TV: What are you currently watching?

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Nic

Re: TV: What are you currently watching?

Post by Nic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:22 am

Shout out for Luke Cage. Anyone else? I think it's decent, but I liked Daredevil better. On par with Jessica Jones. Still the best live-action Marvel stuff you can get, and far superior to the Joss Whedon movies.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:32 am

Nic wrote:Shout out for Luke Cage. Anyone else? I think it's decent, but I liked Daredevil better. On par with Jessica Jones. Still the best live-action Marvel stuff you can get, and far superior to the Joss Whedon movies.
Hell, I still haven't watched Daredevil season 1, let alone any of the other Marvel shows.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Diggin' Luke Cage for the most part, little propaganda laden at times but worth my time so far.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:01 am

Watched the Netflix Amanda Knox documentary last night. It was pretty fascinating to watch, albeit it didn't really add anything beyond a further examination of WHO these people are on a more interpersonal level. The documentary, I think, is all-so-slightly pushed in her favor of wrongful accusal, and nothing is really presented to bring you away from that conclusion - not that it's a bad one. Something is certainly missing, though, and what's missing is the details of all the peripheral characters. Specifically the owner of the restaurant AND the third party guy that admitted to being in the house with the girl during the murder itself. I'd love to know more about Amanda's relationship with those people.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:35 am

Goddamn. That second episode of Westworld was even better than the first. Love this show so far.

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:38 pm

Westworld, Orphan Black Season 1, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and struggling my way through Narcos season 2 which is not holding my attention like season 1.

Nic

Post by Nic » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 am

Westworld has my interest, but it needs to pick up the pace a little bit. Also, I have too many questions about how things work, like: Do they fix and refurbish all of the "killed" hosts every night? Who fixes all the physical damage to the environment? Are there replacement hosts in case one gets damaged beyond simple repair? Is the park closed certain hours to facilitate this? Does someone have to clean the semen out of the tavern whore-bots every night? Or do they just let it collect for a few days? Etc., etc...

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:04 pm

The third episode was definitely a bit slower and conjured up more questions than it answered - that said, I still think mystery is the strength of the show. It was good that they made a point to explain what happens when newcomers are SHOT, so I'm assuming they'll dig into the rest of the nitty gritty (semen cleaning) later.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:49 am

*rocking back and forth, whimpering*

(just watched the season 7 walking dead premiere)

Heiliger

Post by Heiliger » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am

Just finished American Horror Story: Hotel (starring Lady Gaga's ass in, like, every episode) and I thought it was one of worse ones to date. Same M.O. as the other seasons - set up the world's characters and rules, then throw the rules out the window and go batshit insane, then wrap it up with some semi-feel good BS. It's hard to feel good about anything because everyone is such a goddamn asshole.

They really do throw everything at the wall on this show though. Asylum had possessed nuns, Frankenstein monsters made by a Nazi scientist, and UFOs all happening at once. There is a scene in this season where a ghost, a vampire, and a witch are having a brawl in a hotel room and it's not nearly as cool as that idea should be. There's a rule in storytelling about having only one "magic" thing happening at a time and Ryan Murphy thinks he's way too cool for that.

Cory

Post by Cory » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:59 pm

I've officially quit The Walking Dead. I've always said if that person died, I was done, so I'm sticking to my guns. I may come back to it at some point in the not-so-near future, but for now I'm using that time for something else.

Agents of Shield got good last season...the Ghostrider season isn't nearly as cool as I'd hoped so far though.

I loved Luke Cage as much as the rest of the Marvel Netflix series. Curious to see how Iron Fist goes. Probably more excited for season 2 of Jessica Jones than any of them though.

Started watching Timeless...it's got me interested, I'll see where it goes.

This is Us has me hooked. First episode had me bawling like a little kid with a skinned knee. Much feels in this one, especially with my 3rd boy about to be born. Plus it's cool to see Smallville's Green Arrow in something again, lol.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Cory wrote:I've officially quit The Walking Dead. I've always said if that person died, I was done, so I'm sticking to my guns. I may come back to it at some point in the not-so-near future, but for now I'm using that time for something else.
Wasn't it well known that THAT person died in the comic books, though? Unless you're referring to the other guy...

Haven't heard of "This is us" - the hell is that?

Nic

Post by Nic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:41 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Cory wrote:I've officially quit The Walking Dead. I've always said if that person died, I was done, so I'm sticking to my guns. I may come back to it at some point in the not-so-near future, but for now I'm using that time for something else

Wasn't it well known that THAT person died in the comic books, though? Unless you're referring to the other guy...
Exactly this. How could you not know? I don't even watch the show and I knew.
Chad Peter wrote:Haven't heard of "This is us" - the hell is that?
It's basically "Thirtysomething" remade for 2016 from what I can tell. I might be the only one old enough to remember that show though, so that explains why "This is us" is so popular.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Nic wrote: I might be the only one old enough to remember that show though...
...I was 14 when 30 Something first aired...I didn't watch.

I'm old enough to remember 8 track cassettes when they were (sort of) popular...

I'm old.

*sigh

**slowly rides off into the setting sun on a skateboard.

Cory

Post by Cory » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:06 pm

Nic wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:
Cory wrote:I've officially quit The Walking Dead. I've always said if that person died, I was done, so I'm sticking to my guns. I may come back to it at some point in the not-so-near future, but for now I'm using that time for something else

Exactly this. How could you not know? I don't even watch the show and I knew.
So I never read the comic, but from what I heard, he died quite a while before in the comic, so to me that means the character developed differently (better) than in the comic. Also, like Daryl - a character who wasn't even in the comic - the fans loved him. So the whole "oh, you knew it was coming because he died in the comic!" thing means squat to me. I absolutely hated that they faked it last season, then said "fooled ya, he really dies now!", and then did it in a way that left him with zero dignity.

What it boils down to is that he was my favorite character, the only one left whose story I was interested in, and his story is over, so I'm done.
Nic wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:Haven't heard of "This is us" - the hell is that?
It's basically "Thirtysomething" remade for 2016 from what I can tell. I might be the only one old enough to remember that show though, so that explains why "This is us" is so popular.
I remember "Thirtysomething", but wasn't old enough at the time to be interested in it.

It's good drama, pretty funny in spots, and tugs on your feels in other spots. I just really like it so far, I dunno.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Lank

Post by Lank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:59 am

Heiliger wrote:Just finished American Horror Story: Hotel (starring Lady Gaga's ass in, like, every episode)...
BTW I worked on a few episodes of that season. Saw some Gaga body but not ass.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Lank

Post by Lank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 am

Also, FINALLY started Stranger Things. Loving it so far!
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:59 am

"The Expanse" is now on netflix and is brilliant.

Ornsack

Post by Ornsack » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 am

Also late to the party, but just watched Stranger Things and absolutely loved it.

I'm really happy that they're making shorter series over in the US. The lack of padding in Stranger Things meant it was great fun from start to finish. No padding and tight stories with an actual ending (imagine Lost as a solid 20 parter with a pre-defined end? It would have blown our collective balls off).

As some of you have already stated, looking forward to a new season but a strong part of me wishes this was it. A solid story with intriguing loose ends that don't really need closing. BUT OH IF THEY HAVE TO I'LL BE RIGHT ON IT.

Also up to date with Walking Dead. Still enjoyable but just all feels a bit slow these days (apart from THAT episode).

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:43 am

Looking forward to watching the 3rd series of The Fall. Loved the first two.