Creative malaise

The original NP2k Film Forum
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Creative malaise

Post by Chad Peter »

Curious who else out there - of this old group - has been struck with a general lack of creative ambition when it comes to filmmaking. I used to have a clear path of what kinds of films I wanted to make, and what they meant specifically *to me* - but that ambition has wained, whether due to lack of time or just a general disinterest in wanting to *add to the holy clusterfuck* of CONTENT that's being blasted into our eyeballs. I still have stories I want to tell, but they're just sitting back, festering, and I'm not sure how best to, uh... convey them.

Anyone feeling this way?
Ornsack

Re: Creative malaise

Post by Ornsack »

When I joined NP2k making live action movies was all I could think about. It was my life, from childhood to early 30s.

The thought of making something sounds exhausting now. Not a bone in my body wants to command a whole crew (travelling around Australia with some equipment and two actors sounds fun though).

I am currently making a short in Blender. I have no deadline and no crew. Much more my style. I do hope I get the old creative tastes come back though.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter »

What's the last short film you made? I've been considering a return to short filmmaking - or SOMETHING to be a bit more energetic. As much as I love doing no budget unscripted bullshit, it's not what I cut my teeth on back in school, by any stretch.
Lance

Post by Lance »

I still have the will, the time and the means are what I’m struggling with. I just want to do shorts right now but I keep pushing into ideas that are way too ambitious and trying to edit them back into what I’m realistically capable of. And those ideas are distracting me from the main project that I want to get done. I’m getting back on track now though…I hope. Having to deal with a new owner at work, who is the widow of the old owner and has no clue how things work in the industry but has a fuck ton of bad ideas that I should be doing, has kept me in a bad place mentally for the past few months as well. Hopefully through the worst of it now though.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter »

Lance wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:55 amHaving to deal with a new owner at work, who is the widow of the old owner and has no clue how things work in the industry but has a fuck ton of bad ideas that I should be doing
Thaaaaat sucks. Think you'll stick around there or take your talents elsewhere?

Looking forward to seeing what you DO with your next film, whatever it is. I certainly hear you on the whole eyes bigger than your stomach, as far as what's actually achievable. I'm starting to think about saving up $20k to dump into a massive short film, or something. I feel the need to do a fully-crewed project that is in line with my ultimate goal. To date, I only have the Lucy Hale fashion film that fits the mold of the type of movies I actually want to make. Road to Perth was fun and all, but it was an experiment...
Lance

Post by Lance »

Chad Peter wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:19 pm
Time will tell. Not ready to kick it down the road yet but there has been a moment of thought put into tossing all of my shit into the back of my truck and handing over my keys. It is what it is and will be what it becomes.

What’s going on with Black Flower? That kind of project probably needs studio backing no doubt. Do you have something you’ve already got your mind around for this short film you speak of?
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Chad Peter wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:58 pm What's the last short film you made? I've been considering a return to short filmmaking - or SOMETHING to be a bit more energetic. As much as I love doing no budget unscripted bullshit, it's not what I cut my teeth on back in school, by any stretch.
Filmed something November 2020 in a rush before the second UK lockdown, thinking I'd need something to do. It sits half finished on my hard drive. There's just not enough time these days to get it finished!

That's why I'm enjoying animating a short, as I'm working a shot at a time all the way to sound effects. Sat looking at that other live action short thinking "I need to do 30 unpaid VFX shots in between my paid work" hardly fills me with motivation.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter »

Lance wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:36 am
Chad Peter wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:19 pm
Time will tell. Not ready to kick it down the road yet but there has been a moment of thought put into tossing all of my shit into the back of my truck and handing over my keys. It is what it is and will be what it becomes.

What’s going on with Black Flower? That kind of project probably needs studio backing no doubt. Do you have something you’ve already got your mind around for this short film you speak of?
BF is actually still moving along - kinda - in the casting phase at the moment. I've hired a casting director, who has helped get the script into the hands of a few actresses. We've currently put an offer out to Keri Russell - she's had the script for most of the holidays so far and I assume we'll hear back the first week of January. IF we get a "yes" response, then we scramble to secure the money and get the rest of the lead actors attached. Until then, we've received a "no" from Jennifer Connelly, Vera Farmiga, Jessica Biel, Vanessa Kirby, and probably someone else - which have almost all been suggestions from the financier (but I'd be happy to work with any of them, obviously). They've at least received the script - not sure who has actually read it. I've been told since the beginning that it will be very difficult to land an actress of any clout with such a violent script. We'll see! It's been an interesting process, regardless.
Ornsack wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:52 am
Chad Peter wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:58 pm What's the last short film you made? I've been considering a return to short filmmaking - or SOMETHING to be a bit more energetic. As much as I love doing no budget unscripted bullshit, it's not what I cut my teeth on back in school, by any stretch.
Filmed something November 2020 in a rush before the second UK lockdown, thinking I'd need something to do. It sits half finished on my hard drive. There's just not enough time these days to get it finished!

That's why I'm enjoying animating a short, as I'm working a shot at a time all the way to sound effects. Sat looking at that other live action short thinking "I need to do 30 unpaid VFX shots in between my paid work" hardly fills me with motivation.
haha, I know that feeling. Right now I'm struggling to even do the PAID VFX work with any motivation.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Chad Peter wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:00 pmhaha, I know that feeling. Right now I'm struggling to even do the PAID VFX work with any motivation.
Indeed, realised recently I’d reached my childhood dream and yet I find I cannot be assed to do it anymore. I just want to play video games and watch TV :D
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter »

Ornsack wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:37 pm
Chad Peter wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:00 pmhaha, I know that feeling. Right now I'm struggling to even do the PAID VFX work with any motivation.
Indeed, realised recently I’d reached my childhood dream and yet I find I cannot be assed to do it anymore. I just want to play video games and watch TV :D
Amen! I think that’s why I enjoyed learning Unreal Engine so much - I was like “this is like playing video games!”