TV: What are you currently watching?

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Lank

Re: TV: What are you currently watching?

Post by Lank » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Check out the instagram account of the ASC if you don't already. Lots of pics from the DP of The Killing.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:13 am

Lank wrote:Check out the instagram account of the ASC if you don't already. Lots of pics from the DP of The Killing.
Yeah, actually been checking ASC out ever since Reed Morano took it over (and subsequently passed it to the next DP).

I gotta say - most of these elder DPs are awful at instagram. hahaha

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Lank wrote:I gotta say - most of these elder DPs are awful at instagram. hahaha
Do they just take a photo on their phone of the monitor in video village?

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Faldor wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:
Lank wrote:I gotta say - most of these elder DPs are awful at instagram. hahaha
Do they just take a photo on their phone of the monitor in video village?
Sometimes worse than that.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:26 am

Continuum ended its series run tonight. I've managed to watch most of it over the years by combination of, er, acquirement from the Internet and Netflix. I was able to watch the series finale tonight because my apartment complex forces us to pay for cable, but at any rate, the show ended satisfactorily. It meandered off course over the last couple of seasons, but wrapped almost everything up in a decent way. The real blessing of this show was the pull-no-punches aspect of telling a time travel story, and how it dealt realistically with paradoxes. There wasn't a happy ending, because there simply couldn't have been one. It was groundbreaking in a way, and it's a sad thing that the show wasn't more popular. It really introduced a lot of thoughtful devices.

Carry on.

Cory

Post by Cory » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Nic wrote:Continuum ended its series run tonight. I've managed to watch most of it over the years by combination of, er, acquirement from the Internet and Netflix. I was able to watch the series finale tonight because my apartment complex forces us to pay for cable, but at any rate, the show ended satisfactorily. It meandered off course over the last couple of seasons, but wrapped almost everything up in a decent way. The real blessing of this show was the pull-no-punches aspect of telling a time travel story, and how it dealt realistically with paradoxes. There wasn't a happy ending, because there simply couldn't have been one. It was groundbreaking in a way, and it's a sad thing that the show wasn't more popular. It really introduced a lot of thoughtful devices.

Carry on.
Plus Rachel Nichols is incredibly hot. So there's that.

The actress, not the annoying-as-fuck ESPN reporter.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Started watching Walking Dead last week, after being diagnosed with Mono and stuck at home. Already on Season 4. It's not the greatest show by any means, but it has been enjoyable.

Lank

Post by Lank » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:35 am

Been watching Eastbound & Down. I love the shit out of this show. The humor is one thing, but then out of nowhere it'll hit you with a big heartfelt moment.

Also been watching Workaholics because I've been working on it. Like as a crewmember. Fucking hilarious.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:51 am

I picked up a cheap blu-ray of season one of Terminator colon The Sarah Connor Chronicles (physical media, remember that?) whilst out with old school TFNer Vidina.

It's a pretty fun show with Queen Cersei acting likable, River Tamm acting sane-ish and Liz Lemons boyfriend from 30 Rock not being a complete bell end!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Lank wrote:Been watching Eastbound & Down. I love the shit out of this show. The humor is one thing, but then out of nowhere it'll hit you with a big heartfelt moment.

Also been watching Workaholics because I've been working on it. Like as a crewmember. Fucking hilarious.
EB&D absolutely kills me sometimes... the breakup scene with Andrea destroyed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQJ2QETnjcY

Also: never heard of Workaholics.

AND... Sarah Connor Chronicles... Tried to start it. Couldn't get far.

Heiliger

Post by Heiliger » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Making A Murderer on Netflix is probably the most fascinating and enraging doc series I've ever seen. And the thought that this is just one instance of the Good Ol' Boy justice system in this country is also maddening. How did the bullies from high school get so much power?

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:52 am

I am enjoying "Supergirl". You have to turn your brain off to a truly immense degree, but Melissa Benoist is very likeable and the Flockhart character is a hoot. It's an hour of escapist fun a week.

"The Muppets": Watched because a friend works on it. There's a few good jokes a week, and I think the doc-style cinematography actually helps sell the Muppets as all the more real in a way no TV or movie show's framing ever could before, but the writing… I think they are trying to find a place between the sweet-sentimental tone of the movies and the comparatively more anarchic, prickly tone of the old TV show, and it's still rickety.

Vaportrail

Post by Vaportrail » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:54 am

I gave "Supergirl" a shot, but I can't do it for the same reason I can't watch "Smallville". Where the 'Ville took Superman canon and made it all happen to pre-Supes Clark Kent, "Supergirl" is somehow an alternate reality where everything that happens to Superman happens to Supergirl instead, despite the fact that the big S is still around doing his thing. She has her *own* history, CW, ffs.
"Arrow" and "Flash"... sometimes I'm in the mood. Flash has the tone of the comic down perfectly, problem is that I usually don't care for Flash comics. ArrCW is finally Green Arrow, but unfortunately still in the control of CW writers. "Legends of Tomorrow", ugh. Couldn't even finish the 2-part pilot.

"Brooklyn 99" is still solid, "Muppets" always has some amazing lines that catch me by surprise, waiting for "SHIELD" to get off hiatus, I finally started watching Season 3 of "House of Cards" and I can't bring myself to click "X-Files" just yet. I saw the headline reviews.
Oh, and "Galavant" recently fell on my radar. Need to find somewhere to watch Season 1.

Nic

Post by Nic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 am

Arrow jumped the shark right at the beginning of season 3. Season 4 is abysmal and the show needs to end. Flash is still a lot of fun, and I'm willing to give Legends of tomorrow another episode or two before I judge it too harshly. So far though, it's crap.

I've been catching a show called "The Expanse" onlline, and it has my interest. It moves slow as hell, but the production quality is off the charts.

Cory

Post by Cory » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I think it's interesting to see different geeks' opinions on Arrow and The Flash. Wasta loves Arrow, but thinks The Flash has too much "CW Drama" to it.

I loved Arrow when it first started, but haven't been as thrilled with it lately. I still feel compelled to watch it, but feel like the end may be closing in soon. I love The Flash because of the lighthearted feel it has, and I honestly feel like Arrow has more "CW Drama" to it than The Flash does.

I have enjoyed Supergirl so far, but really didn't expect much going in. I love the actress playing Kara and dig the awkward/nerdy girl who is also a super-powered badass. The Superman-ish storylines haven't bothered me.

I also enjoyed the hell out of Smallville, though. I have never been a huge Superman fan, and have always held that the most interesting aspect of Superman is Clark Kent. Coupled with that and realizing partway through that it was a reimagining, not a retelling of the Superman story, I was good with it.

My favorite part of all 3 of these TV shows is that they are DC characters that I never really read much of growing up. For me it was mostly Marvel (Spider-Man & X-Men mostly) and Batman comics. So they are characters I've always been aware of, but never been really into, so no matter how they're represented on TV, it won't feel like it's betraying the source to me and I can just enjoy it.

Ornsack

Post by Ornsack » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Chad Peter wrote:Started watching Walking Dead last week, after being diagnosed with Mono and stuck at home. Already on Season 4. It's not the greatest show by any means, but it has been enjoyable.
Same. Started watching it last week and will be on season 5 by tomorrow. Not a masterpiece but great fun! Feels like it's getting a bit slow though.

Cory

Post by Cory » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Started watching The Magicians (because I really need another series to get into...fml). I don't hate it so far. It definitely feels like its intended as Harry Potter for college kids. The magic isn't very well defined and appears to have no real limitations so far, which I don't like. Also they've already done the "none of this is real, you actually imagined it and are in an insane asylum" trope, which I thought was usually reserved for later seasons of (at least somewhat) successful sci-fi shows. I'm at least willing to give it a few more episodes to see where it goes.

The Shannara Chronicles baffles me. One minute it's gorgeous and seems like a good lighthearted fantasy show to counter-balance the dark and gritty GoT, the next they're using phrases like "sloppy seconds" and others that seem thrown in just to cater to the current MTV viewer. I have a feeling that if I had ever read a Terry Brooks novel, I'd hate this adaptation a lot. But I haven't read any of the Shannara books, and it is pretty. This one might fall into the guilty pleasure category. People will probably look down on me for enjoying it, but I can live with that.

Most recent episode of The Flash felt like The Flash meets Fringe. I loved Fringe. I'm really enjoying The Flash.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:10 pm

haha, Cory. I've actually been watching Shannara and admit - it is a guilty pleasure. I know it's bad, and yet I can't stop watching. Well, actually I'm not sure it's bad - the production design and WORLD building has been pretty amazing. Acting is B-level, gorgeousness of the actors is thru the roof, dialogue is like something on MTV, and VFX are incredible. If it survives into a season 2, I can imagine the writing will get significantly better, if they realize what they have. I can't help but love the fact that you'll be watching an elf and a human run from a demon one moment, and the next they've fallen through a hole and landed in a high school gymnasium, because, duh, this takes place AFTER modern civilization. Pretty cool to see.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:25 am

So the wife was all "Let's watch The X-files" and I was all "Ok, Chad said they were doing new ones" but she was all "Oh no, I've not seen all the old ones yet"

So we're almost through season 1. Someone just got killed by what I'm pretty sure was CC Particle World :)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Faldor wrote:So the wife was all "Let's watch The X-files" and I was all "Ok, Chad said they were doing new ones" but she was all "Oh no, I've not seen all the old ones yet"

So we're almost through season 1. Someone just got killed by what I'm pretty sure was CC Particle World :)
LMAO. Good luck. I'm still only halfway through season 2 after coming to a screeching halt. SO MANY YEARS left to go until I'm able to watch the new series.