In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:58 am

The trailer is finally up for the show I've been slaving away on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZFvOYRckU

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Lance » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Looking forward to binge watching the hell out of this.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm

HOMECOMING billboards litter the streets of LA. Reviews are solid, so that almost makes the PTSD worth it.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:55 am

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm
...that almost makes the PTSD worth it.
The sigworthy Chad Peter, ladies and gentlemen, the sigworthy Chad Peter.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

User avatar
Faldor
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol, Again.
Contact:

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Faldor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 am

I watched the first episode of Homecoming, it was good but I didn't see any effects...

Try harder next time Chad!

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 am
I watched the first episode of Homecoming, it was good but I didn't see any effects...

Try harder next time Chad!
I HAVE FAILED YOU.

No, but seriously I want to know when you see shitty VFX.

User avatar
Faldor
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol, Again.
Contact:

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Faldor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:39 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:14 pm
No, but seriously I want to know when you see shitty VFX.
There was a couple of dodgy driving plates in House Of Cards, clearly they need you back!

Between Homecoming, House Of Cards and the BBC series Bodyguard, it's been a pretty grim weekend of telly. I had to dig out some Monty Python after all that.

The original TV series has popped up on netflix and I've not really seen it, Python wasn't really known to anyone under 30 when I was growing up as the BBC doesn't seem to have repeated it after about 1990. As a teenager I had to seek out VHS' of the movies.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:20 pm

hahaha, every last driving plate from House of Cards was done with outside vendors. Mindhunter season two will be the first time we do those plates in-house, for better or worse.

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Everett Washington
Contact:

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Faldor wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:39 am
Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:14 pm
No, but seriously I want to know when you see shitty VFX.
There was a couple of dodgy driving plates in House Of Cards, clearly they need you back!

Hah, I was just laughing at that. Some physics defying freeway action. Like passing a traffic jam on an infinite off ramp.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Fortunately I was able to convince them to shoot on real moving cars in HOMECOMING... even though it nearly killed us to have to paint-out all the city lights in the background of some of the "middle of nowhere swamp" shots in episode three of homecoming. Long story short: film wherever your scene is supposed to take place.

Tony
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Tony » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:26 pm

So, I got out of the Air Force in 2016 and moved closer to DC, still in Virginia though. Still just the 4 kids (13, 11, 8, and 6 - all girls).

Became a government contractor/intelligence analyst for a while. Separated from my wife in the summer of 2017, divorce was finalized earlier this year. Ended my intelligence contracting job earlier this year too, started working for a local political campaign. My first paid campaign work, and my client/candidate defeated the incumbent in the primary election in June, so that was cool. Now I am working for the campaign as the general election approaches. Managed to turn that gig into a job with a local political communications firm, mostly doing email marketing and fundraising and such. I started last week. They are developing an in house video team that I gave a few bits of advice to the team regarding camera angles and lighting and shot framing and such, and then got invited to do a test shoot last week and did a quick edit (in Davinci Resolve - never used it before but it seems pretty intuitive) and now they keep looking to me like I have all the answers they seek. I haven't done much with video in quite a while, so I am relearning/refreshing my memory on how to do stuff. Next week I think we are going to tackle greenscreen work, so that will be interesting. And I'm getting paid for it, so hey.

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Tony wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:26 pm
So, I got out of the Air Force in 2016 and moved closer to DC, still in Virginia though. Still just the 4 kids (13, 11, 8, and 6 - all girls).

Became a government contractor/intelligence analyst for a while. Separated from my wife in the summer of 2017, divorce was finalized earlier this year. Ended my intelligence contracting job earlier this year too, started working for a local political campaign. My first paid campaign work, and my client/candidate defeated the incumbent in the primary election in June, so that was cool. Now I am working for the campaign as the general election approaches. Managed to turn that gig into a job with a local political communications firm, mostly doing email marketing and fundraising and such. I started last week. They are developing an in house video team that I gave a few bits of advice to the team regarding camera angles and lighting and shot framing and such, and then got invited to do a test shoot last week and did a quick edit (in Davinci Resolve - never used it before but it seems pretty intuitive) and now they keep looking to me like I have all the answers they seek. I haven't done much with video in quite a while, so I am relearning/refreshing my memory on how to do stuff. Next week I think we are going to tackle greenscreen work, so that will be interesting. And I'm getting paid for it, so hey.
Hah, nice, Tony - How'd it feel to dive back into video post?

I've just wrapped work on Mr. Robot season four and I'm beat. For the first time in (i can't remember how many) years, I've got no job lined up - and I'm beyond STOKED for that, even though god only knows what's next. Universal got me into the Directors Guild of America as a "Director", so now I can be hired on tv shows, studio films and such, but have no clue how to start doing such a thing, outside of cold calling agencies in the hopes to get representation as a director (that process will start next week, when Hollywood returns from vacation). In the mean time, I'm trying to refocus on "Black Flower" and another short - though I can't technically direct anything if it's not a UNION film now. :-/

User avatar
Faldor
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol, Again.
Contact:

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Faldor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:07 am

Congrats on getting into the guild, that sound very exciting. You'll be fired from a Star Wars project in no time!

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:46 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:07 am
Congrats on getting into the guild, that sound very exciting. You'll be fired from a Star Wars project in no time!
A rite of passage!

And thank you!

Bryan
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 am

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Bryan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 pm
Universal got me into the Directors Guild of America as a "Director", so now I can be hired on tv shows, studio films and such, but have no clue how to start doing such a thing, outside of cold calling agencies in the hopes to get representation as a director (that process will start next week, when Hollywood returns from vacation). In the mean time, I'm trying to refocus on "Black Flower" and another short - though I can't technically direct anything if it's not a UNION film now. :-/
Congrats sir. How did Universal get you in? Does this mean you can't direct "Freddy 2: The Return of Mr. Ice Cream"?

User avatar
Chad Peter
Site Admin
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: In which we discuss the things for which we are paid...

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Bryan wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:22 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 pm
Universal got me into the Directors Guild of America as a "Director", so now I can be hired on tv shows, studio films and such, but have no clue how to start doing such a thing, outside of cold calling agencies in the hopes to get representation as a director (that process will start next week, when Hollywood returns from vacation). In the mean time, I'm trying to refocus on "Black Flower" and another short - though I can't technically direct anything if it's not a UNION film now. :-/
Congrats sir. How did Universal get you in? Does this mean you can't direct "Freddy 2: The Return of Mr. Ice Cream"?
hahah, people would be so lucky for us to unleash "Freddy 2: The Return of Mr. Ice Cream" onto the world.

I asked to direct the 2nd unit on Mr Robot this season, and they gave me some scenes to shoot (as well as all the inserts for the season), but in order to lead those teams I have to join the union - which I can only do if Universal agrees to hire me (they have to send the contract to the DGA and the DGA contacted me to say "congrats! now pay us money to join." In a nutshell.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests