TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

Contains all threads pertaining to the ongoing '2k Studio Fest
Chad Peter
Site Admin

TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:10 pm

TEAM 3

writer - Faldor
director - Lance
editor - Owen Ward

Team Cheerleader: Fig

Fig

Re: TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

Post by Fig » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Okay, gents.

Impress me.

Owen Ward

Post by Owen Ward » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Hey team, let's make some magic!

I don't think I've met you before, Lance. Unless you're an old TFNer from back in the day, in which case I'll have my usual 'Holy shit, that was you?!' reaction I always do.

To try and get the ball rolling...

@Faldor - What are some general ideas/themes you're keen on writing about? Any particular strengths or weaknesses that we should tailor this around?

@Lance - What do you have access to in regards to actors, props & locations? And again, any particular strengths or weaknesses that we should tailor this around?

Let's do this!

EDIT: Our prime directive is to impress Fig. I suggest a musical about a balloon animals struggles with an Arduino.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:59 pm

Owen Ward wrote:Hey team, let's make some magic!

I don't think I've met you before, Lance. Unless you're an old TFNer from back in the day, in which case I'll have my usual 'Holy shit, that was you?!' reaction I always do.

To try and get the ball rolling...

@Faldor - What are some general ideas/themes you're keen on writing about? Any particular strengths or weaknesses that we should tailor this around?

@Lance - What do you have access to in regards to actors, props & locations? And again, any particular strengths or weaknesses that we should tailor this around?

Let's do this!

EDIT: Our prime directive is to impress Fig. I suggest a musical about a balloon animals struggles with an Arduino.
I went by Omen on the old NP2K and I think I remember seeing you around, maybe. In any case, nice to make your aquaintance Owen.

Here's what I've got:
Near zero budget. A camera that can shoot avchd 1080p 60fps. Working on aquiring a zoom h4n or equivalent and a shotgun microphone. Actors will be untrained and forced at gunpoint to participate but I know a lot of people. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area) so I'm within driving distance to every type of terrain from big city to desert (plenty of woods, mountains, non-tropical island). I've been a professional tattooer for 20 years so I have many many avenues to venture down when I comes to resources, we just need to figure out the direction(s) that need to be explored to make this happen. I'm not above guerilla filming if necessary;) I have little to no experience setting up shots outside of skateboard videos but I have some ideas and have been studying hard just for this opportunity.
I also love movies in general so I'm up for just about any genre aside from romantic drama, unless the script is beyond awesome.

I have three threads I'm trying to figure out how to respond to so, I'm excited to work with you guys and hope I can overcome my unusual feeling of inadequacy I seem to have picked up.

Faldor- what story should we tell?

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:14 pm

@Owen- What works for you as far as file format? We'll need to talk about how to get them to you as well, when we get to that point.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 am

Lance wrote:Working on aquiring a zoom h4n or equivalent and a shotgun microphone.
You could get by with a H1 and a rode video mic. Which will be much cheaper.

Do you have any idea who you might be able to get to act? that will help shape any potential story.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:13 am

Faldor wrote:
Do you have any idea who you might be able to get to act? that will help shape any potential story.
I'll feel out my potential talent pool today to figure out who will be reliable and willing without knowing what direction the story will go, but I know a wide range of people (looks, personalities, lifestyles, ages, ect.) that, I'm hoping, I can rely on. Subculture would be an easy swing (heavily tattooed/pierced, skaters, stoners, artists, biker types are a possibility...maybe) but I can go business professional, computer programmer shiek, hipster, retired, salt of the earth, so on. I'll see who's serious and get back to you tonight.

Less is more, I'm ambitious and inginuitive, but I have never done this before.

Owen Ward

Post by Owen Ward » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:07 am

Lance wrote:@Owen- What works for you as far as file format? We'll need to talk about how to get them to you as well, when we get to that point.
I should be able to handle any format you throw at me. But it might be best to send me some random test footage, so we can tell early on if there are gonna be any problems we need to deal with.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Owen Ward wrote: I should be able to handle any format you throw at me. But it might be best to send me some random test footage, so we can tell early on if there are gonna be any problems we need to deal with.
I'll PM you.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Update: Martin and I have gone over script ideas so the ball is rolling. (*SPOILER ALERT!) We're going to do a thing. Some stuff will happen. Then there will be an ending.

Oh, and Fig hit me with a dead hooker, Is he allowed to do that? Said it was standard protocol...

Fig

Post by Fig » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Yeah. It's called "cheerleading."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Well, it's a start!

Owen Ward

Post by Owen Ward » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:16 pm

We're too cool for screenshots.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Fig wrote:Yeah. It's called "cheerleading."
Oh, I didn't know she was a cheerleader, It's cool then. I retract my previous tattle.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Lance wrote:
Fig wrote:Yeah. It's called "cheerleading."
Oh, I didn't know she was a cheerleader, It's cool then. I retract my previous tattle.
Rah rah, kick em in the _______!

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Okay, so my camera only shoots at 60fps in avchd 1080p mode which is fine and dandy for my little skate videos that I've been playing with but not so much for this festival. I looked for a work around to get the 60fps down to 24fps in Premiere without it dropping out a good portion of the frames turning it into a 1080pieceofcrap but couldn't find any info on how to go about it unless I wanted to do an entire short in slow-mo. After a day and a half of rendering clips I think I have something. Seems simple now, I've tried it on a bunch of clips with the same result so I thought I'd share, mostly for Owen who will be editing my nightmares into reality, but just in case any one else needs the info or wants to try it out.

So I open a new project as usual set for avchd 1080p60, find my media clips and pull them in to my project bin.
Right click the clip in the bin> Modify> Interpret Footage> Assume this Frame Rate> 24fps <--(Just like you want to make it slow-mo)
File> New> Sequence>
Sequence Presets > AVCHD> 1080p> AVCHD 1080p60 (this gives you the proper options in the settings tab)
Settings Tab>
Editing Mode = Custom
Timebase = 24fps
Frame Size = 1920 Horizontal x 816 Vertical <--(changing the Vert. from 1080 to 816 gives the anamorphic black bars top and bottom, optional)
Pixel Aspect Ratio =Square Pixels
Hit ok
Pull interpreted clips from bin into new sequence> Right Click on clip in sequence> Speed/Duration> 240%

This seems to get it back to normal speed at 24fps with results like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcJikIeNVKc
I haven't tried to sync audio to it yet though so...there's that. It seems like a lot of steps until you do it. If any one knows a better way and would care to share please do. I can't afford a new camera at the moment.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Oh yeah, when you drag the interpreted clips into the new sequence It will say the clip doesn't match the new settings and ask if you want it to change the sequence to match the clip's settings. Choose keep existing settings.

Owen Ward

Post by Owen Ward » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Looks fine to me, nice work!

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Owen Ward wrote:Looks fine to me, nice work!
Thanks man, I'm just looking for a way to make this work with what I have. I'm assuming then that you'll have no problem on your end with this? I know some of the test footage I sent you was panned a bit too fast so It doesn't make the best sample. Let me know if you'd like some better shot footage to mess around with. I'm not expecting you to be able to work miracles with my first attempt to shoot a movie short (on a camera that was clearly not meant to) but if there's anything I can do on my end that would help you during post to make this not look like a home video just let me know. I am actually going to be building a rig for my camera, kind of like a mini boom on wheels, that should open some cool possibilities for stable shots.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Okay so, update: We have a preliminary script with the concept that we're going for, just needs some ironing out. It's going to be psychological/horror (of course) I'm going to be shooting outdoors for the most part, taking in the scenery. I'm going to try to get out and scout a few locations here soon so I can give Martin view of the landscape, maybe get some B roll (ooh, saying that makes me sound like I know what the fuck I'm doing...B roll). I have props too.