The "I just watched a movie" thread

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Lank

Re: The "I just watched a movie" thread

Post by Lank » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Saw GOTG2 again. I liked it more this time. Its flaws weren't as glaring.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:52 am

Hurray!

Nic

Post by Nic » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:28 am

"Marky Mark Vs. the Space Robots"

God what an insane clusterfuck.

If you were to take bad writing, poor editing, loud explosions, the worst acting, the worst one-liners, completely flat and unfunny humor, racism, crude sexual humor, and some absolutely deadpan voice acting, put it in a blender, mix it all together, feed it to a sick farm llama with diarrhea, and then that farm llama shit it out all over a movie screen, you would pretty much have Transformers 5. Or 6. Or whatever the hell number it is.

Bad in every way.

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Nic wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:28 am
"Marky Mark Vs. the Space Robots"

God what an insane clusterfuck.

If you were to take bad writing, poor editing, loud explosions, the worst acting, the worst one-liners, completely flat and unfunny humor, racism, crude sexual humor, and some absolutely deadpan voice acting, put it in a blender, mix it all together, feed it to a sick farm llama with diarrhea, and then that farm llama shit it out all over a movie screen, you would pretty much have Transformers 5. Or 6. Or whatever the hell number it is.

Bad in every way.
These movies have been terrible since the awe of the transformation animation and the nostalgia of my youth wore off after the first movie.

That being said, I'll still watch it when it comes out on DVD. Just like every other horrible debacle I force myself to endure in cinema just to have witnessed it for myself.

Except the Twilight series, I still refuse to put myself through that. Just...no.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 am

You guys are crazy! I've not even seen movies that I want to see, let alone Transformers 12! Tell me your secrets - where do you find the time?!

Lank

Post by Lank » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Loved BABY DRIVER!
Jamie Foxx stole every scene he was in. I'd watch a whole movie just about him.
Lily James gave a subtle performance I thought was even better the second time viewing.
Kevin Spacey nailed it and really knows how to give a performance for cinema.
Ansel Elgort still should've been Han Solo. He even looked like him the way his jacket looked like a vest over a white shirt.

Go see it!

And here's some less obvious fun bits and foreshadowing I caught the second time:

*spoilers*

-The first place the crew hits is... The First Bank of Atlanta.
-The same crew wears skull bandanas over their faces. Later, they all die. (It's implied Jon Berenthal dies offscreen.)
-When arriving at the gun trade, the crew is stopped by a guard. The guard shines a flashlight into the car and checks everyone out... very much in the way a cop would do it after pulling someone over.
-When Doc finishes plotting out the Post Office job, Baby lets his toy car roll off the table and crash onto the floor.
-That pink, bedazzled iPod Baby pulls out came from a car he lifted years prior. Most of them probably are stolen.
-The mural on the diner wall Debora was framed against was also one of the postcards she sent Baby in prison.
-Debora talking about the Beck song. "It's not even about me." Makes me wonder if that's a reference to the Oedipus complex Baby has. It's not Debora that he really likes, it's more his mother that he's making her stand in for.

Feel like there was another good one I can't remember.

Lank

Post by Lank » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:24 am

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

I dunno. They did sooo many things right. And nailed the character. I just think it didn't all come together thematically. Or dramatically.

Nic

Post by Nic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:09 am

Spider-Man was pretty decent. Wonder Woman was better, but let's talk about Michael Keaton for a minute. That man is masterful. He managed to make a Marvel villain into someone you actually wanted to see onscreen. I mean, I felt for the guy. He had a real motivation to do the things he did, and Keaton played it beautifully. Props to Marvel for finally getting Spider-Man right, and props to Michael Keaton for knocking it out of the park.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Watched Wonder Woman, it was fine, don't quite get why people were acting like it was something new. Gadot and Pine are good and whilst the WWI setting was slightly different it was pretty much by the numbers.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Faldor wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm
Watched Wonder Woman, it was fine, don't quite get why people were acting like it was something new. Gadot and Pine are good and whilst the WWI setting was slightly different it was pretty much by the numbers.
Pretty much how I felt. Wonder Woman is one of my favorite characters, mostly because I have no personality and Superman was my fave growing up. And Lynda Carter was my first crush. I remember feel legit sadness when wonder woman showed up for Superman's funeral in the death of superman books.

Heiliger

Post by Heiliger » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am

I checked out The Void on Netflix. A very decent Lovecraftian horror movie with some bitchin' monsters. Felt a bit like they were making it up as they went along and a bit too much like Prince of Darkness, but it's still worth a watch. Lovecraft-inspired movies are hard enough to come by that I set my bar pretty low though... Anyone else interested in those should get a hold of The Resurrected - maybe I'll bring that in for a podcast.

Cory

Post by Cory » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Anyone know anything about The Big Sick?

Date night with the wife tomorrow and choices are: Spider-Man, The Big Sick, Wonder Woman, or Baby Driver
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Lank

Post by Lank » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Another BABY DRIVER foreshadowing:

Pretty sure when talking about Queen, Buddy tells Baby "C'mon, let's hear that killer track." Later, the same song is playing when Buddy is killed by Baby.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am

Heiliger wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am
I checked out The Void on Netflix. A very decent Lovecraftian horror movie with some bitchin' monsters. Felt a bit like they were making it up as they went along and a bit too much like Prince of Darkness, but it's still worth a watch. Lovecraft-inspired movies are hard enough to come by that I set my bar pretty low though... Anyone else interested in those should get a hold of The Resurrected - maybe I'll bring that in for a podcast.
I've heard of a movie called "The Void"...

*cries*

Also, I did want to see that...
Cory wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:13 pm
Anyone know anything about The Big Sick?

Date night with the wife tomorrow and choices are: Spider-Man, The Big Sick, Wonder Woman, or Baby Driver
I've heard Big Sick is fantastic.

War for the Planet of the Apes was pretty good, too. As was Spider man. And wonder woman.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:38 am

I've not seen any of the Plane Of The Apes films since that god awful James Franco one that everyone liked.

I love the original Charleton Heston film and to be honest every time they try and add something to it, it just takes something away.

Cory

Post by Cory » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:22 pm

We ended up seeing Baby Driver. I really enjoyed it. It was different from what I expected from the only trailer I saw for it, but in a good way. Odd combination of surreal and graphic, but it worked. The acting was great as well.

I really wanted to go see The Big Sick, but mostly just give it some ticket sales in southeast kansas...where I'm sure it's not making much among these backwards-ass rednecks. Maybe another time.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 am

Cory wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:22 pm
We ended up seeing Baby Driver. I really enjoyed it. It was different from what I expected from the only trailer I saw for it, but in a good way. Odd combination of surreal and graphic, but it worked. The acting was great as well.

I really wanted to go see The Big Sick, but mostly just give it some ticket sales in southeast kansas...where I'm sure it's not making much among these backwards-ass rednecks. Maybe another time.
Haha, fight the good fight, Cory! lol... Dammit, I still need to see Baby Driver. Valerian and Dunkirk coming right up!

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Just watched A Cure for Wellness. I was disappointed.

It had all of the elements of something I should've liked but didn't do anything new or inspired with them. We had everything figured out by the middle of the movie so the last half hour of the movie could have been reduced to about five minutes and improved the entirety of the movie as a whole. Really it lost all of the integrity previously built with the CGI skinless face reveal. Damn.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Dunkirk was both good and flawed. Some bad logic and felt small in scope. 400,000 troops on the beach, but it only looked like 5,000. Editing and sound were awesome, as were the dogfighting sequences.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Caught Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets so the rest of you don't have to. Trust me on this.