TV: What are you currently watching?

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: TV: What are you currently watching?

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Lank wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm
Currently watching New Girl and loving it.
Makes me want to move to Los Angeles and celebrate my youth with a bunch of roommates!
God, you'd put me thru that AGAIN?

(actually we had a lot of fun)

(oh wait you actually still have a lot of FEMALE roommates)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am

Hearing great things about "Handmaid's Tale" on Hulu. Anybody watching this?

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am

I don't subscribe to Hulu but it's probably good that I won't see Handmaid's Tale until all the thinkpieces about Art In the Age of Trump calm down.

Big exciting week in TV for the Adamster; three live musicals announced this week. I eat that shit up with a spoon. "Jesus Christ Superstar" in particular might well scratch an itch for me, it's one of my top favorite shows but it's never had a screen version I've wanted to see more than once.

NathanM

Post by NathanM » Sun May 14, 2017 7:55 am

Really enjoying Sense 8 new season. Can't really say I'm into a ton new shows it feels like. Which is odd because I know I sit in front of the Tv.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon May 15, 2017 4:31 am

I got quite far into the first season of 'Sense8' but didn't finish it because it got rather repetitive as all eight characters learned the same powers. Maybe I'll try picking it up again.

I've been absolutely blown away by the first two episodes of 'American Gods'. I read the book about ten years back and loved it. I find it's good to have some distance with adaptations, so you remember the broad strokes but not every tiny detail.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon May 15, 2017 1:52 pm

I was never able to get into "Sense8" - hell, didn't even know the second season was in production.

Definitely looking forward to American Gods - and Preacher (I don't know why I have both of those taking place in the same literary atmosphere, because they clearly don't). Preacher I'll need to see, just to support Mark, since he works on it now.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:52 pm
I was never able to get into "Sense8" - hell, didn't even know the second season was in production.
You must work in the only office that doesn't discuss netflix shows around the water cooler.

(I've never worked in an office, that's a thing, right?)

Preacher is a very odd take on the comic, certain aspects they have spot on and others they've gone in a completely different direction with the show. I'm not saying it has to be accurate to the comic but the way they keep going back and forth from it is very odd.

The weirdest thing being the first scene from the comic is the last scene of the first season with everything else being a kind of prequel to the comics story, but with certain elements happening early or differently.

It's a good show, it's not the comic but occasionally it tries to be.

American Gods so far has the book down perfectly, with spot-on casting.

NathanM

Post by NathanM » Tue May 16, 2017 9:18 am

I know I'm looking forward to twin peaks I'll just shut off and watch nightly.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 am

I never watched Twin Peaks back in the day so I've started the first season just to see what all of the hype was about. Looks like I missed out. It's very dated now but I can see why this was a thing. It also takes me back, I can't even recall the number of times I passed by Snoqualmie Falls and North Bend while going camping during the time they were shooting this.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Looking forward to watching Twin Peaks. Not sure if I want to sift thru season 2 (and the movie) beforehand. I suppose I should. But UGGGHHH season two was bad.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:14 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:04 pm
Looking forward to watching Twin Peaks. Not sure if I want to sift thru season 2 (and the movie) beforehand. I suppose I should. But UGGGHHH season two was bad.
And season 1 was good? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the quirky awkwardness each character contributed to the whole, but damn was it bad. I'm just getting ready to start season two so I have yet to witness just how disjointed this can become.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:06 am

Sticking with the Washington State theme, We've been rewatching Frasier.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:01 am

Faldor wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:06 am
Sticking with the Washington State theme, We've been rewatching Frasier.
Heh, only one episode was ever shot in Washington.

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Alternating between Orphan Black season 2, Turn season 3 (or 4, which ever is the latest on Netflix), and Twin peaks season 2 with an occasional Frontier thrown in from time to time.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:01 am
The English accents are all terrible. Starting with Daphne, I don't think Janes Leeves is even allowed North of Birmingham anymore.

(translation: Daphne is right posh and only pretends to be from Manchester)

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 am

Faldor wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 am
Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:01 am
The English accents are all terrible. Starting with Daphne, I don't think Janes Leeves is even allowed North of Birmingham anymore.

(translation: Daphne is right posh and only pretends to be from Manchester)
I'll take your word for it. I never could sit through a full episode of Fraiser. Much like Seinfeld, theres a fine line between intellectual humor and pretentious self aggrandizement that, once crossed, just pisses me off. Then it doesn't matter how much they try to undermine the characters elitist nature by turning character flaws into laughing points. I just can't watch.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Sooo... Twin Peaks season three is hard to watch. I made it to episode four, not sure I can continue. I love quirky, awkward, and just plain weird but, man this is just painful. Kudos to Lynch for gathering up 99.9% of the original cast twenty five years later though.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:26 am

Star Trek.

Nic

Post by Nic » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Watched the new Star Trek. Pretty much hated it. For example, it basically had nothing to do with Star Trek. Also, continuity be damned. I know the producers said that they were "fans" and that it would be "faithful" to the original timeline, but that was an utter bullshit lie to get people to watch it. I'm not fooled. Just the technological elements of the show alone (touchscreens, holographic transmissions, super transporters) are enough to destroy that argument.

Honestly, I wish they would have just rebooted Star Trek entirely. And by the looks of it, I think that's exactly what they did.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 am

Nic wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm
For example, it basically had nothing to do with Star Trek.
I loved every minute of it. It felt way more Trek than all of Voyager and most of Enterprise (and I liked Enterprise) They were never going to make a series with the aesthetic of the sixties show and changing up the look and style has been consistent with every new Trek from the original through Next Gen.