ITT: Faldor Quits The Day Job

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Cory

Re: ITT: Faldor Quits The Day Job

Post by Cory » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Lots of big news here...and all I can focus on is the fact that you brought back "ITT"...
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Cory

Post by Cory » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Well, shit, it looks like Chad has actually been using it, just actually writing it out. Who the fuck does that?
"Only take off the condom if you're doing a money shot." - Lank (I think?)

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 am

*slowly raises hand*

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:11 am

So it's been a couple of weeks, and I figured to I was overdue an update. When I first started this, one of the things I did was email all the other video companies in the area. And send them my personal portfolio. I dropped them all a message to say "hi I'm here I do this let me know if you never need a freelancer".

Apart from a few polite acknowledgement, I didn't hear anything back from this. Until a few weeks ago when I got a very promising email from one company the needed some editing and graphics done. With the promise of lots more down the road. The whole thing turned into a bit of a disaster when the client didn't give enough information to do the job. Then they got annoyed at me. Apparently, the usual guy didn't need as much clarification. So I don't think I'll be seeing any more work from them.

Other than that, things are going pretty well. I was contacted last week by a fashion start-up for a logo design which I should put together in a day. They wanted their name written in lipstick. I managed to find a nice handwritten style font called yellowtail. This worked quite nicely. But getting the lipstick texture took a bit of trial and error. I ended up getting a stock image of chalk which I could use as a luma matte to get the appearance of cracking in the text. This was after getting some very strange looks from my wife. After she caught me rubbing lipstick across paper as a reference point.

I've also been contacted by a short film group who I've been working with on and off for a couple of years. They will be making a fan film and want to hire me for a few days next month to do some visual effects.

So things are going okay. I'm not doing anything crazily successful but I'm making the rent and if I can keep that going and more than happy. I've now got a website live www.mousebot.co.uk and I'm still working on that. I've got a half-dozen blog posts planned out and will be building out more pages as I go. I've also got the services of a copy editor to go over everything. In exchange for doing some design work on his novels.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 am

Ouch! That first job stings, for sure. Hopefully you didn't let that get to you.

Hahah, love the lipstick stuff. Wish I was a fly on the wall when your wife catches you smearing lipstick on a sheet of paper, followed by you saying, "you know, for the luma matte."

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 am

The job was annoying because they were talking about the possibility of having regular work and dangling everything that would make this venture a success so for to fall apart like that was quite frustrating, But on the other hand, I was quite glad to be out of a stressful situation.

It turns out lipstick is actually quite pricey and rubbing it across a sheet of paper for texture uses more than you'd think. It was an interesting conversation...

On Monday I went to London to do some photography for a theatre show. The producer seemed quite stressed as one of the cast hadn't shown up and it was refreshing to not be the one who has to solve all those problems for once.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Faldor wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 am
On Monday I went to London to do some photography for a theatre show. The producer seemed quite stressed as one of the cast hadn't shown up and it was refreshing to not be the one who has to solve all those problems for once.
I can imagine that it'd be difficult to pull of a performance under said circumstances.

NathanM

Post by NathanM » Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 am

Hope everything goes well for you. And congrats. Something I'm looking at myself.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed May 17, 2017 9:44 am

NathanM wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 am
Hope everything goes well for you. And congrats. Something I'm looking at myself.
Well, it turns out everything is really difficult. I've had one client commissioned me for a job and then tell me they don't actually have the money but they will totally pay me when they do. I had another client book me for some VFX work and then pushed the shoot back two or three months. On their own nothing major but at the same time, I've lost a months worth of rent and bills.

No one said it was going to be easier I suppose.

I've been applying for work left, right and centre mainly in motion graphics and some in VFX. I did hear back from a local production house who were looking for a producer/camera op (who could also do their own editing) since my portfolio is geared towards post I didn't expect much but I got message asking about my production experience and linked to some short films and corporate editing that I've done. I offered to do some spec work since my examples weren't exactly the kind of video that they produced. I'll probably not hear anything but it's given me a new direction to take my portfolio.

And trying to stay positive. It can be difficult to tell when things are going well or not. The client I mentioned at the start of the thread actually came back to me for a quote on a job. However, this turned out to only be a job they were pitching on and not necessarily one that was going ahead.

I'm currently editing a show reel for my wife. You don't often hear about costume designers having show reels but I think it would be a good thing for her webpage and since she's in quite a big network it's another way to get my work out there.