The "I just watched a movie" thread

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: The "I just watched a movie" thread

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Never even heard of that one, Adam. I'll have to check it out - UNC has a decent record with churning out good filmmakers and crew.

Lank

Post by Lank » Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 pm

DISNEY'S MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOLUME 2

It was okay. Coulda pulled back a bit in the jokes and the spectacle. Totally lacked momentum. But also the most emotional of any Marvel film so far.
Overall I'd put this in the lower half of their library.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 am

Lank wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 pm
Really? I thought it was one of the better ones.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am

Faldor wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 am
Lank wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 pm
Really? I thought it was one of the better ones.
Meh, it was Ironman 2 level for me.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am
No need for that kind of language!

Nic

Post by Nic » Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am

... Which was still light years better than Iron Man 3, so there's that.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon May 15, 2017 6:34 am

I watched 'Their Finest' yesterday. It is set in 1940 and follows Gemma Arterton as a young writer brought in to work for the Ministry Of Information to write a propaganda film about the evacuation of Dunkirk. It's a nice character piece with a great role for Bill Nighy.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon May 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Faldor wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:34 am
I watched 'Their Finest' yesterday. It is set in 1940 and follows Gemma Arterton as a young writer brought in to work for the Ministry Of Information to write a propaganda film about the evacuation of Dunkirk. It's a nice character piece with a great role for Bill Nighy.
Cool, good to hear. Dating a Brit I need to know these things.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon May 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:50 pm
Dating a Brit I need to know these things.
Oh are you? You hadn't mentioned it. :P

Lank

Post by Lank » Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 am

SLEIGHT

Not bad. Did a decent job of hiding its low budget. Better performances could've saved the weak dialogue, or vice versa, but nothing terrible. Ummmmm yeah it was okay. B.

Lank

Post by Lank » Sun May 21, 2017 7:21 pm

I really enjoyed COLOSSAL!
Well acted. And for whatever reason I was really into the blocking and camera staging. Wasn't anything unique, but just solid.

However...

SPOILERISH

I really didn't like the way the antagonist was defeated. Even though he was a dick, he was someone who was obviously in pain and in need of support. To be killed in the way he was felt wrong. I think when you have such a villain you can still have them die but it has to be their own fault, not the hero's. First example I thought of was (sigh) the Final Fantasy movie.

Still very much worth seeing though!!

Lank

Post by Lank » Sun May 21, 2017 7:28 pm

ALIEN COVENANT

I don't know if I liked it, and I'm not sure it was a good movie, but I appreciated the hell out of so many choices. Here you have probably a $200 million budget for a film in one of the most beloved franchises of all time, and it manages to have some unique images and take some very bold decisions. Maybe not bold for an "Alien" movie, but bold for a big blockbuster. I was into the weird shit. Since the series isn't as dear to me as it is to others, maybe I enjoyed all that stuff more than I would've.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon May 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Generally agreed on the Alien review. Still letting it simmer. I will say this: I loved the score (with one glaring exception... that stupid "cabin by the lake" sadness theme. That shit didn't belong in an Alien film.)

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Yesterday we watched the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie. "Salazar's Revenge" or as it is known in the colonies "Dead Men Tell No Tales" (Why have studios taken to renaming films for different territories?

When the original "Curse Of The Black Pearl" came out I was 18 and in a proper film snob phase, I was too cool to watch Spielberg's "Catch Me If You Can", I wasn't about to see a movie based on a rollercoaster! I went to the arty cinema and watched films in French about chickens being decapitated. (Caché 2005). But then a friend insisted that this Pirate film was actually really good and they don't go on a single rollercoaster. So I gave it watch and loved every single minute of it. I did something I'd never done before. I watched it again the next day, this time with my Mum who also loved it so much so that we went to watch the sequel together.

I hated "Dead Man's Chest" It took everything that had worked in the first film and did the opposite. The biggest mistake was taking Jack from the side kick to protagonist just because he had become a pop cultural icon.

By the time "At World's End" rolled around I'd lost all interest. I watched a dodgy copy and chortled at the irony. However when I first met Mrs Faldor she told me how much she loved all the films and we ended up watching them again. I was surprised with how much I enjoyed the third film. Overly long? Yes. Too many plots and characters double crossing each other? Sure. That weird After Life scene with all the Jacks? Wtf. But it works for the most part. It's starts it middles and then it ends.

To this day I am confused as to why the second film was generally accepted as a decent enough follow up and the third was considered a crime against cinema?
I even enjoyed the fourth film. It's a bit of a run of the mill adventure film but I liked it. The people who say it's a bad film are the kind of people who have never seen National Treasure: Book Of Secrets.

So Yeah, I rather enjoyed Salazar's Revenge. It's a bit formulaic with a lot of the same elements we've seen before but did a better job than "On Stranger Tides" at introducing new characters that you somewhat care about.
I thought that bringing back Barbossa for the third film was a very tired plot device used cheaply in lieu of an emotional moment. However Geoffrey Rush is just so damn good at Geoffrey Rushing that I can't help but enjoy his presence here again.
Javier Bardem does a decent enough job at the titular Salazar, there isn't much for him to go on but a sequence not unlike River Phoenix in Last Crusade ties him to Jack which makes for a stronger film.

Whilst it’s not going to change anyones mind who hasn’t enjoyed the other films in the series, I must say they throw enough money at these things that they look like a world that the viewer could get lost in rather than something that only holds together long enough for the film to happen. The action is as good as always, Jack’s introduction involves a bank robbery unlike any I’d seen before. It’s formulaic but nicely done.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:03 pm

I quite enjoyed "At World's End" - much more than the stupid 2nd movie.

Wonder Woman - Decent, but the horrible VFX kind of ruined it for me. Like - They were fucking terrible. The movie otherwise was decent, albeit contrived. The entire 2nd act is pretty fantastic. 1st act is nothing new. 3rd act was... okay. Gal Gadot is just awesome. Really excited to see more of this franchise.

Nic

Post by Nic » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:47 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:03 pm
I quite enjoyed "At World's End" - much more than the stupid 2nd movie.

Wonder Woman - Decent, but the horrible VFX kind of ruined it for me. Like - They were fucking terrible. The movie otherwise was decent, albeit contrived. The entire 2nd act is pretty fantastic. 1st act is nothing new. 3rd act was... okay. Gal Gadot is just awesome. Really excited to see more of this franchise.
There were definitely some poor visual effects, but overall I didn't think it was THAT bad. A noticeable one for me is the shot of her putting the tank down after she decides not to smoosh the good doctor. It looked awkward. A couple of the action scenes had some obvious digital doubles too.

I agree with the second act assessment. The whole sequence where she charges through a battlefield and takes the town in enemy territory was SPECTACULAR. Especially when that pretty kick-ass soundtrack kicked in. It was one of those "fist pumping" moments that are so rare these days in the movies.

I do want to point out that the whole movie had a better story and better writing, pacing, and acting than any other DC movie to this point. The third act had Snyder prints all over it though, and it could have been tightened up a lot. Still...

Props to Chris Pine though. He played that part perfectly. He doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Lank

Post by Lank » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:55 pm

I saw WONDER WOMAN and it cured my cancer and put man on the moon.

Lank

Post by Lank » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:22 am

Watched LIVE AND LET DIE today. Embarrassed to admit I've never actually seen any of the pre-Brosnan Bonds all the way through.
Was fun. Dated obviously but I'm usually capable of letting that stuff slide. Lots of action scenes that would've benefited by having music. Often I felt like I could imagine the screenwriters going, "Oh wouldn't it be fun to do this?" and not thinking too hard about the logic -- kind of endearing in an older film like this. Moore is a good Bond. Some nice production design. The final set piece felt very modern in that there were a ton of jokes and... random gags thrown in. Makes me wonder how long action movies had been doing it before this.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:36 am

If you enjoy Bond you should definitely go back and check out the Connery films.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:18 pm

"My Cousin Rachel"...

...what the hell did I just watch? Not great.