The "I just watched a movie" thread

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Lank

Re: The "I just watched a movie" thread

Post by Lank » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:29 am

ALLIED

Awesome! Even better than I thought it would be. Not gonna change the world, but a solid, solid picture.

THE LOVE WITCH

Very cool film. Every single piece was an impeccable recreation of the 60's style. Lighting, lens choice, camera movement, editing, acting, pacing. Really well done. I loved that it was self-aware but without being tongue-in-cheek and making fun of itself.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Lank wrote:ALLIED

Awesome! Even better than I thought it would be. Not gonna change the world, but a solid, solid picture.

THE LOVE WITCH

Very cool film. Every single piece was an impeccable recreation of the 60's style. Lighting, lens choice, camera movement, editing, acting, pacing. Really well done. I loved that it was self-aware but without being tongue-in-cheek and making fun of itself.
Can't wait to see The Love Witch. I believe it premiered at the same festival "Colorado" premiered at... Not that that means a goddamn thing, but hey... SQUIRREL

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 am

Saw JACKIE again. Still exceptional. Some of the "Jackie roams the room" stuff was a bit more tedious this go around, but the movie still gave me chills at times.

Lank

Post by Lank » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Saw EMPIRE OF THE SUN at Tarantino's theater.

Wasn't thrilled. Might've been that I was just in a weird mood. I dunno. Didn't do it for me.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:22 pm

Lank wrote:Saw EMPIRE OF THE SUN at Tarantino's theater.

Wasn't thrilled. Might've been that I was just in a weird mood. I dunno. Didn't do it for me.
It was always a solid B+ for me, but never anything more than that. I enjoyed it and appreciate the scope of it, but it's no Schindler's List.

Lank

Post by Lank » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Let's see...

I saw SILENCE. One of those movies where you kinda forget you're watching something that was put together by a group of people and get swept up in everything. Hard to judge on its merits in that way. But it was a hell of an experience. Very difficult to sit through. I recommend it though.

Also saw MULLHOLLAND DRIVE for first time on the big screen. Not really my thing but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I guess I need to see it again to begin to make sense of it, but that'll be a while. Think I got the jist of it though.

And SUNSET BLVD also for the first time. This was a total blast. Loved everything about it. Really impressed by how the dynamic of the two leads changes throughout the film.

Ben

Post by Ben » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Just saw The LEGO Batman movie and loved it. I think my girlfriend and I enjoyed it more than most of the kids in the theater.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:34 am

Ben wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:48 pm
Just saw The LEGO Batman movie and loved it. I think my girlfriend and I enjoyed it more than most of the kids in the theater.
Looking forward to seeing this.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:41 pm

Just watched Hackers (1995). Why do I do this to myself?
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 am

Haha... I ALMOST bought that blu ray just to do it on the podcast. I've never actually seen it.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 am
Haha... I ALMOST bought that blu ray just to do it on the podcast. I've never actually seen it.
Yeah, don't drop any cash on it. There's a metric shittonne of name drops and references to the NYC hacking scene as exemplified by 2600 Magazine in that era, so it's interesting from a historical perspective. You also get to see Angelina Jolie's tits before her boob job, so that's also interesting from a historical perspective.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 am

Saw "Diana" last night. Possibly better than I had expected. High expectations from all the people that either loved or hated Princess Diana seemingly destroyed this movie when it came out, but not knowing much of the story behind her life/death made it more enjoyable to watch.

Lank

Post by Lank » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:27 pm

JOHN WICK 2 - A lot of fun. About as good as the first one. I was glad that this film actually brought up some good questions but was annoyed they didn't try to answer any of them.

LEGO BATMAN - Pretty good! Though TBH the IP-crossovering left a bad taste in my mouth.

SPLIT - Liked it!

TONI ERDMANN - Liked it a lot. Pretty funny.

LION - Loved it!

20TH CENTURY WOMEN - Really loved it! Amazingly written characters. Wasn't a thing about it I didn't enjoy.

I haven't been working much if you can't tell.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:06 pm

LOGAN

Spectacular. Not at all like the typical Hollywood super hero movie. More of a character piece. Superb acting by everybody. Story was a little slow maybe, but it went where it needed to go. Being rated R helped a lot, because it didn't have to be watered down. Highly recommended.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Nic wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:06 pm
LOGAN

Spectacular. Not at all like the typical Hollywood super hero movie. More of a character piece. Superb acting by everybody. Story was a little slow maybe, but it went where it needed to go. Being rated R helped a lot, because it didn't have to be watered down. Highly recommended.
REALLY looking forward to this. Seeing it tonight... thoughts to follow! Been hearing from everyone that it's awesome.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 pm

LOGAN.

Uhm. Solid. I have trouble saying it's "GREAT" just yet, because I can't imagine it being good on a second viewing, but it had some pretty major Terminator 2 vibes.

Nic

Post by Nic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:20 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 pm
but it had some pretty major Terminator 2 vibes.
WTF? How on Earth did you get Terminator 2 out of that?

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Nic wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:20 am
Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 pm
but it had some pretty major Terminator 2 vibes.
WTF? How on Earth did you get Terminator 2 out of that?
Hmmm, I suppose some of this could be SPOILER SPEAK, but some similarities in:

a.) staying at an african american family's house and thusly wreaking havoc upon them.
b.) a child learning from an older, wisecracking lead male.
c.) a wisecracking lead male that has to fight against a similar, but superior, model of themselves.
d.) the lead male meeting his ultimate demise, fighting to save the child.
e.) dystopian settings

I dunno, just felt like I was watching a modern T2.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 am

I really enjoyed it, much better than probably half the other X-men movies, however, I did feel it could have done more in terms of world building beyond "...The other mutants died"

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Faldor wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 am
I really enjoyed it, much better than probably half the other X-men movies, however, I did feel it could have done more in terms of world building beyond "...The other mutants died"
This. I hadn't seen the previous film, so I had to make a lot of assumptions of everything that had happened in the years between the time travelling one and this.