The "I just watched a movie" thread

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: The "I just watched a movie" thread

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:19 am

Nic wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm
Caught Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets so the rest of you don't have to. Trust me on this.
Hmmm... Damn. (will probably walk into the fire anyway, because I'm a lemming)

Nic

Post by Nic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:19 am
Nic wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm
Caught Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets so the rest of you don't have to. Trust me on this.
Hmmm... Damn. (will probably walk into the fire anyway, because I'm a lemming)

Here's the thing: The movie sucks big time. The plot is incoherent, the two leads have no chemistry, and they try to make Dane Dehaan out to be some kind of studly heartbreaker type, but in reality he's got the physique of a 12 year-old girl and just doesn't have that "manly" persona that the film thinks he does. His performance is fine, as is Cara Delevigne's, but there's nothing for them to do except go through the motions.

Here's the real downer though. The film is gorgeous, but if you've seen the trailers, you've LITERALLY seen ALL of the eye-candy visuals. ALL of them. You could read a synopsis of the film, watch the trailers, and basically say you've seen it.

Grant

Post by Grant » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 am

Ah shit, I was really hyped for this. How does it rate next to The Fifth Element ?

Nic

Post by Nic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:13 am

Grant wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 am
Ah shit, I was really hyped for this. How does it rate next to The Fifth Element ?
If 5th Element is an 8 out of 10, Valerian is a 4. There's really nothing memorable about it. 5th Element had Bruce and Milla, but Valerian doesn't have anything close to that in Dane and Cara. Visually, it's pretty stunning, but like I said, you literally won't see anything that you haven't already seen in the trailers.

There are some pretty neat concepts. The whole opening segment, where they show various nations meeting together in space and sharing a handshake, which extends further throughout time as the ISS becomes Alpha and the tradition is carried on with alien races is really well-done and thoughtful. There's a whole marketplace which exists in another dimension, and that concept was cool. Overall though, the film was just a miss.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 am

I finally got around to "Moonlight" and want to make some notes, as I suspect I'll want to discuss these topics when I do my annual "Oscar-winning movies I watched this year" post.

I liked how it bent some rules of Hollywood storytelling. It's almost three smaller films in one than it is one movie. (The third segment in particular could function as a standalone short film all by itself.) And the protagonist is not what we would call an active character. For most of the movie, things happen to him rather than him taking action. (In the first segment, where Chiron is a child, I was reminded of a recent favorite of mine, "What Maisie Knew", about a little girl being acted upon by the sins of the parents; little kid characters in realistic movies ain't gonna have much power, are they.)

It's a movie about moments rather than what we might think of as an Oscarbait 'issues' movie. You're not going to get, I don't know, the big stirring speech with soaring music. The movie puts its characters there living largely quiet lives and makes you come to it.

I liked the occasional flourishes of a long moving take where the camera sort of weaved around and through a scene.

I was very impressed with Naomie Harris. I've considered her someone worth watching since "Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story", and it's nice that the Bond movies gave her more exposure and such, but this is a damn good role well-played in a subtle fashion.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:32 am

Adam Bertocci wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 am
I was very impressed with Naomie Harris. I've considered her someone worth watching since "Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story"
She'll always be that bird from "28 Days Later" ;)

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:00 am

Faldor wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:32 am
She'll always be that bird from "28 Days Later" ;)
You know, I never saw that.

Lank

Post by Lank » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:46 pm

ATOMIC BLONDE

Meh. Heavy on plot, light on story. Tried so hard to be stylish but didn't earn it. Theron's English accent was shit.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:36 am

Lank wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:46 pm
n't earn it. Theron's English accent was shit.
Ya wot Guv?! :twisted:

Lank

Post by Lank » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm

VALERIAN AND THE BLAH BLAH

Oof yeah this sucked. It literally felt like a three-hour-long movie and was blown away to realize only two hours and ten minutes had passed. Some fun world-building but they just kept throwing new concepts at you until nearly the very end -- too much.
It's also clear that Besson, the writer, doesn't speak English as a first language.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:47 am

Saw a film from a few years back called "Don't Think Twice" about a group of Improv comedians in their thirties dealing with the fall out from one of the group getting a bit of success.

Really enjoyed it because whilst it was a good drama the scenes of where the group perform comedy was actually funny and it really got the tone right. Kinda felt like the sort of indie flick that one of you guys might have made. But in a good way!

Lank

Post by Lank » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:45 pm

One of my favorite movies from last year!

Lank

Post by Lank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:29 am

COLUMBUS. Strange movie. Pretentious as hell. The way the actors were directed and the random cutaways made it feel like watching an anime.
But I still dug it.

WIND RIVER. Holy geez! This was pretty great. Recommended.