The "I just watched a movie" thread

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Lank

Re: The "I just watched a movie" thread

Post by Lank » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Faldor wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:37 pm
I know with every film someone makes the joke of a 'Cinematic Universe' but I'd love to see a shared world group of WWII films with the same actors playing the same roles across different projects, like how Michael Gambon has played George V in several projects.
That... actually sounds awesome.
"We're here to fuck shit up."

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Mike wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm
Just finished "Moon." WOW. What a cool premise.
Need to revisit MOON. Remember loving it.

Lank

Post by Lank » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Finally saw THE BIG SICK and it was so fucking good!
Brilliant script, and Michael Showalter was a perfect choice for a director to avoid cliches while retaining sentimentality. And I was blown away by the supporting cast, particularly Khamil's family.

One of my favorites of the year.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Saw "IT" last night. 6/10. Don't remember the original, mostly, but this seems better from what I can recall. The clown concept and execution was fantastic and well done. The kids, their acting, their story, etc... I know it's all based on an "old" book at this point, but it absolutely feels dated at this point. A bunch of young dudes alongside one quirky tomboy girl... ya ya, seen it a million fucking times. Let's try something new, yeah?

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is not likely to win any awards, but I bloody enjoyed it.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Sitting through "Sunshine" for the third time. This film should be considered one of the sci-fi greats if it isn't already. Director's commentary is particularly enlightening (no pun intended), and Underworld did an awful lot of the score. The film looks and sounds great.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Mike wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 pm
This film should be considered one of the sci-fi greats.
Actually, it's a terrible film and an affront to cinema.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 pm
Mike wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 pm
This film should be considered one of the sci-fi greats.
Actually, it's a terrible film and an affront to cinema.
How so? I dug how Boyle adhered to actual science as much as the plot would allow (e.g., artificial gravity), that water in the oxygen garden was recycled just through condensation, how cinematography (or VX?) mostly kept red and yellow colors out of the shipboard shots in order to accentuate how HOT and threatening the sun was in exterior shots, and that pretty much any character could die at any time.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 pm

They introduce all the characters at once in a manner that is totally confusing and then have one of them totally change his appearance, the attempt at legit science would be commendable if it wasn't for the plot being so utterly stupid as to negate it and the fact the pilot is able to move the ship without moving the heat shield.

Someone who's job is flying spaceships just forgets how to fly a spaceship. If you point a 747 at a mountain, an alert goes off to the effect of "Warning, you are flying towards a mountain, would you like some help with that."

So why bother getting the keytar playing from D-Ream to sort you out with OG gardens and what not if your movie is just going to be an elaborate set up for an axe-wielding maniac to chase you about??

Want a low-budget British indie? Watch Moon.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 pm
They introduce all the characters at once in a manner that is totally confusing and then have one of them totally change his appearance, the attempt at legit science would be commendable if it wasn't for the plot being so utterly stupid as to negate it and the fact the pilot is able to move the ship without moving the heat shield.

Someone who's job is flying spaceships just forgets how to fly a spaceship. If you point a 747 at a mountain, an alert goes off to the effect of "Warning, you are flying towards a mountain, would you like some help with that."

So why bother getting the keytar playing from D-Ream to sort you out with OG gardens and what not if your movie is just going to be an elaborate set up for an axe-wielding maniac to chase you about??
Good points. The third one (the third act) is the main detractor for me. Still thoroughly enjoyed the film for, what you've pointed out, are the technical aspects. So maybe that's what I really enjoy in a film. As for introducing all the characters at once, that just eliminates the tedium of backstory and pushes the narrative...otherwise it might've ended up more like Armageddon.
Faldor wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 pm
Want a low-budget British indie? Watch Moon.
I did! Loved it. The only comment I could make on it is "WOW." Wasn't as pretty as Sunlight though.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:32 am

I loved "Sunshine", if that counts for anything. Ending wasn't great, but meh!

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:26 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:32 am
I loved "Sunshine", if that counts for anything.
It does not ;)

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:32 am
I loved "Sunshine", if that counts for anything. Ending wasn't great, but meh!
And that settles that.
Faldor wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:26 am
It does not ;)
And THAT settlement has been settled.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:30 am

Last movie I saw in theatres was "mother!", a movie people either love or hate. I'm in the love camp.

My most recent 'movie nobody's heard of I'm recommending like a madman' is "Girl Asleep", a quirky Australian comedy with fantastical elements. I'm blatantly copy-pasting this from Facebook:

This is an offbeat little Australian movie about an awkward teenage girl. Reviews frequently compare it to some mix of "Napoleon Dynamite", Wes Anderson, Buñuel and Bettelheim. I'll accept that.

You see, what I liked about "Napoleon Dynamite" was not so much the lines or the oddball characters as the style of it; maybe I was just in a good mood that day, but it seemed to me that the filmmakers had found a way to frame and pace the shots that set a certain vibe.

That's totally on display here, and it astonishes me that "Girl Asleep" is adapted from a stage play and helmed by its stage director, Rosemary Myers, making her film debut, because felicity with cinematic grammar abounds. She draws you into a world in just a little bit of a dream state., with an off-kilter, slightly handmade feel.

There isn't a weak performance in the bunch--Bethany Whitmore in the lead is particularly right to play a passive protagonist whose default state seems to be 'quietly wounded'--and the 1970s sets and costumes lend humor and warmth without reducing the flick to a parody.

"Girl Asleep" is far from a perfect project. Hell, I'll admit it: there's a 15-minute weak patch in a 77-minute movie. Most critics find that the second half's extended flight of fancy tries their patience and isn't as fresh as the filmmakers seem to think it is. I won't argue.

But there's enough to like in the first half of the film that I was sufficiently blown away. I felt somehow jealous of audiences that had encountered this thing at festivals first; I wished I could have been among the first to see this little oddity.

Lank

Post by Lank » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:45 pm

mother!
Not sure if I "liked" it but I appreciated the hell out of it and I'm glad I saw it. Once I figured out what I think it was really about halfway through, I was very on board.

KINGSMEN 2 THE SECOND ONE
Good enough. Fun. Some interesting fights and visuals. Why was Channing Tatum in this movie though?

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 am

Preparing my soul for Blade Runner 2049 tonight.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 am
Preparing my soul for Blade Runner 2049 tonight.
“The good news about life on Earth, thirty-two years from now, is that people still listen to Frank Sinatra.”
- The New Yorker, in next issue's review of "Blade Runner 2049"

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Blade Runner 2049. A perfect sequel. When a movie shows you not one, not two but about ten things you've never seen before (in a film), it's a good reminder that there's still countless stories to tell... and a BETTER way to tell them.

It's not a perfect film, but neither was the original, and this is pretty damn close. Need to watch again.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:08 am

Saw "The Disaster Artist" last night with Lank.

It was awesome. Any movie with both a Poquito Mas reference AND an Ernie's cameo almost qualifies for greatest movie of all time. (long shot, but yeah... have I told you about my love for Mexican food?)

(Meanwhile, Ernie's is quietly becoming a pop culture icon now that it has been in this movie AND is a spot that Rian Johnson and Edgar Wright are known to frequent for margaritas).

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Justice League? More like -- There is No Justice ...League.