The Hell With This Podcast #71 - "The English Patient" (1996)

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #71 - "The English Patient" (1996)

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Ep. 71 - “The English Patient” (1996)

Okay, sure - this week's movie isn't exactly "underrated", considering it won ALL THE OSCARS in 1996, but hey - it still seems to have slipped under most peoples' radars, so here we are. Chad and Mark are back (and so very rusty at this whole podcasting thing), but gosh-darnit - they're gonna sit down and watch a movie together. Side note: my god, "The English Patient" has one of the worst trailers of all time.

Performers of note: Ralph Fiennes, Kristen Scott Thomas, Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe, Naveen Andrews, Colin Firth

Imdb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116209/fullcredits

DIRECT DOWNLOAD - http://traffic.libsyn.com/thehellwithth ... ATIENT.mp3
0071-theenglishpatient.jpg
0071-theenglishpatient.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 6341 times

Lance

Re: "The Hell With This" Podcast #71 - "The English Patient" (1996)

Post by Lance » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Will listen to, and possibly comment on, soon.

Busy watching Ice Pirates.

I'm not really watching Ice Pirates, maybe later.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:25 pm

hahaha the bitterness is real.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:25 pm
Heh, nah, I think it's funny. Poor Mark though, I have many more suggestions...Muhuhuhaahaaa!!

My goal now is to find a movie that Mark thinks is worse than Ice Pirates. Gonna' have to dig deep.

Just as a personal goal though, not for the podcast.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 pm
Chad Peter wrote:
Heh, nah, I think it's funny. Poor Mark though, I have many more suggestions...Muhuhuhaahaaa!!

My goal now is to find a movie that Mark thinks is worse than Ice Pirates. Gonna' have to dig deep.

I nominate "Cheerleader Ninjas" (2003). But definitely for the podcast. The podcast must flow.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am

Mike wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 am
Lance wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:

I nominate "Cheerleader Ninjas" (2003). But definitely for the podcast. The podcast must flow.
Oh Jesus. The only movie Mark might hate more than Ice Pirates, is Cheerleader Ninjas. Pretty sure that the director or producer actually called him out on twitter way back when Mark wrote his review of the film, back in... 2006?

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 am

Chad Peter wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am
Oh Jesus. The only movie Mark might hate more than Ice Pirates, is Cheerleader Ninjas. Pretty sure that the director or producer actually called him out on twitter way back when Mark wrote his review of the film, back in... 2006?
...and this is why it's a moral imperative for The Podcast.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am
Mike wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 am
Lance wrote:

Seems like we have a contender. I have never seen Cheerleader Ninjas, now I must!

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Finally got a chance to listen. I took notes and am replying in order.

Honestly, you guys are the first people I've known to have this kind of reaction to Ice Pirates. Didn't mean to traumatize you, I'm not sure if there's some sort of therapy for exposure to such a terrible waste of time, but as long as it keeps getting mentioned I will keep laughing at your pain :lol: .

I'm eagerly awaiting the new season of Mr. Robot and have tried to introduce as many people as I can to this show.

It took my wife and I years to go on our honeymoon, totally worth the wait.

Trick 'R Treat (not to be confused with the 1986 movie "Trick or Treat"...which you guys would LOVE by the way ;P) Is my go to Halloween night anthology. They manage to capture the atmosphere in that movie that just embodies the spirit of Halloween.

I disagree whole heartedly about Love, Death, and Robots. Take that for what it's worth nowadays.

The English Patient, was super long, and felt super long. A great movie, just a chore to watch with nothing that stood out to me as remarkably memorable to me today.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:12 pm

At some point we for sure need to do Trick 'R Treat - (even though I've since heard the director is a complete tool bag) - and today we joked about doing Mr Robot for the podcast, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road, given how close I am to it. WHO KNOWS. I don't think Mark has seen the pilot episode, so maybe.

I would like to say that I don't hate The Ice Pirates in the same way that Mark does. I'm not really sure why he hates it so much. haha, I've seen so much worse.

Still need to see Love, Death and Robots.

Fair nuff about English Patient. It's... not for everyone. I didn't see it until I was in the mood for it - but I remember that when it came out, I was like "who would want to see that garbage?"

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 pm

They just announced a Trick 'r Treat 2. I'm always wary of a sequel made so far from the original. They never seem to hit whatever it is that makes the first worthy of adding to. I know nothing about Dougherty, but knowing the rampant nature of douchbaggery in Hollywood, I can imagine.

You want to see a really terrible movie? Peter Jackson's first movie "Bad Taste" , it's in the title. It does fall into the category of "it's so bad, it's good" but, it's really, really bad on every level. Full movie is on YouTube.

Like I said, The English Patient is a good movie, there's nothing about the movie that I didn't particularly like. It's just like Laurence of Arabia or Casablanca, Watch it once for it's epic nature and appreciation of film, but glance over it in the DVD collection when I'm looking for something to watch. I have many really good movies that just sit there because it takes effort to dedicate that much time to the story. And yet I'll binge two seasons of a show in one sitting...but not if I've already seen that season, I guess.