TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Lance

Re: TEAM 3 - Faldor / Lance / Owen W. / (Fig)

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:40 pm

IT'S DONE!!!!

Except for the credit roll which I'll put on tomorrow...

Two years and two months for a twelve minute short, worth every second.

I should have it up for restricted viewing within a couple of days so you guys can check it out and hopefully give some feedback. I don't know if it's worthy of submitting to local festivals or whatnot but I don't want to make it public until I know one way or the other. Either way, it's my first and best effort so far. Ready to start working on the next idea, whatever that will be.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Nice. Niiiiice. And well fucking done.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:20 pm
Nice. Niiiiice. And well fucking done.
Thanks man!

And now a question about credits: Who gets a Producer credit? Obviously me, but is there anyone else I should include?

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Okay, it's up and ready, How should I do this? Should I start a new topic or link it here? Should I just post the password or have people PM me?

After watching it again there's some shots and transitions that could be tweaked or smoothed out but I'm just going to leave it as a learning experience and move forward. I don't think I'll be submitting it to any festivals but I don't want to make it public until I get some feedback.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Well, let's see it yo.

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:08 am

Alright, alright, the password is: snarkylark

https://vimeo.com/307887469

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:03 am

It's a miracle, a Christmas miracle!

Lance, that is far too good for a first effort. You're supposed to have terrible sound and slightly overexposed images the whole time!

I like the jib shot as he gets out of the car at 02:55.

Gotta wonder how many NP2k films have featured the forum now?

One suggestion I might make is to have a play scale down the opening logos by half and try out some different fonts for the title cards. That would really step it up a notch.

Title scrolls used to be one of the hardest things to do because if a line didn't travel a whole pixel in a frame you got a weird jittery effect. Every time.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Faldor wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:03 am

Lance, that is far too good for a first effort. You're supposed to have terrible sound and slightly overexposed images the whole time!
I did everything I could to make the sound as tinny and hollow as possible just so I could feel those wonderful elevated levels of frustration as I attempted to make something not audibly cringe-worthy . I also made sure to give myself as much work as possible by not setting my white balance or exposure at any given opportunity.
Faldor wrote:
I like the jib shot as he gets out of the car at 02:55.
Thanks man! I thought about making a jib, but I used a slider on a tripod to get that shot. I just drifted it up the slider set at an angle by hand. Tried to re-create the shot at the end but missed on the framing and timing.
Faldor wrote:
One suggestion I might make is to have a play scale down the opening logos by half and try out some different fonts for the title cards. That would really step it up a notch.

Title scrolls used to be one of the hardest things to do because if a line didn't travel a whole pixel in a frame you got a weird jittery effect. Every time.
Noted for the next project. There's plenty of room for polish on this turd, there's some really jarring transitions both visually and audibly that I could go back in and smooth out, but I'd rather put that energy into something new. I've seen this thing way too many times to want to make it perfect anymore. Maybe I'll revisit it in the future but, for now, it is what it is.

On another note, I just acquired my first cine glass!! Nothing extravagant, just a Bower 16mm T2.2 wide angle Nikon mount, but what a difference! Long, smooth focus is awesome. I've only played around with it a little but I love the wide angle with minimal distortion around the edges, no fisheye. Will make those interior shots feel not so claustrophobic and make for some nice exterior establishing shots, I think.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:48 am

I liked your small subtle camera movement in the opening, and your use of shadow. A quibble: “thier” in the opening titles should be “their”.

I thought the cuts of the car driving sequence came together well.

The zoom on the lighter was perhaps an example of an effect out of nowhere that I didn’t think served you. Unless the implication is that the lighter was important because it summoned some ghosts or somethin’.

The sound work in the running-through-the-trees stuff came out well.

I liked the way you showcased the wild environment in the bit where the woman walks into the woods. Almost looks otherworldly.

I don’t remember what tips I gave you, but hey, happy to help :p

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Adam Bertocci wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:48 am
I liked your small subtle camera movement in the opening, and your use of shadow. A quibble: “thier” in the opening titles should be “their”.
Crap, why didn't I (or anyone until now) notice that earlier? will fix pronto.

Adam Bertocci wrote:
The zoom on the lighter was perhaps an example of an effect out of nowhere that I didn’t think served you. Unless the implication is that the lighter was important because it summoned some ghosts or somethin’.
Nope, just trying out every technique that I could and thought it was fun. I think I placed more importance on the scene than the viewer because I noticed that he was smoking when we shot the phone scene without lighting a cigarette in the previous scenes so we shot that scene to fill in for my continuity oversight. I'll save the fancier shit for key story points in the future;)

Adam Bertocci wrote:
I thought the cuts of the car driving sequence came together well.

The sound work in the running-through-the-trees stuff came out well.

I liked the way you showcased the wild environment in the bit where the woman walks into the woods. Almost looks otherworldly.

I don’t remember what tips I gave you, but hey, happy to help :p
Cut on action, character has left the scene once their nose has left, try to keep subjects near the same area of the frame when cutting between scenes so the eye doesn't need to refocus on the action. Those were the tips I remember.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to go fix my spelling and re-render so I can re-upload...

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Aaand, in the process of changing my spelling error, I went in to tweak the sign in the scene that I covered up the houses and somehow unfroze my rotobrush causing all kinds of awesome things to happen. In the process of trying to fix said awesome things, said awesome things got progressively worse until said awesome things spiraled so far out of control that I am now redoing the rotobrush layers entirely from the beginning. Whoops. :lol:

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Or, after watching the version I have up, I unfroze the roto on the scene before I rendered it. Subliminal artifacts floating about. New version , spell corrected and reworked, is rendering. I'll put it up tomorrow. I'm going to have a quick look at what film fests look for but I'll probably just make this one public.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 am

I hate to say this after you've redone all the work, but you can always the Adobe After Effects Auto-Save folder in case a back up was saved there.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Faldor wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 am
I hate to say this after you've redone all the work, but you can always the Adobe After Effects Auto-Save folder in case a back up was saved there.
It had already saved over it before I noticed there was an issue, which was after I uploaded it to Vimeo. Oh well, rotobrush is super fun to do on a scene that was not planned for rotobrush, has indistinct edges with no contrast, and a healthy dose of dust wafting up to obscure what little you do have.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm

New link, no password required.

https://vimeo.com/309657468

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 pm

FUCKING FINALLY I'm getting caught up on the things that matter: the ongoings of the NP2k'verse.

Lance. WELL FUCKING DONE, INDEED. You, sir, are a golden god.

Couple things:

1.) This whole process showed you have the perseverance needed to make this kinda shit happen. Way to follow through, mate.

2.) I've said this before and seen it said by others here in this thread: First films by directors are rarely, if ever, this solid on the whole. Not to bloat your ego, but I hope you continue making movies because this is a great start. Have you seen my first film? LOLOLOLOLOL. I probably would have quit if not for my editing teacher saying I had "an eye for editing." You seem to have the eye for editing and also in putting the finishing touches together to wrap a bow on the whole thing nicely. Is it perfect? No, but it's a fantastic start.

3.) Well I guess this means we can start putting together the NEXT NP2k film fest. hahaha... As long as we keep having at least ONE final project, we'll continue this shit.

4.) What's next?

5.) As far as doing any clean up work on this - beyond what you've done already - I'd say call it done and move on to the next one! I didn't see anything that stood as as absolutely needing clean up.

6.) Feels good to see the forum represented in a film again.

7.) You gonna screen this around Seattle at all?

8.) Congrats and solid job.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 pm
FUCKING FINALLY I'm getting caught up on the things that matter: the ongoings of the NP2k'verse.
Should be quick ;) I think we understand that the lady and job have priority over the forum, It's nice to see you pop in from time to time.
Chad Peter wrote:
Lance. WELL FUCKING DONE, INDEED. You, sir, are a golden god.
That's just the ginger effect, the light hits the hair just right and we get this kinda golden aura thing going on, easy mistake.
Chad Peter wrote:
Couple things:

1.) This whole process showed you have the perseverance needed to make this kinda shit happen. Way to follow through, mate.
Dude, so many setbacks... so worth it.
Chad Peter wrote:
2.) I've said this before and seen it said by others here in this thread: First films by directors are rarely, if ever, this solid on the whole. Not to bloat your ego, but I hope you continue making movies because this is a great start. Have you seen my first film? LOLOLOLOLOL. I probably would have quit if not for my editing teacher saying I had "an eye for editing." You seem to have the eye for editing and also in putting the finishing touches together to wrap a bow on the whole thing nicely. Is it perfect? No, but it's a fantastic start.
Oh I'm definitly going to make more movies, even when it seemed like everything was working against this ever getting finished I still wanted to dive in and work on it. I honestly didn't expect it to be received this well, I was expecting it to get ripped apart like I tend to do, nit picking anything I've done until all I see are the flaws, dismissing the good stuff as not needing any attention. It takes me a minute to step back and enjoy the fruits of labor but, when I finally do, I just want to do it more. Thank you, and everyone who has had kind words and encouragement now and throughout, It is much appreciated.
Chad Peter wrote:
3.) Well I guess this means we can start putting together the NEXT NP2k film fest. hahaha... As long as we keep having at least ONE final project, we'll continue this shit.
I'm down!
Chad Peter wrote:
4.) What's next?
I have a couple of rough ideas jotted down for some shorter shorts, one of which I'm more focused on because I think I can get done relatively quickly once I can get the actors locked and the costume fitted. It would be shot in the old bootleg tunnels/boiler room that I showed you. I'll also need a large novelty axe, I can add the squeek in post.
There's also talk of a tattoo shop based comedy youtube series for which I have many ideas, but making it happen and getting the line deliveries that would be needed to pull off what's in my head might prove challenging. I want to get a pilot episode written so I can see if these guys could hit the lines, the chemistry is there already, but it's deadpan humor so it has to be fluid. I don't know if anyone here has watched a show called Letterkenny but that kind of vibe.
Chad Peter wrote:
5.) As far as doing any clean up work on this - beyond what you've done already - I'd say call it done and move on to the next one! I didn't see anything that stood as as absolutely needing clean up.
Oh there's a ton that could be addressed, both visually and audibly, but I call this one done and out there.
Chad Peter wrote:
6.) Feels good to see the forum represented in a film again.
Happy to help the cause.
Chad Peter wrote:
7.) You gonna screen this around Seattle at all?
I might look around at what's out there in this area, but I'd need to look into making a DCP. I understand there are ways that I could go about it myself but I've never made one. I think I can still submit to some even though I posted it on social media, pretty sure I would just need to take it offline for the duration of the festival. Anyway, looking into it and I'll let you know. Otherwise I'm just happy to have it out there.
Chad Peter wrote:
8.) Congrats and solid job.
Thanks man.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Just submitted to SIFF. Don't really expect much but doesn't hurt to try, right? Only thing that worries me is getting a DCP together if I need it, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm

What I always say is that if you get into a festival that's good enough to require a DCP, it's a good problem to have.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Adam Bertocci wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm
What I always say is that if you get into a festival that's good enough to require a DCP, it's a good problem to have.
Good point. SIFF does say their preferred format is DCP, but having my first attempt at a short selected out of 2000+ entries is unlikely. A boy can dream.