Podcasts...

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Podcasts...

Post by Chad Peter » Fri May 20, 2016 10:00 am

So now that Friends in Your Head is RIP and Nerdist only posts like one new podcast ever week now, I'm dying for some ear content while I work. I suppose I could go the audiobook route, but I'm sure I'd zone out from time to time.

Come at me - what should I be listening to?

Mike

Re: Podcasts...

Post by Mike » Fri May 20, 2016 2:20 pm

"In the Rabbit Hole Urban Survival Podcast" - https://www.intherabbithole.com/the-podcast/

A little gun-heavy for my taste but not at all "Tin Hat Crazy Bat" and focuses on realism, not Mad Max. Start with the beginning episodes.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri May 20, 2016 4:18 pm

The Extended Edition is kinda good ...it has me on it

http://www.extendededition.net/

:D

Cory

Post by Cory » Fri May 20, 2016 5:44 pm

I've never really done podcasts before, but I've been listening to Writing Excuses a lot lately. It's a 15 min cast once a week geared toward fiction writers (mostly sci-fi/fantasy) , so I don't know if anyone else here would even be interested, but lots of good writing advice. They're on season 11 now, but I'm only caught up to season 10 right now.
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri May 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Cory wrote:I've never really done podcasts before, but I've been listening to Writing Excuses a lot lately. It's a 15 min cast once a week geared toward fiction writers (mostly sci-fi/fantasy) , so I don't know if anyone else here would even be interested, but lots of good writing advice.
Very interested! Thanks!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat May 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Interesting. I'll have to check out a bit of each. My survivalist instincts in LA are an all-time-low. I kinda just figure that in case of emergency, I'm just fucked.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat May 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Chad Peter wrote:My survivalist instincts in LA are an all-time-low. I kinda just figure that in case of emergency, I'm just fucked.
Prepare to improve your quality of life for more likely scenarios. You can prepare for job loss. You can prepare for a power outage at work. You can prepare for an extended power outage at home. You can prepare for a boil order on municipal water supplies. You can prepare for being the first on scene at a vehicle rollover. You can prepare for a house fire. Instead of "prepare," think "land on your feet."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat May 21, 2016 5:25 pm

I imagine the possibility of world-enders facing Los Angeles look something like:

1.) Earthquake 7.0+
2.) Water? What's THAT.
3.) Riots for the hell of it.
4.) Oh, look, North Korea actual CAN fire a warhead over the Pacific. huh.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat May 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Chad Peter wrote:I imagine the possibility of world-enders facing Los Angeles look something like:

1.) Earthquake 7.0+
2.) Water? What's THAT.
3.) Riots for the hell of it.
4.) Oh, look, North Korea actual CAN fire a warhead over the Pacific. huh.
Small achievable goals, dude. Savings account. Eat better. Exercise. AAA membership.

"Don't worry about the end of the world, it's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Anyway. Podcast!

Ornsack

Post by Ornsack » Sun May 22, 2016 1:28 pm

I do like Nerdist but only seem to get in to it if the guest is someone I'm aware of. Chris Hardwick seems like a lovely guy but it seems to be the nature of the show rather than him and his guests driving it foremost. Similar to WTF podcast I guess.

Kermode and Mayo is a fun movie-based podcast that many people live by. It's a weekly BBC radio show at heart but the podcast is its own thing.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon May 23, 2016 1:47 pm

I really like John Augusts Scriptnotes podcast, talks about screen writing but doesn't often get bogged down in the usual same old stuff.

The Nerdist Writers Panel used to be great when they would get panels of 5 or so TV writers from different shows and talk craft, now they tend to do one on one interviews which is good if you are familiar with that writer.

Start Up follows a guy starting up a podcasting business, surprisingly listenable

NathanM

Post by NathanM » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am

The new question is how can we get Friends in your Head back on the air? lol

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:18 pm

NathanM

Post by NathanM » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:15 am

Aaaaaand this is why we love you.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:48 am

I'm just happy to be doing good work :)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:56 pm

I still need to listen to YOUR DAMN PODCAST.

Perhaps I'll start this week. Where should I start?

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:29 am

I'd say start with the Star Wars commentaries, the early shows took us a while to find our feet. We're getting a couple of hundred per of listeners per episode which is not lots by podcast standards but it's more than I ever thought we'd get.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:53 am

So, uhhh, Mark Heiliger and I started a podcast. We're three episodes in. As if the world needed another movie podcast. I'll post here when the time comes (very SOON), but the idea is pretty simple. We pick a movie. Start the podcast with our expectations of what the movie is/will be (so far usually one of us has seen it and the other is coming in fresh). We watch the movie WITHOUT you. Then we come back and talk about what we just saw. Episodes have gone for about 45 minutes thus far. We plan on having guests and the like, etc, in the future. Our focus has been on lesser-known films, but I'm sure we'll tackle other, larger, films in the future.

If you'd like to know what movies we're tackling, our first three episodes are:
1.) "Monsters" (2010) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/combined (releasing in time for "Rogue One")
2.) "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains" (1982) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082639/combined
3.) "Runaway" (1984) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088024/combined

Good luck finding some of these... lol and hey... I didn't say they'd all be good movies, but if we picked it, there's probably something unique about it.

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Well, I'm really enjoying The West Wing Weekly, but that's likely because I like The West Wing.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:31 am

Chad Peter wrote:So, uhhh, Mark Heiliger and I started a podcast.
You suck at promotion Chad! (Probably why no one saw Apocalypse, Delaware or whatever that stupid movie was)

1) post a link whenever you mention it
2) talk about things people have actually heard of, SEO and all that. ;)

It sounds great mind I want to subscribe to it NOW!
Ben wrote:Well, I'm really enjoying The West Wing Weekly
It's good, isn't it! Someone pointed it out to me when they got Aaron Sorkin on.

Chad, can you get Aaron Sorkin on??