TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Lance

Re: TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:13 pm
Sounds like a legacy gamma issue or something. Sometimes if you save a quicktime, it will auto "fix" (break) the color and you have to go into the quicktime prefs to switch the color to "straight alpha".

https://vitrolite.wordpress.com/2010/12 ... gamma_bug/

This may not necessarily be the problem you're dealing with, but it's a fairly common one. Funny, because the linked article doesn't recommend using my fix for the problem.
Not quite the problem but good information. I'm testing a fix that I think is the problem. It seems that Nvidia graphics cards are set to "Limited 16-235" instead of "Full 0-255" in their video dynamic range settings by default. Which means the video looks great in Premier, which ignores system video settings, but like a hot steaming pile of poop in any other player. So I've been needlessly adjusting the video to make it look right while being lied to. I had started rendering out yet another H.264 that I had adjusted before learning this so we'll see if the problem is fixed at least...if so I get to go back and fix what I've fixed, again. Getting good practice though.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:40 pm
Looking forward to taking a look!
Soon, I hope.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Yep, that was the problem. I went back and re-worked it all back to what I had for the most part, re-rendered it, and slapped it up for Martin to dissect (Link and password PM'ed). That was a lot of needless frustration but now I know what to look for if it happens again.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Lance wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 pm
Yep, that was the problem. I went back and re-worked it all back to what I had for the most part, re-rendered it, and slapped it up for Martin to dissect (Link and password PM'ed). That was a lot of needless frustration but now I know what to look for if it happens again.
Nice! Wait, what was the problem?

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Nice! Wait, what was the problem?
It seems that Nvidia graphics cards are set to "Limited 16-235" instead of "Full 0-255" in their video dynamic range settings by default.Which means the video looks great in Premier, which ignores system video settings, but like a hot steaming pile of poop in any other player. So I've been needlessly adjusting the video to make it look right while being lied to. :lol:

Martin gave it a looksie and gave me some good feedback to work with. Or not, we'll see when I get the rest shot if it makes a difference with what I have (it almost certainly will).

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 am

Need any help pushing this thru to the finish line?

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 am
Need any help pushing this thru to the finish line?
At the moment I'm just waiting for the foliage to return to this neck of the woods (literally). When I initially wrote the script a year ago I had it set in mid to late spring/early summer for my outdoor shots because well, that's when I intended to shoot it. Then the roof re-build happened...Now the time is nearing again so I decided it's time to build a new shed :lol: . No worries, it's a kit shed so all I have to do is slap it together. In any case, I'm excitedly getting my shot list down so I don't miss any shots as I fully intend to get the shots more efficiently than I did with the indoor shots. I now have added two batteries to my kit for a total of three and am waiting on a ND filter. I think I've figured out what I want my titles to look like so I need to shoot that footage really quick. I may have some questions about what information I need to add in the titles and what should be saved for the credits, Otherwise I'm just biding my time. Thanks for keeping on me though.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Shot list ready, actors notified and waiting for time and location. Suitcase full of drugs and sex toys to get them in the mood sitting next to the door...

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Due to scheduling conflicts I will be shooting the rest of this in two or three outings. One with the minor role cast and one with the main character. The third would be any re-shooting necessary. Making movies is hard.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:26 pm
Shot list ready, actors notified and waiting for time and location. Suitcase full of drugs and sex toys to get them in the mood sitting next to the door...
This.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 pm
Making movies is hard.
Also, this.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Soon. I just nabbed myself a Manfrotto 3066 Fluid Head, 3068 Tripod, and a 3198 Video Dolly off of a police auction for dirt cheap. Now if I only had a jib, slider, decent lenses...

Anyway, the leaves are almost where they need to be on the trees and shrubs. Shooting will recommence soon.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:08 pm
Soon. I just nabbed myself a Manfrotto 3066 Fluid Head, 3068 Tripod, and a 3198 Video Dolly off of a police auction for dirt cheap. Now if I only had a jib, slider, decent lenses...

Anyway, the leaves are almost where they need to be on the trees and shrubs. Shooting will recommence soon.
Manfrotto 3066 Fluid Head. Worth its weight in GOLD. I love that tripod so much it hurts. Great find.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Manfrotto 3066 Fluid Head. Worth its weight in GOLD. I love that tripod so much it hurts. Great find.
I paid $195 after tax and shipping for the lot. :D

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Sounds like a top find!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue May 02, 2017 12:22 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm

I paid $195 after tax and shipping for the lot. :D
Excellent. Jolly good find, indeed.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Shot B roll and audio at one location today. Still trying to coordinate weather, work, and filming so (of course) I decided to start stripping the paint that was failing off of my house so I can repaint it. Don't worry, the house will take a backseat to any opportunities I have to get the footage I need to finish this short. Progress.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 am

Was that an old train track on the grounds where you posted photos from the other day? Looked like an old road or something under the greenery?

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu May 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 am
Was that an old train track on the grounds where you posted photos from the other day? Looked like an old road or something under the greenery?
Indeed it was. 120 years ago they built a rail way through the canyon to bring ore from the mines at Monte Cristo to the smelters in Everett. Unfortunately for them the area is prone to flooding and landslides so they eventually abandoned the railway. In one of the pictures you can see the sign that marks official end of the trail but if you continue on (at your own risk) you can navigate your way along the old rail line through the canyon to the old train tunnels. There are quite a few obstacles along the way from the many rock slides that have happened over the years so getting gear in there is going to be a chore but I think it'll be worth it. I'm going to give it a run with no gear (well, maybe just the camera and some filters) to see just how much of a chore because I really want to use the tunnels in a couple of shots, but I have alternate locations if there's just no way to get the equipment I need in there.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu May 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Lance wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 1:59 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 am
Indeed it was. 120 years ago they built a rail way through the canyon to bring ore from the mines at Monte Cristo to the smelters in Everett. Unfortunately for them the area is prone to flooding and landslides so they eventually abandoned the railway. In one of the pictures you can see the sign that marks official end of the trail but if you continue on (at your own risk) you can navigate your way along the old rail line through the canyon to the old train tunnels. There are quite a few obstacles along the way from the many rock slides that have happened over the years so getting gear in there is going to be a chore but I think it'll be worth it. I'm going to give it a run with no gear (well, maybe just the camera and some filters) to see just how much of a chore because I really want to use the tunnels in a couple of shots, but I have alternate locations if there's just no way to get the equipment I need in there.
Sounds awesome. Can't wait.