constantine (I should, but I'm just never in the mood.)
Game of Thrones (Season 3. I finished the season after the Red Wedding, but I was Team Stark, so.)
Doctor Who (Hasn't been the same since Matt Smith. Too hit/miss.)
The League (Spoiler: It turns out they're all just assholes.)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (It was good for a bit, but I think I'm too 30 to stay interested.)
Walking Dead. (Too much Governor drama.)

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:33 am

Currently catching up on Agent's Of SHIELD and Parks And Recreation.

Really enjoying Season 2 of Shield, it had a slow start and it was a tad confusing throwing in all the new characters after how season 1 wrapped up but once they brought a bit of humour back to to it things have improved greatly.

I started watching Killjoys on SyFy which followed a lady space bounty hunter, it was ok and I want to pick it up at some point and probably won't. It clearly wants to be Firefly but feels more like Stargate.

Doctor Who is back in a week or so, I really like what Capaldi is doing but the writing is tired and they need to take risks again. The early seasons had some episodes that really worked because they took a risk and some that really didn't but I love that the show went there. I'm feeling the way I did about Star Trek: Voyager around season 5 or 6 which is about as damning as I can get.

I watched the first few episodes of Daredevil and meant to catch up on it.

Cory

Post by Cory » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:07 am

Watch list:
Heroes Reborn
Blindspot
Breaking Bad (I know)
House of Cards
Sons of Anarchy
Grimm

Caught up on:
Game of Thrones
Criminal Minds
Walking Dead
Fear the Walking Dead
Arrow
The Flash
Gotham
The Blacklist
Big Bang
SW Rebels

Behind on/need to finish:
Longmire
Killjoys
Dark Matter
Person of Interest
Leverage
Burn Notice (one of those shows I just don't want to finish because I don't want it to be over)
Stargate Atlantis (same as burn notice)
Agents of Shield
Defiance (might just give up)
Warehouse 13 (up to ssn3, waiting for 4 to go on Netflix or prime)

Didn't realize I watched so much TV. Really I just barely keep up with my favorite shows and keep telling myself I'll watch/catch up on the others.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:15 am

Well, I don't really watch TV at all. I do occasionally watch a show on Netflix or Amazon Prime whilst I'm eating dinner or something, but I never actually sit down to watch TV. Usually it's something on H&G TV or the news. In fact, my TV can go weeks at a time without even being turned on.

Having said that, I can take a stab at this list:

On watch list:
The Flash/Arrow. (You can watch these shows on the CW website the day after they're broadcast. I managed to catch up that way.)
Continuum. This poor show is so much better than anyone wanted to give it credit for, but it was relegated to the black hole of Friday nights. At least they're actually going to finish the story with a final truncated season. It deserved to be treated so much better.
Jessica Jones. I normally wouldn't have given a care about this, but after seeing what Netflix did with Daredevil, this show has caught my attention.

Just getting started:
N/A

Falling behind on:
N/A

Long haul:
I tried to watch Parks and Recreation, but Amazon/Netflix only has until season 6. I've seen it all up until then, and hope that the final episodes make their way to streaming soon.

Caught up:
Daredevil. Best thing Marvel has ever done on any screen.

Just Finished:
Sons of Anarchy. Awesome! Except way too many scenes with Jimmy Smits and Peg Bundy talking and talking and talking some more. I got to the point where I would fast-forward any scene with the two of them in it. Otherwise, good show.

Gave up on:
Sense8. Everyone kept saying how wonderful and amazing this show was, but after two aborted attempts to get through the pilot, I just couldn't take it anymore. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Watch List (EDIT: Did this mean "watching now" or "to watch"?) (hmm) (I interpreted it as "to watch"):
- The UK "House of Cards". I gave up on the American after two seasons and change. The weird sex stuff isn't what lost me, but it didn't fucking help.
- "The Flash". Last year I had an option of two superhero shows to try, Gotham or this. I forgot about The Flash but tried Gotham. I chose… poorly.
- "Supergirl". At long last, a mix of "The Devil Wears Prada" and superheroes. I may be the only person over the age of 12 who is the target audience for this program.
- "The Wire". Someday I'll get to it, I swear.

A few series I've caught up on or finished of late:

"Broad City" — The show that Girls should have been. Funny and delightful portrayal of best friends against the world. Goes for the easy joke a little too often, but when it does something original or simply captures the joy of being young and foolish, it's glee.

"Garfunkel and Oates" — Adorable, but I see why this show didn't last on TV. It takes the ladies' songs, makes nicer music videos out of them and tries to wrap stories around them, and the stories are sometimes okay and sometimes quite funny, but you're always just waiting for the next tune to come along because those are generally the highlight.

"Bojack Horseman" — Kind of brilliant in its creation of a visual world of animal gags while at the same time creating a compelling story of depression / self-loathing even in the face of material success. A successful mix of comedy and drama, it would be a better world if animated comedies like this, and not Seth MacFarlane's drivel, were getting made.

"Daredevil" — I was bored. Never bored enough to quit, but often bored enough to wish this show would get on with it. The Ben Affleck movie had its problems, and shows its age very badly, but at least it got where it was going. Also, and this isn't the show's fault, but I think Marvel's gotta rethink its notion of Daredevil as the defender of Hell's Kitchen—Hell's Kitchen is gentrified as fuck now, and the show is attempting to tell the real estate story of something that happened ages ago.

My favorite show currently airing remains "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", which I am finally all caught up on, though I don't think the newest season was their strongest — maybe after a decade it's time to wrap it up? But I do love its brand of dark, everyone's-an-asshole comedy.

Teetering on the edge:

"Game of Thrones". I enjoy this show, but I get the feeling Martin has no idea what he's doing and is wandering in circles. Watching this show is like watching sports, it doesn't matter what came last week or what's coming next week because it's just the same shit over and over and someone's always getting beaten and victories are temporary. And, again, I enjoy the show, particularly the Daenerys storyline. The dialogue is often tasty and the performances are good, particularly Dinklage, who I'm so glad is getting his due (I worked with him once, he's a good guy). I just get the sense you could watch the episodes or the seasons in any order and enjoy it just as much. People show up, they're badass, they die.

"South Park". This has gotten weird and unpleasant and unfunny in the past few years and I get the sense the creators would move on if they could.

"Saturday Night Live". They really lost a lot of good cast members lately, last year was a rebuilding year and not their best. But election time is coming up, that's usually when "SNL" shines. Oh, who am I kidding. I'll be watching this shit for the rest of my life.
Last edited by Adam Bertocci on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Adam Bertocci wrote: - The UK "House of Cards". I gave up on the American after two seasons and change. The weird sex stuff isn't what lost me, but it didn't fucking help.
How're you getting on? I watched it about 10 years ago, it turns into a serious of political "What If"'s as it goes on.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Oh, I've only watched five minutes of the UK House of Cards. I think I misinterpreted "watch list" as "to watch" not "watching now".

My Dad saw it and said it's better. I get my Anglophilia from him. I'm told that the 'party infighting for position' stuff makes a lot more sense in the UK than in the US.

Either way, the US version just stopped being fun after a while. Spacey and Wright were still compelling to watch, and I was frankly glad to get the untalented Kate Mara out of the picture. But I wanted more schemes and plots, and I felt like the show was spinning its wheels and every episode was coming in fat.

I feel like the UK version will be a little more delicious, condensing all the brooding and making things zip at a briskly-placed clip. You lot were always much better than we Yanks at not letting a show overstay its welcome.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Adam Bertocci wrote:I was frankly glad to get the untalented Kate Mara out of the picture.
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH! ;)

haha...

Cory, I think I understand now why you haven't seen any movies. Because you watch so much goddamn TV. hahaha...

You all definitely seem to watch more than I do. Granted, I work on a show you've all given up on - So who am I to judge? lolol

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:40 pm

I actually don't watch much TV, outside of listening to a local station's sitcom reruns at night, is the weird thing. I tend to bingewatch on DVD. I don't even have cable. I was able to get through a lot of Netflix stuff this summer because I was pet-sitting for my half-sister.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:41 pm

OH, and I forgot "True Detective". Season 1 was AMAZING. Season 2 has been... rough. Really rough. Still only half way through it. Thank God they have a different storyline every year (although they really should have kept running with the season 1 plot).

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Hey now, I've seen all three seasons of House of Cards here in 'Murica. The first two were pretty good.

And while Kate Mara might not be the best actress around, she's nice to look at.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:01 am

Adam Bertocci wrote:Oh, I've only watched five minutes of the UK House of Cards.
The first 5 minutes shows Ian Richardson telling the audience about Mrs Thatcher leaving office, this was written as a complete 'What-If?" but the week before broadcast she was Chancellor Valorum'd in a no confidence vote.

Chad, I still like the netflix show although I sometimes wince at the amount of screen replacements!
Chad Peter wrote:OH, and I forgot "True Detective". Season 1 was AMAZING.
I liked season 1 but I don't get why everyones treating it like some TV Messiah. I'd have liked it better if it had pulled some kind of Lovecraft paranormal shift.

Lank

Post by Lank » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:20 pm

I try to only watch one show at a time, one season at a time, at most one episode per day.
I break these rules when watching (different) stuff with the gf.

Currently watching

Suits. This show rules. Way better than you think yet another lawyer show would be.

Recently finished

Wet Hot American Summer
Orphan Black S3. Get back on it, Chad. It picks up!

Up next
Eastbound And Down, the final season.

In between seasons of

Game Of Thrones
Archer
Agents Of SHIELD

One of these days I will get around to watching The Wire. It's the cloud that's been hanging over my head for years.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Cory

Post by Cory » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Generally I try to catch up on "my" shows when it's my day alone with the kiddos, as long as they're shows they can be around for (makes GoT and TWD difficult). Usually in the evening after the boys are in bed, we watch one of "our" (read that "her") shows such as America's Got Talent, usually during which I occupy myself with something else and pretend to watch with her (will stop and pay attention if something really cool happens, otherwise I'm reading a book on my phone or something).
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Heiliger

Post by Heiliger » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:32 am

On watch list:
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
The Wire
The Jinx
The Simpsons
The Blacklist
House of Cards
Sons of Anarchy
The Killing
Jericho
Dexter
Freaks and Geeks
Boss
The Job
Video Game High School

Just getting started:
Cosmos
Bloodline
Sense8

Falling behind on:
True Detective S2
Black Mirror
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Long haul:
X-Files
Star Trek (all series)
Futurama
The Twilight Zone

Caught up:
Archer
Bojack Horseman

Gave up on:
I never give up even when it's obvious I should.
Except on The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Clearly my watch list is way bigger than the amount of time I have in my life.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Heiliger wrote:Falling behind on:
True Detective S2
We should really try and finish the last three sometime this week or next.
Faldor wrote:Chad, I still like the netflix show although I sometimes wince at the amount of screen replacements!
Fortunately (or unfortunately?) screen replacements are not my job (although they might be by the end of season 4). My job is - almost specifically - to track and re-animate EVERY single camera move on the show (inaccurately referred to as 'stabilization'). That includes final framing, etc, etc, etc. I also do all the boom-mic removals and split screens.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:45 am

Chad Peter wrote:My job is - almost specifically - to track and re-animate EVERY single camera move on the show
I'm very curious about how that actually works, is the footage in 2k or 4k and down res'ing to HD? Is there a lot of image loss or do you have to do crazy things to fill in blank areas from reframing?

Do they shoot at a higher shutter speed and do you sit around painting in motion blur?

what do I have to do to film with my DSLR one handed and make it look like a steadicam :P

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:21 am

Now that I'm 7 episodes deep into The Knick - this show is bonkers. Pretty impressive how Soderbergh has been able to pull of the feel of "turn of the century" NYC (the old century, not this stupid new one). Highly recommend if you can handle the sight of blood.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:14 pm

Starting "The Killing" - cinematography is gorgeous so far. Granted, it was shot in Seattle, so....