The "I just watched a movie" thread

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Faldor

Re: The "I just watched a movie" thread

Post by Faldor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 pm
This. I hadn't seen the previous film,
Actually, this film is completely stand alone. With hindsight Days Of Future Past may have worked out better if they had killed all the mutants to set this up.

Although it is hinted at whatever killed the X-men was Xavier's fault.

All the film really does to show that things have gone to pot is to have Wolverine be sulky, which face it, isn't he always? and that one family has problems with their water supply.

The girl playing Laura did a great job and it was great for Jackman to finally get a Wolverine film that wasn't second rate.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Faldor wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:47 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 pm
This. I hadn't seen the previous film,
Actually, this film is completely stand alone.
Huh. Weird. I kinda wondered if that was the case, but was like - nah, man... that's too ballsy. BUT, I guess if your plan is to clear out the old and bring in the new, well... This is one way to do it. Then again, it's not like this franchise has played out chronologically.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:06 pm

spoiler...

apparently, they had a scene either scripted or shot where Professor X has a psychic attack (like in the hotel scene) back at the School which basically killed everyone apart from Logan.

quite rightly they decided to leave it vague.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Faldor wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:06 pm
spoiler...

apparently, they had a scene either scripted or shot where Professor X has a psychic attack (like in the hotel scene) back at the School which basically killed everyone apart from Logan.

quite rightly they decided to leave it vague.
Yeah, that would have been awful.

Lank

Post by Lank » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 am

I hated LOGAN.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Lank wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 am
I hated LOGAN.
Okay.

Nic

Post by Nic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I had a friend that hated it too. He thought it was going to be a superhero movie, and was extremely disappointed that it wasn't.

Lank

Post by Lank » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:00 pm

KONG: SKULL ISLAND was a lot of fun.
If they had leaned just a liiiittle harder on character it would've been even better but alas. Vogt-Roberts is talented dude and one to watch.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 am

"When Harry Met Sally" at a local theater two nights ago. Still a fucking classic.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:27 pm

"Beauty and the Beast" (the live action one). Actually enjoyed the hell out of this, possibly more than the original.

Nic

Post by Nic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:48 am

I just can't with Emma Watson for some reason. I don't know why, but she creeps me out a little. I'm sure she's a wonderful person and whatnot, I just... I don't know how to explain it really. There's something... something about her.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:56 am

Nic wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:48 am
I just can't with Emma Watson for some reason. I don't know why, but she creeps me out a little. I'm sure she's a wonderful person and whatnot, I just... I don't know how to explain it really. There's something... something about her.
*holds back Mike*

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:10 pm

I don't really like these Disney remakes as they tend to stick quite close to the animated version which makes me wonder why they bother and being live action leaves a slightly uncanny valley feeling to it all.

Saying that Mrs Faldor loved it, and I did like the changes made at the end to everyone transforming. Dark!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:19 am

Enjoyed "T2 - Trainspotting 2" much more than I expected I would. Fun flick... enjoyed the throwback to 90's style filmmaking (not that Danny Boyle ever left that style behind).

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:45 pm

I attempted to watch "Ishtar" today.

It's not God-awful as its reputation suggests. It's just a bore. Elaine May is not in her wheelhouse and it shows. But if it hadn't cost so much, if the behind-the-scenes stories hadn't been so grand, it would have just been a forgotten, crummy movie.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:19 am
(not that Danny Boyle ever left that style behind).
I really dislike Danny Boyle, I watched Trainspotting in about 2004 and was not particularly impressed, and Sunshine seemed to be a film made purely to taunt me (and for some reasons tend to fap over it.)

Shame really, cos I really enjoyed 28 Days Later.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:19 am
(not that Danny Boyle ever left that style behind).
I really dislike Danny Boyle, I watched Trainspotting in about 2004 and was not particularly impressed, and Sunshine seemed to be a film made purely to taunt me (and for some reasons tend to fap over it.)

Shame really, cos I really enjoyed 28 Days Later.
How exactly doth one proclaimeth hatred for thy Boyle?

Cory

Post by Cory » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey, I found the forum again!

So, about Logan...I absolutely fucking LOVED it. Easily the best X-Men movie. It finally had the gritty/bloody/violent feel that a Wolverine movie deserves, but I also loved the story. It's the only comic book/superhero movie I've seen that actually made me cry (though admittedly, having kids makes you a huge puss about certain things, so it may not affect everyone the same way it did me).
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Lank

Post by Lank » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 am

GHOST IN THE SHELL sucked.
Never even got off the ground.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:30 pm

"In the Treetops" - copy-and-pasted from my Facebook post because I'm lazy

It ain't gonna be my top movie of the year or anything, but a fellow wants to get behind a good movie that's obscure. The fact that such a strong film was made by college students (UNC School of the Arts) is awfully impressive.

It's a "high school kids driving around all night" meets "mumblecore" sort of movie. It's short on plot and long on atmosphere and, yes, mumbling. It's raw in all the best ways. The performances feel incredibly real, and the handheld night shots comprising a good hour of the movie are beautiful without a Hollywood sheen. Writer-director-star Matthew Brown captures the feel of having nothing to do but sit around and talk in hushed tones at 3:30 AM, the oft-associated feel of stepping out into the next morning, dirty and groggy. And he makes the most of the fact that small towns and suburbs simply have places tailor-made for teens to go without anyone coming to bother them.

It's a low-key sort of movie. Even before a sad event creeps into the characters' lives, they are reflective more often than rambunctious. Similarly, the music stays out of the way, for the most part. The movie allows you to remember those long silences at night that come up when you're just sitting and talking. When you and the person beside you were the whole dang world.

A special shout-out is in order for one Emma Corley Geer, playing the role of The Girl In A Group Of Guy Friends. She doesn't have to push herself too hard to fit in—these guys aren't 'bros' or anything, hell, they're not even the wacky collection of clownshoes my high school guy friend group was—but she knows how she is seen, and how she isn't.