TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

Contains all threads pertaining to the ongoing '2k Studio Fest
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:02 pm

haha, does that make the rest of us a part of the service industry?

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:17 pm

I...I'm not sure where to go with that so just imagine me staring at you awkwardly for like two minutes saying nothing.

*prepares to dine and dash.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:33 pm

Of the footage I have, my cuts are all in their rightful places, tidied up, framed up, added subtle motions and such. I'm working on audio and scoring, then onto color correction and figuring out my titles. I really just want to go out and shoot the rest of this but the weather and season turned on me. At least half of the short will be essentially done while I'm waiting to shoot the other half.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:50 am

Top work Lance! Let me know if you want someone to look over it?

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Faldor wrote:Top work Lance! Let me know if you want someone to look over it?
A critical eye would be appreciated. Once I get the audio and color correcting sorted out I'll send you a link.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:21 pm

Scrapped the first color correcting method and started over with a different method that looks much better in my opinion. I'm happy with the way it looks at least. Learning as I go...

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Lance wrote:Scrapped the first color correcting method and started over with a different method that looks much better in my opinion. I'm happy with the way it looks at least. Learning as I go...
Cool. Best way to do it... fail as you go and fix and learn and fix...

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:13 am

I *hate* colour grading, I just get Owen Ward to do it.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Chad Peter wrote:Cool. Best way to do it... fail as you go and fix and learn and fix...
I suppose it's also normal to both love and hate the project simultaneously while working on it then? I'm not expecting to be able to enter it into Sundance or anything but I'm trying my best to make it at least entertaining to watch for 10 min.
Faldor wrote:I *hate* colour grading, I just get Owen Ward to do it.
Oh I haven't even started grading, just matching shots and correcting my lack of setting white balance properly. Maybe a slight grade but nothing like a teal and amber overhaul. Grading will the last step once I have all of the footage I haven't even shot yet sorted.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Lance wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:Cool. Best way to do it... fail as you go and fix and learn and fix...
I suppose it's also normal to both love and hate the project simultaneously while working on it then? I'm not expecting to be able to enter it into Sundance or anything but I'm trying my best to make it at least entertaining to watch for 10 min.
Oh, without a doubt. Usually it's a 60/40 split (love/hate) until you release it, and then it moves to 20/80... before gradually working it's way back to 50/50. Only thing I've felt that's changed over time, is that, with each new project, I feel like I like the project +1/-1 more than the last one.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:48 am

and then 10 years later you'll find the bits you hate are your favourite because you just feel nostalgic for the whole process :D

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Haven't updated in a while, just building the anticipation and such. The video that has been shot is essentially done with editing aside from my constantly tweaking this and that. Audio is still in progress. The score for these edits are in place, as well as most of the sound effects, but there is still much to do on those ends. Titles too, gonna' need those. All in all I'm happy with how it's come together so far, it doesn't look like crap. For someone who's never done this before, didn't fully realize just what goes into making a short film, working with the bare minimum equipment, no budget, and battling a fuck-ton of setbacks that have postponed production, I am pleasantly relieved, eager to continue, and optimistic of the outcome.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Lance wrote:Haven't updated in a while, just building the anticipation and such. The video that has been shot is essentially done with editing aside from my constantly tweaking this and that. Audio is still in progress. The score for these edits are in place, as well as most of the sound effects, but there is still much to do on those ends. Titles too, gonna' need those. All in all I'm happy with how it's come together so far, it doesn't look like crap. For someone who's never done this before, didn't fully realize just what goes into making a short film, working with the bare minimum equipment, no budget, and battling a fuck-ton of setbacks that have postponed production, I am pleasantly relieved, eager to continue, and optimistic of the outcome.
Proud of you, dude. Way to take that crazy leap of faith and push through. Getting a film up off the ground is hard enough. Finishing it is another thing entirely. Looking forward to it.

Lank

Post by Lank » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Lance wrote:Haven't updated in a while, just building the anticipation and such. The video that has been shot is essentially done with editing aside from my constantly tweaking this and that. Audio is still in progress. The score for these edits are in place, as well as most of the sound effects, but there is still much to do on those ends. Titles too, gonna' need those. All in all I'm happy with how it's come together so far, it doesn't look like crap. For someone who's never done this before, didn't fully realize just what goes into making a short film, working with the bare minimum equipment, no budget, and battling a fuck-ton of setbacks that have postponed production, I am pleasantly relieved, eager to continue, and optimistic of the outcome.
Nice! Keep at it!!
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Titles too, gonna' need those.
I do this a lot if you need a guy. adam.bertocci at gmail

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Adam Bertocci wrote:
Awesome and appreciated, I'll let you know once I get to that point.

So, I went through what I had edited with the script and made some adjustments. Then, after watching it through a bunch more times, noticed some shots that looked right up my nose and made the hairs look like a nice big booger. Replaced those shots with ones I had from a slightly different angle. Then I rendered it out...the rendered video looked much lighter than what I had in Premier so I altered it side by side to get the atmosphere I was going for and re-rendered. It's now uploaded to Vimeo (password protected) but looks much darker than I was going for after watching it on different devices so...I think I need to go back and put it back where I had it. That's where I'm at. There's one jarring edit among the newly replaced footage that I will need to finesse and some parts that are up in the air on whether or not they will be necessary in the end, but that decision will be made in the final cut. Still working on audio.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:58 am

Lance wrote:
Adam Bertocci wrote:
Awesome and appreciated, I'll let you know once I get to that point.

So, I went through what I had edited with the script and made some adjustments. Then, after watching it through a bunch more times, noticed some shots that looked right up my nose and made the hairs look like a nice big booger. Replaced those shots with ones I had from a slightly different angle. Then I rendered it out...the rendered video looked much lighter than what I had in Premier so I altered it side by side to get the atmosphere I was going for and re-rendered. It's now uploaded to Vimeo (password protected) but looks much darker than I was going for after watching it on different devices so...I think I need to go back and put it back where I had it. That's where I'm at. There's one jarring edit among the newly replaced footage that I will need to finesse and some parts that are up in the air on whether or not they will be necessary in the end, but that decision will be made in the final cut. Still working on audio.
Ah yes, the dreaded color problem. To this day, I still struggle with shifting color in my videos. Is this the sort of problem that, when you play the video, the color dramatically lightens when you hit play? Or is it just straight up darker and/or lighter?

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Chad Peter wrote: Ah yes, the dreaded color problem. To this day, I still struggle with shifting color in my videos. Is this the sort of problem that, when you play the video, the color dramatically lightens when you hit play? Or is it just straight up darker and/or lighter?
Pretty sure the problem is I used windows media player to view the first render. Everything looked awesome in Premier, spent all this time correcting for my lack of setting white balance and getting the shots to match (using scopes). Then I watched it in windows media player and all of the blacks and mid tones were too light, lacked contrast, and looked over saturated. Instead of watching it through quicktime or VLC to double check, I just slapped WMP up and re-worked my settings in Premier (crushing blacks and dropping the mids w/ fast color correct). Rendered it again, still looked a little off but better so I uploaded it to Vimeo to be able to view it on different devices...yeah. I'm going back to where I had it before listening to media players lies and see what Vimeo and other devices thinks of that. I had pm'd a link to Matrin but nixed it because just, no.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Looking forward to taking a look!

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Sounds like a legacy gamma issue or something. Sometimes if you save a quicktime, it will auto "fix" (break) the color and you have to go into the quicktime prefs to switch the color to "straight alpha".

https://vitrolite.wordpress.com/2010/12 ... gamma_bug/

This may not necessarily be the problem you're dealing with, but it's a fairly common one. Funny, because the linked article doesn't recommend using my fix for the problem.