It Follows

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Mike

It Follows

Post by Mike » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Chad introduced me to "It Follows" a few years ago, a film about a...creature? Entity? that follows the last person who had sex and, on a capture/kill of the last person to get lucky, follows the most recent person "biblically related" to the deceased. And on down the line. The Creature/Entity is invisible to anybody who isn't "related" to it, and while supernatural, seems foiled by the physical world...locked doors stop it, it only moves by foot (think slow zombies), it gets shot (but gets back up) - things like that. So it's basically an ambulatory STD.

I recently watched the film a couple of times and am trying not to let logic interfere with my enjoyment of it.

A Chad question: Why not move to Australia? Good luck walking on water and all of that. This seems like a good idea, especially since a Google Map search shows Perth as being one of the most geographically-inaccessible cities to Denver (for example).

For that matter, why didn't the kids just keep moving? The thing travels on foot; just driving between Denver and Colorado Springs every day, a daily commute for many, would keep it walking back and forth without actually getting anywhere. Given the right job and/or credit limit, flying between cities would be even better - New York to LA once a week, or New York to London.

The thing can get hit, and it gets hurt - so why not *really* hurt it? Say everybody sleeps with everybody else so everybody can see the thing, and then everybody unloads on it with at least a semi-auto. Hamburger. Then fire. Then...well, whatever, but this is the question that makes me wonder if it's a meatworld monster or something spiritual.

Trap it in a well? Or quarry, or some such? While stopped by locked doors, the thing can apparently fly, or at least climb, since when whats-her-face is driving away from an encounter, it manifests itself by standing on her roof. Again, this is applying too much logic to an indie horror flick.

How the film ended is quite brilliant, even though it didn't follow through.

There's apparently a spec script floating around where the survivors of it try to follow it back to its "biblical" source - who fucked who fucked who fucked who...etc... this actually sounds really interesting. It'd be cool to see something come of it.

Thoughts?
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: It Follows

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:41 am

haha, someone wrote a spec script? Was it a fan fiction?

On an aside: you may love (or absolutely hate) this director's follow-up film "Under the Silver Lake", now available via digital rental, etc. Be sure to clear your calendar - it's a long one.

Okay, back on topic.

I imagine the kids would move if they were adults that could afford it, but I never believed they were mature enough to convince anyone else of the horror that followed them. They also weren't entirely successful in convincing adults there was a REAL danger. Can you imagine a group of teens trying to convince you this was happening to them? Would you help? I sure as hell wouldn't.

The "creature" appeared to be smart enough that it could adapt to some things, perhaps even death (the last shot of the movie), so I'm not unconvinced it wouldn't figure out how to ride a boat or some shit across the globe (or walk, though the abysses of the world might create some issues). I'm in love with the concept, however - even if you move away, you know it's out there. Even if it takes twenty years to walk to Perth, I think you'd be comfortable for about a week before terrible anxiety would set in. Only clear option is to hop a ride to the moon - and stay there.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Re: It Follows

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 am

"Under the Silver Lake" trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwgUesU1pz4